Jackie Chan On MMA

The Elemental

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Jackie-Chan-Does-Not-Like-MMA-22150

Chan said. “As a martial artist, I find it too violent putting them in a cage. At the end, it’s not fighting anymore. That’s not the martial arts. Martial arts is about respect. When somebody is knocked down, stop. I really respect Sugar Ray Leonard. Come on, [when a guy is down] stop. Don’t fight. That’s not the spirit. When you’re down, I’ll grab you up. Are you okay? Should we continue? That’s the martial arts spirit. That’s what I want

Martial arts is the practice of self defense. That includes taking action when your opponent hits the ground. Its no more disrespectful to hit a guy on the ground then it is to hit them when they are standing. The only time it would be worse is if the guy is knocked out which is obviously not allowed.

If I can get in my 2 cents for on this subject. As many of you remember me, I'm a huge MMA fan so while I disagree with what Jackie said about MMA, I still respect his opinion and can understand how watching a sanctioned sport where someone gets punched on the ground would be disturbing for him, heck the G'N'P tactic is my least favorite part of MMA. And you know, say what you will about him, still performed many of the worlds most dangerously insane stunts that would make many professional fighters piss their pants. (or in Tim Sylvia's case sh** their pants) Still, considering he actually took up Judo and Boxing (still does boxing workouts) after his years at the Peking Opera school, it's a shame he never took up BJJ, it would've been pretty cool to see him mix his signature acrobatic moves with grappling.

You can't blame him for saying his opinion since he was asked for his opinion on the matter so they got it. Even though he isn't a martial arts fighter (even he said so himself as he considers himself as just an entertainer), I'm sure a young Jackie can still kick my butt since he used to get into brawls during his young years (he mentions one story when after being jumped by a group of thugs, he found a tooth stuck to his fist), then again whatever martial art background you got isn't always relevant in a street brawl.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
LOL... as a lutador, I can't entirely agree with the literal interpretation of his response. I, of course, WANT to knock you down and once you're on the ground, I'm more than happy to keep you there. As Rickson Gracie said, 'I'm a shark and the ground is my ocean. And most people don't even know how to swim."

But if you take a more figurative interpretation of his words, I can agree to an extent.

Training, whether it's MMA, strict BJJ, or any other art, is about building each other up and making each other better. That's really what sparring is about. If your teammate is down, pick him up. If he needs a kick in the ***, motivate him. Do what it takes to make each other better and trust that they're returning the favor.

But competition should be about winning. In my opinion, it's disrespectful to compete without seriously attempting to win. If you're half-assing it and lose, it cheapens the entire thing. Compete within the rules. Remember sportsmanship and all of that, but for pete's sake, play to win.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Still, considering he actually took up Judo and Boxing (still does boxing workouts) after his years at the Peking Opera school, it's a shame he never took up BJJ, it would've been pretty cool to see him mix his signature acrobatic moves with grappling.
Strange. He did Judo and has plenty of qin na and throws in his repetoire, and yet you say he doesn't include grappling. You do realize that BJJ is not the definition of grappling, right?

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Martial arts is the practice of self defense. That includes taking action when your opponent hits the ground. Its no more disrespectful to hit a guy on the ground then it is to hit them when they are standing. The only time it would be worse is if the guy is knocked out which is obviously not allowed."

The interviewer seems to be mixing sport and self defense here, a big but common mistake. If I happan to fall to the ground with an opponant and have to keep fighting to protect myself then hitting him is fine. But, and from a legal and common sense standpoint, if I`m up and he`s down and I follow him to the ground to continue hitting him I`m making a huge tactical error. Either I`m throwing away a chance to get out of there before he draws a weapon or involves his friends, or from a legal standpoint I`m not "defending" myself anymore. I`ve become the agressor, and any injuries I give him can come back and bite me hard in court.

Competition is great great entertainment whether you`re in the ring or watching, but it`s not self defense.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's funny that he respects a ring boxer, when they definitely go harder in striking to the head than you see in MMA matches... And they can stand back up after a serious hit!

In MMA, on one of those knockout strikes, the ref is supposed to jump in and usually calls the fight.

