Is this legal in Bayarea California to carry out?

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'd honestly rather be dead than serve life. Especially in Cali. That doesn't mean I won't defend myself. That just means I'll have to "offend myself" before I get hauled off to San Quentin.
I liked that song from Johnny Cash.. a great singer

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Designed Batons of all types are illegal in the Peoples Republic called the State of Kalifornia under section 12020 of the Penal Code. it includes all manner of martial arts weapons as well. Most of them are considered "wobblers" for the purpose of prosecution. That is you will be booked under a felony, but may be tried or plead to a misdemeanor unless you have a hard-*** ADA. Canes are legal to carry or everyone's grandparents would be locked up. The secret, other than items designed as batons or clubs, is how you use them. If an item is an actual baton or club, it is illegal. However, if you had a baseball bat in your car, it would be legal until such time you attacked someone with it, in which case it would be considered an assault with a deadly weapon. (245 P.C.). if you are attacked by several people, and you just happen to have a baseball bat in your car because you play softball sometimes, then you are defending yourself with what is available. I had a guy who defended himself against a couple of thugs with an old-style heavy glass Coke Bottle. No problem, however, if he attacked someone with that same Coke Bottle, it would be ADW, assault with a deadly weapon. (The bottle never broke by the way and he jacked the guys up pretty good with it). So, unless you have a "guard card" and a "baton endorsement" for carrying a baton, you are illegal.
Also, those thugs are usually young and have record, they have nothing to lose. They likely have record, one more trip to the police is nothing. They mostly have no assets, they are judgement proofed. How about older and more established people like us that never been in the police station? Even if you clear yourself, it's a lot of trouble and money for lawyer. Then if you have assets(house and others), you might be cleaned by civil suits.

This is not like a macho thing like " blow that guy away", " whoop their a$$". It's easy to talk, but if you have to live it, it's a different story. Like when I was young, I lived in an apartment, I carried gun all the time. Then one day, I said, wait, I got a lot to lose. Also, am I going to sleep well if I kill someone. Reality kicked in, I stopped carrying gun unless I know there is trouble.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd honestly rather be dead than serve life. Especially in Cali. That doesn't mean I won't defend myself. That just means I'll have to "offend myself" before I get hauled off to San Quentin.
If it is life or death, you have no choice, even though I practice stick fight with a cane, I concentrate a lot of hitting the knee and lower part of the body. I at least try to avoid making the first hit on the head. I want to defend myself, but I don't want to kill the person if I can help it. I carry a 20oz cane, I swing with 2 hands, I can easily kill someone if I catch the guy good on the head. Also, I have my wife turn on the phone whenever we go out, make sure she know how to record video. If anything happens, she can record the whole things as evidence.

I got more to lose than the thug, and I am not sure how I live with it if I kill someone in a macho haste.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Georgia the it's not so much that a weapon is illegal, but when it's illegal. Things pretty much break down into 2 categories. Weapons that don't need a license and weapons that do need a license. I'm not a lawyer but it seems that I can use my sword in Kung Fu but if I plan to use it as a weapon then I need to have a license. Which creates a grey area of "He says,I say" . If I go to the park and someone says I used my sword as a weapon then I can get in legal trouble based on what someone else says. Even if I claim that I don't use it as a weapon. To protect myself, it would be wise for me to just register the sword as a weapon and then don't use it as one. If someone claims that I used it as one, then I will have the license for it.

The park scenario is tricky because City Parks, County Parks, and Federal Parks have their own rules and laws. As for my swords legally I'm safer to have a license for them than not to have one. Either that or have a legal document from the courts stating my swords don't have to be registered after I submitted the paperwork to register them. Not sure how it is in other places, but if the difference is basically License vs No License then make sure you have that in order.

The license pretty much "green lights" what one is allowed to use as a weapon within the definitions of the law. If I have to hit someone with my sword then I better have my legal docs for it up-to-date.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If it is life or death, you have no choice, even though I practice stick fight with a cane, I concentrate a lot of hitting the knee and lower part of the body. I at least try to avoid making the first hit on the head. I want to defend myself, but I don't want to kill the person if I can help it. I carry a 20oz cane, I swing with 2 hands, I can easily kill someone if I catch the guy good on the head. Also, I have my wife turn on the phone whenever we go out, make sure she know how to record video. If anything happens, she can record the whole things as evidence.

