Is WTF ANY good for self defence

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
WTF is linked to the Olympic style sparring. Olympic style sparring allows kicks above the belt (not to the spine) and to the head. Punches to the body are allowed, but not used that much because it is hard to score points with them. Knees, elbows and takedowns are not allowed.

Some WTF Dojangs only teach the techniques that are allowed in Olympic style sparring. Most people consider this to be a very limited version of TKD and not very effective in Self-defense.

For Self-defense, my master also teaches one-steps and grabbing techniques. The current set of three one-steps that I'm working on include an upper cut to the head, elbow to the head, knee strike and leg sweep takedowns.

the grabbing techniques are escapes from someone grabbing you. Most of these techniques involve joint locks of some type. My master does not teach these to the little kids, because their joints are still forming and can cause damage.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
UMMMmmm, is WTF any use in self defense? Yes it is, that is what our club's emphasis is on, and has been for over 30 years. A tool relies on the one employing it, period. Do not ever be afraid to ask questions MissT. Be afraid if you stop asking.

albegood

White Belt
Reaction score
You know I have spent many years studying many martial arts forms, and I have to say even the belt factory WTF style TKD can teach you many valuable things. In my view the shortcoming of this style TKD is that its predictable, and taught as a sport. But make no mistake, if you are really good at Taekwondo you can defend yourself against most people. Where it becomes more difficult is when you go against a skilled opponent, that's when the art breaks down, actually it doesn't if the practitioner remembers one thing, its no longer a TKD contest, and the rules have changed, and therefor the application of the skill should also change to meet the situation, knees, throat, groin, neck, and high percentage kicks, (as opposed to the acrobatic kicks that will likely get you in trouble), you just have to reapply the skill to meet the situation. Also it doesn't hurt to get acquainted with Jujitsu and real ground work, hapkido, and more hand work. But TKD is a great place to start your martial arts journey, but it's not the end all on that road. There is so much more out there that has great value too.

RobBnTX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Paul_D exactly right, this thread went back 12 years! Shouldn't there be a shelf life on these threads?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT Albegood. I note you've been... ahh ... greeted.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know I have spent many years studying many martial arts forms, and I have to say even the belt factory WTF style TKD can teach you many valuable things. In my view the shortcoming of this style TKD is that its predictable, and taught as a sport. But make no mistake, if you are really good at Taekwondo you can defend yourself against most people. Where it becomes more difficult is when you go against a skilled opponent, that's when the art breaks down, actually it doesn't if the practitioner remembers one thing, its no longer a TKD contest, and the rules have changed, and therefor the application of the skill should also change to meet the situation, knees, throat, groin, neck, and high percentage kicks, (as opposed to the acrobatic kicks that will likely get you in trouble), you just have to reapply the skill to meet the situation. Also it doesn't hurt to get acquainted with Jujitsu and real ground work, hapkido, and more hand work. But TKD is a great place to start your martial arts journey, but it's not the end all on that road. There is so much more out there that has great value too.

Since there is no such thing as WTF style TKD, this entire thread is silly.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since there is no such thing as WTF style TKD, this entire thread is silly.
I think you will agree that the following is a fair question: "Are WTF tournament techniques ANY good for self defence?"

I would say the rear leg roundhouse is a bread and butter kick in most striking martial arts, and is very good for self-defence. Of course the situation may call for a low roundhouse kick, which is not used in tournaments.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think you will agree that the following is a fair question: "Are WTF tournament techniques ANY good for self defence?"

Why would anybody even consider tournament techniques or rules in a self-defense situation? I see this type of thinking a lot when people try to argue that "Taekwondo sucks."
Some people mistakenly believe that all we train in is tournament sparring. Nothing is further from the truth. We train in sweeps, eye-gouges (simulated, of course), punches and other hand-strikes to all parts of the body, various kicks to all parts of the body, and much more. We also talk a lot about diffusing a situation before it turns violent.
But sure, we'll just go with "TKD sucks because you can't punch the face, etc."

StevenNotSeagal

White Belt
Reaction score
The sport side of TKD is obviously what is the biggest advert and perception of the art from outside, I am still very new and I have yet (and might never) competed but if you actually just look at the sport one thing that is certain. To compete you need to be fit and fast (or go home early)

In a world with an obesity epidemic being fit and fast cancels out many a potential opponent on their own, that said, like I say, I am new and only really have my local WTF class to draw on but the OP's description does not reflect what I am seeing in class.

Blocking, punching, joint locks, take downs and throws are all being taught as well as kicks. I am only on the basic end of the training but I have eyes and eyes tend to seek out points of interest and when we all fall off after warm to focus on things relevant to the belt we are each shooting for or doing step sparring with the things we have learnt up to that point I am seeing all sorts of things going on around me.

Short answer, and I am not long enough into it to be a blind fanatic is that YES, I believe it is very good for defence.

However I would say this, there will be schools vs schools differences depending upon quality. I see a lot of style vs style chats going on, on this site and others but lets say for argument a style X is indeed on the whole better than style Y, a local style Y school with a better teacher than the local style X school might still produce better able to defend selfs students.
And for any with a local TKD school where the teacher might leave a lot to be desired and a (insert any style here) class with a great teacher then I would say that then locally TKD is not a good option!

I think "what is the best style" comes down to just that, finding the best school, with the best teacher, within the area you can realistically travel and who has classes that fit in with your life, and equally what you enjoy and are willing to apply yourself too.

ie a lot of folk tout BJJ but if you would resent having another mans junk next to your face every week then I doubt its for you (or me, great local bjj school but just not what I want to doing in my free time!)
That said, when looking around to start something, Shotokan appealed but all the local schools were pretty much pants.