I think Mr. Chan is making a personal comment on his view on MMA and that's cool.

I mean, we can't all be jumping off walls and somersaulting in a faux drunken state with blocks and traps that don't really work, but people try anyway, only to get beat up.

Beacause... that's the REAL martial arts, right?

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Strange. He did Judo and has plenty of qin na and throws in his repetoire, and yet you say he doesn't include grappling. You do realize that BJJ is not the definition of grappling, right?

It's pretty clear to me that he meant "grappling" in the groundfighting sense. Lots of people use the terms interchangably.

Dan Cosgrove

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's amazing how many MMA fans jumped on this. There are many couch-athletes that like to say that TMA sucks, just because they don't see it in the octagon.

I think they see Jackie's response the same way we might look at someone who messes up a self-defense technique because 'the mugger attacked him wrong'.

But honestly, they asked him what he thought. Just because someone likes martial arts doesn't necessarily mean they need to enjoy MMA.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's amazing how many MMA fans jumped on this. There are many couch-athletes that like to say that TMA sucks, just because they don't see it in the octagon.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about over on Sherdog or here?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about over on Sherdog or here?

I don't go on Sherdog, there's nothing though on any MMA sites I do use. No one has mentioned Jackie Chan at all. It's just his personal view, I don't see why he has to like MMA, many people don't like his films. It's just a matter of preference.
I don't see why it's necessary to post that MMA fans say TMA doesn't work either, it's a bit infammatory and not relevant to the OP.

Dan Cosgrove

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Sorry about not explaining that, I was referring to 'experts' I've met offline that seem to get all of their information from Youtube and UFC. They're usually the loud ones at the pub down the block.

I didn't mean to generalize MMA fans, I only meant that the kind of person who would get defensive over Jackie's opinion probably doesn't like what he does anyway. I've simply heard many people use what works in MMA as what works in self-defense.

Granted, I wouldn't go calling Randy Couture a sissy.

I don't know, I'm not quite sure what point I'm trying to make any more, or if I had one to begin with.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry about not explaining that, I was referring to 'experts' I've met offline that seem to get all of their information from Youtube and UFC. They're usually the loud ones at the pub down the block.

I didn't mean to generalize MMA fans, I only meant that the kind of person who would get defensive over Jackie's opinion probably doesn't like what he does anyway. I've simply heard many people use what works in MMA as what works in self-defense.

Granted, I wouldn't go calling Randy Couture a sissy.

I don't know, I'm not quite sure what point I'm trying to make any more, or if I had one to begin with.

I don't think that argument is the point at all. The MMA fans here on MT are pretty much all TMA practitioners.

That being said, the highlight of this thread pertains to Jackie Chan, his view on a fight, and the irony over his comment on MMA versus his views on how a fight should end.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chan said. “
As a martial artist, I find it too violent putting them in a cage. At the end, it’s not fighting anymore. That’s not the martial arts. Martial arts is about respect. When somebody is knocked down, stop. I really respect Sugar Ray Leonard. Come on, [when a guy is down] stop. Don’t fight. That’s not the spirit. When you’re down, I’ll grab you up. Are you okay? Should we continue? That’s the martial arts spirit. That’s what I want

Found the above quote is the OP link

This part of the Op attributed to Mr. Chan does not appear in the article. Not sure whose words, thoughts or opinion it is despite it being linked to Mr. Chan...

Martial arts is the practice of self defense. That includes taking action when your opponent hits the ground. Its no more disrespectful to hit a guy on the ground then it is to hit them when they are standing. The only time it would be worse is if the guy is knocked out which is obviously not allowed.

Regards
Brian King

rizzo

White Belt
Reaction score
Its not MMA he necessarily objects to as it is the ground fighting it displays. This comes from the Buddhist philosophy he was raised with. In China (and several other asian countries) the ground is considered the a place of disgrace.
Example, I've heard that in Muay Thai, that some take offense to throwing a Teep (sp?) to your face, because the bottom of your foot is the dirties part of your body and the face is the cleanest.