I got more to lose than the thug, and I am not sure how I live with it if I kill someone in a macho haste.
Between me dying from someone's attack and me doing something that causes them to die. I want to live. I'll work out those other issues after the fact. Not much to work out if you are laying dead in the street because you "didn't want to hurt someone too badly"

This is why emotions are bad to have. If you are fighting for your life, then you don't need to second guess it.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Between me dying from someone's attack and me doing something that causes them to die. I want to live. I'll work out those other issues after the fact. Not much to work out if you are laying dead in the street because you "didn't want to hurt someone too badly"

This is why emotions are bad to have. If you are fighting for your life, then you don't need to second guess it.
Just want to counter some of those that talk macho, " blow them away" type. There should be consideration before the situation. Like I said, I decided to use a 20oz cane so I hope I don't get into the situation I wack the guy and he just look at me. But with the heavy cane, I practice the first strike to the knee, the second strike is then to the neck. I think hitting the knee with a 20oz cane swung by both hand is not exactly child's play. Not to mention it's harder for the thug to grab the cane when I hit low.

I sure don't want to just carry a gun and blow people away.

BTW, you talked about license for sword to bring to the park, how about buying a blunt sword( not sharp)? Do you still need to consider it's a weapon? If not, use them in the park.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
BTW, you talked about license for sword to bring to the park, how about buying a blunt sword( not sharp)? Do you still need to consider it's a weapon? If not, use them in the park.
It doesn't matter if the sword is blunt or not. The law doesn't define or take into consideration if the knife is short. It only cares about the length of the blade. It could be a flimsy weapon and it won't matter because the length of the blade is what they are looking at.

In addition, I would have to practice it in a safe manner like far away from people who may stray into the path of my practice. Some parks have rules against weapons in the park. I would then follow up with both the city and county police department. I would want them to know when I'm in the park and for how long. In addition I would want to get written permission or a permit showing that I'm allowed to train with that one weapon in the park. But even before then I will still want to build up a relationship with the police and the city. Maybe let them know that I will be practicing Martial Arts in the park, so don't freak out. If someone calls and says that there's some crazy black guy that looks dangerous. I would want the police and city to be familiar with me and my behavior. I would want to get rid of as many unknowns that they have for me.

I'm not too concern about non weapon training in the park. This is just what I would do if I were to train with weapons in the park. I would also need a good answer to "why don't you train at home?"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is how my county parks define weapons:
Weapon means firearm, rifle, pistol, revolver, paintball gun, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a shot, bullet, or other missile of any kind, or any device capable of discharging a projectile by air, spirit, gas or explosive, or any explosive substance or harmful solid, liquid and gaseous substance, or any spear, arrow, bow and arrow, slingshot, crossbow, spear or spear gun, or any knife, as defined by state law, dirk, Bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or any other knife, straight-edged razor, spring stick, metal knuckles, blackjack, any bat, club or other bludgeon-type weapon, or any flailing instrument or any disk which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, or any weapon of like kind, and any stun gun, taser or similar device.

Based on this I definitely won't be able to train on county parks property. Not even with my staff. I don't think saying "Look at Kung Fu vs MMA" Kung Fu is fake is going to save me legally lol.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if the sword is blunt or not. The law doesn't define or take into consideration if the knife is short. It only cares about the length of the blade. It could be a flimsy weapon and it won't matter because the length of the blade is what they are looking at.

In addition, I would have to practice it in a safe manner like far away from people who may stray into the path of my practice. Some parks have rules against weapons in the park. I would then follow up with both the city and county police department. I would want them to know when I'm in the park and for how long. In addition I would want to get written permission or a permit showing that I'm allowed to train with that one weapon in the park. But even before then I will still want to build up a relationship with the police and the city. Maybe let them know that I will be practicing Martial Arts in the park, so don't freak out. If someone calls and says that there's some crazy black guy that looks dangerous. I would want the police and city to be familiar with me and my behavior. I would want to get rid of as many unknowns that they have for me.

I'm not too concern about non weapon training in the park. This is just what I would do if I were to train with weapons in the park. I would also need a good answer to "why don't you train at home?"
That's exactly what I want to ask you before reading the last sentence. :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Because I don't want to."
This is how my county parks define weapons:
Weapon means firearm, rifle, pistol, revolver, paintball gun, or any weapon designed or intended to propel a shot, bullet, or other missile of any kind, or any device capable of discharging a projectile by air, spirit, gas or explosive, or any explosive substance or harmful solid, liquid and gaseous substance, or any spear, arrow, bow and arrow, slingshot, crossbow, spear or spear gun, or any knife, as defined by state law, dirk, Bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or any other knife, straight-edged razor, spring stick, metal knuckles, blackjack, any bat, club or other bludgeon-type weapon, or any flailing instrument or any disk which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, or any weapon of like kind, and any stun gun, taser or similar device.

