Is Volleyball the best non-fighting method of learning effective open-hand strike techniques esp slaps and other non-punching based arm strikes?

EvaWolves

White Belt
Reaction score
Since a few people have mentioned learning how to kick from soccer and tackle from football, even use a sword from Tennis and how to fight with a stick from baseball, I been wondering on this.

Would Volleyball be the one regular sports that is the best non-martial arts way of learning how to hit effectively using non-punching arm striking like slaps and hammerfist?

I mean plenty of a variety of methods are used in hitting the volleyball like something resembling a double handed axe and backslaps. So I assumed Volleyball is the best non-fighting related method for learning how to strike with your arms thats not punching?

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
TBH I doubt that any of these (football, tennis, volleyball, etc.) would give you any advantage at all compared to other non-fighting sports. The movements simply don't translate well.

If one absolutely wants to do a non-martial sport but have self-defence benefits, I'd say choose one where you deal with aggression (e.g. ice hockey) and that develops fullbody strength and cardio.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Handball?
TBH I doubt that any of these (football, tennis, volleyball, etc.) would give you any advantage at all compared to other non-fighting sports. The movements simply don't translate well.

If one absolutely wants to do a non-martial sport but have self-defence benefits, I'd say choose one where you deal with aggression (e.g. ice hockey) and that develops fullbody strength and cardio.
Wait... hockey is a non-martial sport? Since when?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Since a few people have mentioned learning how to kick from soccer and tackle from football, even use a sword from Tennis and how to fight with a stick from baseball, I been wondering on this.

Would Volleyball be the one regular sports that is the best non-martial arts way of learning how to hit effectively using non-punching arm striking like slaps and hammerfist?

I mean plenty of a variety of methods are used in hitting the volleyball like something resembling a double handed axe and backslaps. So I assumed Volleyball is the best non-fighting related method for learning how to strike with your arms thats not punching?
My vote is Jai Alai.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My son and I use a basketball to train close range palm strikes. We use one hand to hold the ball and the other hand to strike it. We hit the ball back and forth. The applications for this would be done during grappling as hands are moving to seek control. If my hand passes your face, I might as well deliver a quick and unexpected to your face, or if I need to quickly move your arm or body in a specific direction. The purpose of the basketball is to provide real time feedback on the power of the strike.

angelariz

Green Belt
Reaction score

New York style Handball is way better.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
A volleyball weighs about as much as a tall lager and is filled with air. So I don't think any of the ball arts really compare. You're "hitting" almost nothing.

The exception being American football. That is a brutal sport where people learn to actually run after, intercept, take down, evade take down, and even scramble and fight on the ground for the actual ball. Sorry Rugby...

Hockey fights are the last place to look for good technique. Those aren't trained martial artists, they're usually punks with anger issues.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The exception being American football. That is a brutal sport where people learn to actually run after, intercept, take down, evade take down, and even scramble and fight on the ground for the actual ball. Sorry Rugby...
Nah... America football isn't brutal. Hurling is a brutal sport.
Think Lacross, played with a baseball and hokey sticks that have been straightened out. Advance down the field with the ball bouncing on your club. Pass it by flipping it up in the air and bashing it with your stick. Stop the runner or block the pass by interposing your body and being hit by the ball. Or the club. Or the person. Or some combination of those.
Did I mention that there's no protective gear? I mean, I have seen a few people play in with what looks like a bicycle helmet, but they are (or were, I don't follow the "sport") in the minority.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A volleyball weighs about as much as a tall lager and is filled with air. So I don't think any of the ball arts really compare. You're "hitting" almost nothing.

Hockey fights are the last place to look for good technique. Those aren't trained martial artists, they're usually punks with anger issues.
I can’t speak to the NHL, but a neighbor used to host kids playing for the Seattle Thunderbirds in the NHL feeder leagues (like minor league hockey).

fights were actually a part of the game. I mean, sometimes they were fueled by anger, but generally they were tactical to try and get a player out on a penalty or, if of the game was super boring (like if they were losing badly) just to give the fans something to cheer about. Not generally about anger.

at least, that’s how it was for this team.