Between the cage, and rolling around on the ground, this probably goes against the Buddhist beliefs he was raised with. A ring is a place of honor or a platform where they fight lei tai or san shou. But a cage really doesn't have that connotation in any culture yet, including USA :)

I know some Chinese that dont look at BJJ as a kind of martial art they would ever take cause they cant get passed the idea of being on the ground, even if its a mat. Its a cultural roadblock for them. Personally, I don't have a problem with them having that kind of opinion of MMA despite the fact that I am a fan.

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score

Well if you don't know how to fight on the ground, then you would want to stop.

I think Jackie has a bit of tunnel vision in thinking that a match is only two people standing. MMA mimics a real street fight, and more often than not street fights end on the ground.

Being on the ground doesn't mean you're knocked out, there's still plenty of fight left.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well if you don't know how to fight on the ground, then you would want to stop.

I think Jackie has a bit of tunnel vision in thinking that a match is only two people standing. MMA mimics a real street fight, and more often than not street fights end on the ground.

Being on the ground doesn't mean you're knocked out, there's still plenty of fight left.

MMA mimics a street fight as in there are rules and a referee to separate you when there is a risk of injury ? I think you have your facts wrong sir. It is nothing like a street fight and usually in street fights there are multiple opponents so chances are you won't want to groundfight if there are multiple attackers. MMA is a sport not self-defense . Please understand that.

hzulkar

White Belt
Reaction score
I think Jackie Chans way of thinking is different due to the difference of culture. For some, having these kind of action as a sport is considered as too violent and dishonourable since a sporting event is about respect, honour, fairplay and sportsmanship. You can practice as hard as you want on groundfighting or whatever to prepare yourself for self defense, but only in your dojo, or training hall. But in sports, there are certain rules that some of these guys follow. And in certain cultures, to hit your opponent when he is down in a sporting event is a big no-no when there are audiences as it is considered dishonourable since your are putting him down in front of other people. But you can do that when you are training under the supervision of your teacher or when you are in a real fight. No problem

Just because some guy does not like MMA the sport and the rules does not mean they are against groundfighting or unable to utilise groundfighting. If I'm not mistaken, he is trained in Judo as well. And he is not against Judo or even wrestling since to him, the honour of the two fighters facing each other are protected by the rules.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what's the thinking when both of you are on the ground hitting each other?
People who go to MMA fights know the rules, there's no problem when MMA is on in Japan quite the opposite they have huge audiences for fight nights. if you don't think hitting people on the floor is right, it's easy, don't go to the fight nights. Its a matter of choice.

hzulkar

White Belt
Reaction score
I think we are talking about Jackie's statement and an explanation in order to understand where he is coming from and not what I think about MMA and groundfighting. And I don't think Jackie watches MMA anyway.

Also, Jackie Chan is Chinese not Japanese, they are 2 different cultures with different views of how things should be. And also the fact that he is from an older generation which have a slight difference in terms of values from the younger generation. The topic is to discuss Jackie's statement and I just give my explanation of why he says those things based on my opinion and understanding of his background and culture and to give an explanation from previous statements that he does not know groundfighting when in fact he has studied Judo.

Cheers

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are talking about Jackie's statement and an explanation in order to understand where he is coming from and not what I think about MMA and groundfighting. And I don't think Jackie watches MMA anyway.

Also, Jackie Chan is Chinese not Japanese, they are 2 different cultures with different views of how things should be. And also the fact that he is from an older generation which have a slight difference in terms of values from the younger generation. The topic is to discuss Jackie's statement and I just give my explanation of why he says those things based on my opinion and understanding of his background and culture and to give an explanation from previous statements that he does not know groundfighting when in fact he has studied Judo.

Cheers

Do you know I never knew he was Chinese not Japanese (sarcasm), funny that isn't it. Really you don't have to be so sharp with your answer you know.
I wasn't asking what you thought about MMA at all, you said you thought that as Chan came from a different culture, one where hitting people when they are down isn't considered honourable so I asked how both on ground hitting each other might be considered. A simple question as you have set yourself up as an 'expert' on how Chinese culture and martial arts is concerned. What you think of MMA doesn't come into it.

Latest Discussions