Is this legal in Bayarea California to carry out?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here are the aforementioned pics.

Attachments

• 2BCA153D-1DD1-4B54-B31F-69E27FFBCCD1.jpeg
    2BCA153D-1DD1-4B54-B31F-69E27FFBCCD1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
  • D0C31094-6E46-462E-96FB-AD3B9629E6EE.jpeg
    D0C31094-6E46-462E-96FB-AD3B9629E6EE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 105

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's what my understanding also, just a discussion with my friend and he think the expandable baton is legal as long as there's no lead in it. I told him no already, but I just want to run it by here.

Actually one doesn't get into as much trouble with a conceal gun than all these. It's crazy. But for me, gun is too deadly, once you use it, there's no turning back. So unless I know I am heading into a dangerous area, I won't even think about carrying a gun. My good old walking cane will out do pocket knives, short baton(expandable or not) and all that. It is 20oz, 29" long fiber reinforced nylon, people don't want to be hit by my cane. I have been practice cane fight for the last 8 months, not just carrying a cane. I even lost 10lbs after adding the cane exercise without even cutting down on food intake.

Funny, seems like a lot of people feel insulted to the idea of carrying a cane even when they are close to 60!!! To me, they are OLD, a cane doesn't make them look any older!!! I can saw my stepson ( 57) got a little offended when I suggested him to carry a cane as he has to take a bus to go to work in San Francisco everyday. There are a lot of crazy people, thugs on the bus. He refused, so that's it!!! My friend I had the discussion is kind of like this. Now he is talking about the expandable baton. I told him don't. I carry my cane everywhere.
well a cane is perfectly fine for any age... I know an ex Sgt Maj who still walks around here with his pace stick. A pace stick is used to measure drill paces & has a history in the British Army. Definitely a great weapon. As far as i know no German cop has bothered him.
original (1).jpg
original (1).jpg

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok that's another situation, clear assaults. They way you came over it's a flexible rule which can be bent depending on the officers discretion.

A matter of opinion. I saw a video where a cop was strangling an ambulance driver because of some traffic violation..LOL meanwhile old guy Was in the back with a heart attack dying.
So no not all are intelligent.
That's why I would build a good relationship with the police. It's easier to treat someone you dont know like that then to treat someone you do know. As far as human intelligence, some of us are just stupid.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's why I would build a good relationship with the police. It's easier to treat someone you dont know like that then to treat someone you do know. As far as human intelligence, some of us are just stupid.
as i wrote before i am not a police hater. If they are polite you co operate.
I remember i was fighting with another soldier outside a bar in canada, before i knew it i was over a car bonnet with a stick at my throat. The cop was OK i just did some fast talking saying we will go in different directions no more trouble. Guy let us go. Was 4 cops there but the cop i spoke to was a decent guy and saw i meant it.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
well a cane is perfectly fine for any age... I know an ex Sgt Maj who still walks around here with his pace stick. A pace stick is used to measure drill paces & has a history in the British Army. Definitely a great weapon. As far as i know no German cop has bothered him.
View attachment 27523View attachment 27523
Funny why walk around with a pace stick? Because of the sharper metal tips?

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Funny why walk around with a pace stick? Because of the sharper metal tips?
In the Regiment, warrant officers were mostly in barrack dress and carried a pace stick. Even in working dress in some cases. I suppose he just got used to carrying one. If it was intended as a self defense Tool I can't say. I remember talking to him and he had the Stick years later as a civilian. I suppose it's a bit weird but I sort of understand him. Maybe he could if he got into trouble say it was a walking stick..😁
As far as the end of the stick goes it could be very nasty if thrust.

Last edited:

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a couple of things you could get training in for various situations. What makes training in these weapons so significant is not that you would carry the weapon with you, but that many everyday objects can be used for many of the techniques.

Hanbo - This is a 36 inch stick. It is used not only for hitting but for grapples, entanglements and chokes. Many of the moves here, could be done with wrench, ruler, rolled up magazine, umbrella, walking stick... anything really in the 18-40 inch range. Heck, some of the chokes could be done with a towel.

Yawara Stick or Kuboton - These are very short sticks, 4 to 8 inches in length. While you wouldn't carry these weapons, you could use many of the same techniques with a pen, marker or any very short stick. Again, the techniques for these involve strikes, grapples, chokes and pressure points.

Studying these two weapons will give you a pretty good grasp on how to use everyday objects. This way, you might be able to utilize something that you normally would have or could grab.

I would stay away from carrying the "tactical pens" made out of aircraft grade aluminum. This could easily be viewed as a weapon, especially when it says "tactical pen" and they look up the pen on the internet and find that it is made to be used as a weapon... may put it into the concealed weapon category (depending upon the lawyers and such). Besides, these are expensive... and you don't really need aircraft grade aluminum. For $3 you can buy a pack of Zebra ball point pens... with aluminum barrels. They work every bit as well, are super cheap and don't advertise "I am really a weapon."

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about these kind of rings with spikes?
Spike ring1.jpg
Spike ring2.jpg

I was suggested these rings are grappler's nightmare!!! I ordered a few already, it's cheap.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey, It's bad if I get into fight with a grappler already, at least if I use the ring to punch on his head, ribs and other part to make him let go, at least I can use strike to defend myself.

At least in striking, I have a chance, you mean I should let him break my arms or legs and hope for mercy? At least I know I can punch hard, with the ring, I should be able to hurt him.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, It's bad if I get into fight with a grappler already, at least if I use the ring to punch on his head, ribs and other part to make him let go, at least I can use strike to defend myself.

At least in striking, I have a chance, you mean I should let him break my arms or legs and hope for mercy? At least I know I can punch hard, with the ring, I should be able to hurt him.
My right ring finger was broken by a ring the got hung on a wire fence.
I only wear my wedding band now.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My left ring finger was broken by a ring the got hung on a wire fence.
I only wear a my wedding band now.
Now, that makes sense. I do question if I start punching with the ring, what does that do to my finger.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now, that makes sense. I do question if I start punching with the ring, what does that do to my finger.
I got my ring finger stuck in a guys shirt pocket during a throw in a parking lot fight, it spiral fractured my fourth carpal bone in my left hand. He went down but i had to reduce that fracture myself right then because I was far from any hospital. My ring finger looks to be 1/2 inch shorter than the other and it hurts often enough even after 18 years. That ring you want is begging to get stuck in clothing. Consider what happens then…

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think the ring gives you a great deal more to work with, except to create blood. In a significant fight, I don't know that it'll create enough pain to change things.

Latest Discussions