(ITF - Sparring) How do I win against a south-paw lump.

Sub

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

Needing advice- I lost to a guy 25-30KGs heavier than me, 1-0 in 3 x 90 second rounds over the weekend. Result wasn't popular, even my opponent was surprised - it was a bitter pill to swallow, but hey I'm a sportsman and was cool about it, one day things will go my way.

But my question is this, how do I beat a heavier southpaw? Basically he just stood with a strong guard slowly rotating while I threw everything I could think of at him. On the video playback my wife recorded, we counted 35ish kicks I threw and about a dozen punches over the whole match. He threw about 5 punches, 1 scoring to my head.

I took a warning for alledgedly a turning kick to his back, but was actually attempting an ax kick to come down his front. It was so frustrating, I even switched stance to match but my weaker side turning kicks were stopped easily. I felt during and after that my best option was any kind of arcing kicks (small side step right arcing inward) as they seemed to penetrate his guard best, and tbh I felt one scored, but obviously didn't get the credit.

Anyway as stated he was a big guy, so was hard to budge even thought about a flurry to get him to step out but just wouldn't move and it would leave me exposed. So back to the question, there's every chance I'm going to meet this guy in competition again and don't want a repeat. Ego aside, I know I'm better so want to give the judges no doubt. How to handle?

/Sub

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, id have to see it to offer more than general advice.

But generally, do not use too many Instep Kicks. He will be able to block them like nobodies business, then move in on You.
Try to either
A: Wait for Him to do a Kick, then when He retracts His leg, just as he goes to set it down, CHARGE.
B: Dodge to the side and in slightly then Counter.
And remember: Flurries should be saved for when theyre NOT going to let him catch them on His Forearms and blunderbuss you.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sparring a southpaw or any time when you and your opponent are positioned in "Open Stance" (opposite foot back - example his left foot back and your right foot back) basic boxing, kickboxing poitioning theory applies. You need to have your lead foot slightly to the outside / his rearside - of his lead foot (Your large toe of the lead foot lined up even with or past the small toe of his lead foot.

This forces him to turn more than 180 degrees for rear side techniques and you turn less than that. It also makes the angle for their lead side more difficult. Perhaps hard to picture without a partner / opponent, but get a helper and see how it works.

Other basic sparring concepts apply. You can use a rear foot instep kick but don't initiate with that technique because you can see it coming from a long way away.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you've got video, that would help.

I'm on the WTF side of the house, but something that has worked for me with bigger guys who want to fight defensively:
use motion and checks to bait him to attack, then make him miss and counter to the open target. If he won't take the bait and lets you in range, then I get him predicting and fool him. For instance, if I can throw a few fast kicks and get him moving to block that, I can probably score with axe or front leg hook.

Good luck.
Carl

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I ask why you are fighting someone that much heavier than you? Don't they have weight classes in the comps you do?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
StudentCarl has the best idea. You need to check motion to force him to counter or flinch. Then you simply counter his movement. Or like he said, if he does not bite on the checks (faints) then you can simply hit him with something non predicted.

Speed should beat the heavier guy every time. I am assuming that this is not continueous and also light contact. If not they you should not be matched with someone that much heavier than you. If what I state is true then you have the advantage being lighter with speed. Left footed or right footed should not matter.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
ITF sparring is continuous. The level of contact varies with the competiton.
Then the same still applies. The only thing that I don't understand is why you would match different weights like this. The lighter person should have the advantage, however the heavier person can catch and K.O. (hurt) the lighter person if he can catch him right. Either way not good to mix the weights so drastic.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
The lighter person should have the advantage, however the heavier person can catch and K.O. (hurt) the lighter person if he can catch him right.

ITF competition is supposed to be semi-contact/light-contact. However, from what I've heard, it can reach full contact in the dan ranks.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
ITF competition is supposed to be semi-contact/light-contact. However, from what I've heard, it can reach full contact in the dan ranks.
Not just the Dans - Ive seen lower belts go at it. As long as youre not hitting 'through' Your Opponent, the Judges are in a bit of a grey zone.

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not just the Dans - Ive seen lower belts go at it. As long as youre not hitting 'through' Your Opponent, the Judges are in a bit of a grey zone.

As it should be, in my opinion. I don't think that full contact should be forced, but it's hard to make a case for tippy tap fighting. At the very least, in my opinion, only solid strikes should earn points.