Based on this I definitely won't be able to train on county parks property. Not even with my staff. I don't think saying "Look at Kung Fu vs MMA" Kung Fu is fake is going to save me legally lol.
Laws like this are often what I call "convenience" laws. If you're being a douche canoe, the police have a convenient reason to bust you. HEMA groups like the SCA and such have been fighting in parks all over the world for decades without any problem.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Laws like this are often what I call "convenience" laws. If you're being a douche canoe, the police have a convenient reason to bust you.

Not a police hater but it Sounds a bit corrupt to me. Any time I speak to the police I'm polite and Co operative but you do get douche bag cops too.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laws like this are often what I call "convenience" laws. If you're being a douche canoe, the police have a convenient reason to bust you.

Not a police hater but it Sounds a bit corrupt to me. Any time I speak to the police I'm polite and Co operative but you do get douche bag cops too.
I think most people would say it sounds like the Police are intelligent humans and can apply reason.
If a group of people want to go to the park, armor up, and smack each other with rattan sticks, why should it be a problem? If one (or more) go to the park and are assaulting or threatening others, the why shouldn't it be a problem?

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
one (or more) go to the park and are assaulting or threatening others, the why shouldn't it be a problem?
Ok that's another situation, clear assaults. They way you came over it's a flexible rule which can be bent depending on the officers discretion.

I think most people would say it sounds like the Police are intelligent humans and can apply reason
A matter of opinion. I saw a video where a cop was strangling an ambulance driver because of some traffic violation..LOL meanwhile old guy Was in the back with a heart attack dying.
So no not all are intelligent.

pwtlake

White Belt
Reaction score
Expanding batons are not legal in California. This state has very restrictive laws, especially around weapons. Many if not most guns, all switchblade knives, nunchakus, sword canes, sap gloves, are illegal. Plastic knuckled motorcycle gloves are kind of legal, as long as they're not too weighted (if too heavy, they become "sap" gloves). "Bayarea" California is not a place name per se. "The Bay Area" is an informal collection of cities and counties centered around San Francisco Bay, not a judicial unit with its own specific laws. Something could be illegal in San Francisco, but not in Marin, for example. Generally don't have "Bay Area" laws. The items listed above are illegal state-wide. Noon-chucks are good for a year in jail.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Expanding batons are not legal in California. This state has very restrictive laws, especially around weapons. Many if not most guns, all switchblade knives, nunchakus, sword canes, sap gloves, are illegal. Plastic knuckled motorcycle gloves are kind of legal, as long as they're not too weighted (if too heavy, they become "sap" gloves). "Bayarea" California is not a place name per se. "The Bay Area" is an informal collection of cities and counties centered around San Francisco Bay, not a judicial unit with its own specific laws. Something could be illegal in San Francisco, but not in Marin, for example. Generally don't have "Bay Area" laws. The items listed above are illegal state-wide. Noon-chucks are good for a year in jail.
That's what my understanding also, just a discussion with my friend and he think the expandable baton is legal as long as there's no lead in it. I told him no already, but I just want to run it by here.

Actually one doesn't get into as much trouble with a conceal gun than all these. It's crazy. But for me, gun is too deadly, once you use it, there's no turning back. So unless I know I am heading into a dangerous area, I won't even think about carrying a gun. My good old walking cane will out do pocket knives, short baton(expandable or not) and all that. It is 20oz, 29" long fiber reinforced nylon, people don't want to be hit by my cane. I have been practice cane fight for the last 8 months, not just carrying a cane. I even lost 10lbs after adding the cane exercise without even cutting down on food intake.

Funny, seems like a lot of people feel insulted to the idea of carrying a cane even when they are close to 60!!! To me, they are OLD, a cane doesn't make them look any older!!! I can saw my stepson ( 57) got a little offended when I suggested him to carry a cane as he has to take a bus to go to work in San Francisco everyday. There are a lot of crazy people, thugs on the bus. He refused, so that's it!!! My friend I had the discussion is kind of like this. Now he is talking about the expandable baton. I told him don't. I carry my cane everywhere.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Switchblades are legal to possess, but not to carry on your person, nor in the passenger compartment of a vehicle.

Latest Discussions