Is Wing Chun being used the wrong way in fighting?

Jens

Green Belt
Reaction score
@ hunschuld
Can you elaborate on what you mean by “keep changing distance until you are comfortable,receive what comes”?
Do you mean constantly opening and closing distance by stepping away and towards the opponent until the opponent over extends or over commits by stepping into your range?

Jens

Green Belt
Reaction score
@ hunschuld
What is “the delivery system” of wing chun?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not really sure what you mean by delivery system. My assumption is how is power produced and delivered.

Oh. That makes sense, I guess.

....I was thinking the US Postal Service, UPS or Fed Ex like when ordering from "Everything Wing Chun".

Jens

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am not really sure what you mean by delivery system. My assumption is how is power produced and delivered.

yes! But more specifically regarding how power is delivered successfully to the target?

The “delivery system” of any martial art is the method used to ensure your strikes will land on its intended target. For example “the delivery system” in western boxing is the ability to “set traps” to bait and set up your opponent to ensure your strike will land successfully with precision timing.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yes! But more specifically regarding how power is delivered successfully to the target?

The “delivery system” of any martial art is the method used to ensure your strikes will land on its intended target. For example “the delivery system” in western boxing is the ability to “set traps” to bait and set up your opponent to ensure your strike will land successfully with precision timing.

That's pretty broad... if "delivery system" includes footwork, angling, distance/position and timing ....and power generation and transmission.... Well it's a lot to talk about, that's for sure. Hunter might be able to boil that down to a single post. I sure couldn't.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are trained in WC...what is your opinion on that?
This is the main strategy/tactic of the striking art. It's pretty much "common sense" and used in all MA systems.

Since some people said in this thread that WC doesn't use any strategy/tactic, that's why I ask.

IMO, strategy/tactic such as this is very important.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is the main strategy/tactic of the striking art. It's pretty much "common sense" and used in all MA systems.

Since some people said in this thread that WC doesn't use any strategy/tactic, that's why I ask.

IMO, strategy/tactic such as this is very important.

I see.
Well, I would say that it is not the main strategy/tactic. I would say the main strategy/tactic is to punch/strike...THEN...if the punch/strike doesn't land on the intended target, or is otherwise interrupted along its way to the target, then the hands flow and cycle per the methods contained in the WC training to deal with the obstruction.
Using your logic from above...you'd be intentionally punching an obstructed path that now forces you to "create an opening to punch through". Doesn't make sense if you ask me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Using your logic from above...you'd be intentionally punching an obstructed path that now forces you to "create an opening to punch through". Doesn't make sense if you ask me.
That's how the TCMA punch combo "black tiger eat the heart" is used. You punch your opponent's head, your opponent raises arm to block it, you then punch to his chest.

In the following clip, his both punches are on the same level. IMO, it doesn't make sense.

black-tiger-eat-heart-1.gif

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's how the TCMA punch combo "black tiger eat the heart" is used. You punch your opponent's head, your opponent raises arm to block it, you then punch to his chest.

In the following clip, his both punches are on the same level. IMO, it doesn't make sense.

black-tiger-eat-heart-1.gif

Ok, now you've lost me. You just changed what you said!
Anyway, as for the drill you are referencing...here is a hint you should know already: it's just a drill. It is not a literal expression of fighting.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What change did I make?

1. Use your punch to create an opening, you then punch through that opening.

2. You punch your opponent's head, your opponent raises arm to block it, you then punch to his chest.

Exactly. Your 2 contradicts your 1.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Exactly. Your 2 contradicts your 1.

2. You punch your opponent's head, your opponent raises arm to block it (Use your punch to create an opening), you then punch to his chest (you then punch through that opening).

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score

2. You punch your opponent's head, your opponent raises arm to block it (Use your punch to create an opening), you then punch to his chest (you then punch through that opening).

I think its just the way you type dude...it is confusing to comprehend some times.

You stated: "Use your punch to create an opening,", so:
If you just punched your opponent in the head, you are not using your punch to create an opening...you are exploiting an opening.
If you just punched your opponent in the head, his block is too late.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its just the way you type dude...it is confusing to comprehend some times.

You stated: "Use your punch to create an opening,", so:
If you just punched your opponent in the head, you are not using your punch to create an opening...you are exploiting an opening.
If you just punched your opponent in the head, his block is too late.
I actually think John’s post (especially with the clarification) makes sense. I misread the first version, but his example cleared up the meaning for me.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I actually think John’s post (especially with the clarification) makes sense. I misread the first version, but his example cleared up the meaning for me.

Cool.
Yeah maybe my Vulcan logic filter needs adjusting haha. :vulcan:

Latest Discussions