Also, I feel that the competitors should have some leeway in choosing their own contact level, as it were. If both guys are willing to go full blast, then let it be.

OP
S

Sub

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice. He wasn't biting on the feints, just being really stubborn with his guard.

There's a 2nd kup in my dojang who's a leftie, so will tap him up for some partner practice.

Regarding the weight queries, we were both in the hyperweight division (flattering I know). I'm at 83kgs, and this guy was I reckon an easy 100kgs.

Also (not in this case) some of the smaller comps the weight divisions are relaxed which makes for some interesting scraps.

There's an argument for me to cut the 2-3kg to drop to the heavyweight (lol) division to avoid this guy. But losing in this manner to this guy has lit a fire in my belly, and feel I have something to prove to myself more than anything.

/Sub

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice. He wasn't biting on the feints, just being really stubborn with his guard.

There's a 2nd kup in my dojang who's a leftie, so will tap him up for some partner practice.

Regarding the weight queries, we were both in the hyperweight division (flattering I know). I'm at 83kgs, and this guy was I reckon an easy 100kgs.

Also (not in this case) some of the smaller comps the weight divisions are relaxed which makes for some interesting scraps.

There's an argument for me to cut the 2-3kg to drop to the heavyweight (lol) division to avoid this guy. But losing in this manner to this guy has lit a fire in my belly, and feel I have something to prove to myself more than anything.

/Sub
Oh, in that case, just set him up for a crazy jumping reverse turning kick, as I believe the ITF called it when I was with them. Should work a charm if you can get it off at the right distance.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im no sparring expert, far from it actually, but heres my 2 cents. I am tall and skinny/lean and I used to struggle against bigger guys. Actually at my blue bellt grading I got paired up to spar a guy who was over 100kg (I am 83 kgs) and he just walked at me throwing sloppy , slow kicks but just kept rolling forward and I had no defence but to go backwards. If I threw a kick he would just block it without missing a beat and just kept rolling forward. I still have nightmares about it :). Anyway, Ive found 2 things that have worked for me to rectify the problem. Firstly I throw double kicks (with the same leg) where the first kick is just a feint to get him to throw his arms at it to block, then the second kick swings in straight away (same leg without landing on the floor) and usually lands. I usually throw a front kick with my back leg and just as its about to get near my opponent I swing it round into roundhouse kick which usually sails over their arms which have dropped lower for the front kick. Also works well witha side kick as the final kick. The second thing Ive done is to stop going straight forward or straight back, I constantly step to the side and spar more circular so they cant just use their extra body weight to drive me back. Its always difficult though when you are at a large weight disadvantage but I always like to think speed can overcome size.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im no sparring expert, far from it actually, but heres my 2 cents. I am tall and skinny/lean and I used to struggle against bigger guys. Actually at my blue bellt grading I got paired up to spar a guy who was over 100kg (I am 83 kgs) and he just walked at me throwing sloppy , slow kicks but just kept rolling forward and I had no defence but to go backwards. If I threw a kick he would just block it without missing a beat and just kept rolling forward. I still have nightmares about it :). Anyway, Ive found 2 things that have worked for me to rectify the problem. Firstly I throw double kicks (with the same leg) where the first kick is just a feint to get him to throw his arms at it to block, then the second kick swings in straight away (same leg without landing on the floor) and usually lands. I usually throw a front kick with my back leg and just as its about to get near my opponent I swing it round into roundhouse kick which usually sails over their arms which have dropped lower for the front kick. Also works well witha side kick as the final kick. The second thing Ive done is to stop going straight forward or straight back, I constantly step to the side and spar more circular so they cant just use their extra body weight to drive me back. Its always difficult though when you are at a large weight disadvantage but I always like to think speed can overcome size.
Which is why heavyweights to can move fast as hell are a touch alarming ;)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

/Sub

An extension of what Ralph wrote above, my experience is that combinations are the solution to a 'stubborn guard'. The second kick with the same leg, changing levels, is very good. Examples are front-leg round kick to body followed by axe kick to head and rear-leg roundhouse to body followed by (same leg) front leg round kick to head. When done with speed, opponents seeing a second kick with the same leg tend to think you are kicking to the same target and block there. You probably know that, as a rule, first techniques seldom score.

Carl

Latest Discussions