is this a historic chinese weapon?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is indeed a Dadao.
It is a weapon I wish I could get some instruction on using.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
sukerkin, thanks, outstanding link as well. i've done relatively little research on CMAs & the variety of weapons is a little daunting.

does anyone know if there is a particular style that specializes in dadao?

jf

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok, so i looked up dadao on youtube, & all i can find are kwan dao & an occasional pu dao form, labeled as da dao. what gives?

jf

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is most definitely an historic Chinese weapon, but it is not a sophisticated one. It is a weapon of cheap and nasty manufacture (nothing wrong with that, so were the sten and PPsH 41 smgs) and is generally associated with levy or militia troops. The dadao came to greater prominence during the 1930s during the Sino-Japanese War.

Given the nature of troops its was normally associated with one has to speculate that it was not a weapon to which sophisticated and complex methods were attached. I figure training included basic techniques which could be taught to a levied soldier as quickly as possible.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Only place I've seen Da Dao set in that fashion is in Wah Lum... Two Handed Army sword I think is the name of the set. Not terribly flashy but looks like a solid, no frills training routine. Given the area where Wah Lum came from & there were a lot of MA-ist fighting the Japanese, I can see where somebody learned it from somebody who taught it to somebody who passed it to a 3rd cousin on the mother's side, etc.... right after they used it to fight the japanese in a guerilla type action in China.

Some of the more famous CMA people that faught & yep, killed, the Japanese during the occupation & subsequent WW2 period in the army ...

Lao Fat Man - Ying Jow Pai
Chan Tai San - Lama Pai/Choy Li Fut Kuen
Hung Ju Sing - Hung Fut Pai

I know there's others, but these are ones that talked openly or were mentioned by others as fight the Japanese occupation forces in the South & using CMA as a weapon in it. Lau Fat Man was supposed to be in charge of a brigade known as the "Big Knives" or something along that referring to the DaDao they each carried. Their whole idea was to close as rapidly as possible against the Japanese & break out the blades.

fyn5000

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Got my copy of that issue (Vol. 2 No. 14) of Classical Fighting Arts yesterday. It's a good article. In it the authors mention 2 Republican-era martial arts manuals for the dadao, Slashing Saber Practice by Yin Yu Zhan and Xingyi Fist and Weapons Instruction by Huang Bo Nien. They mention a number of Republican-era military manuals, including Xingyi Fist and Weapons instructions were translated by Dennis Rovere and Chow Hon Huen.

fyn

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Got my copy of that issue (Vol. 2 No. 14) of Classical Fighting Arts yesterday. It's a good article. In it the authors mention 2 Republican-era martial arts manuals for the dadao, Slashing Saber Practice by Yin Yu Zhan and Xingyi Fist and Weapons Instruction by Huang Bo Nien. They mention a number of Republican-era military manuals, including Xingyi Fist and Weapons instructions were translated by Dennis Rovere and Chow Hon Huen.

fyn

I will have to pick that up.

Note: Historically Xingyiquan has a whole lot of weapons in its repertoire and it was the chosen CMA of the Chinese military at one time.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like a Nandao (or Southern Sword) to me. I agree looks very cool and aggressive.

Nandao is a current invent by the PRC Wushu machine for the Nan Quan division to have a bladed weapon "special" for them.

Go look at old Southern CMA schools & most blade work is done with Butterfly swords, daggers & a plain ol' dao.

bostonbomber

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nandao is a current invent by the PRC Wushu machine for the Nan Quan division to have a bladed weapon "special" for them.

Go look at old Southern CMA schools & most blade work is done with Butterfly swords, daggers & a plain ol' dao.

If we're both right then that answers the original question - it is not historic.

ngokfei

White Belt
Reaction score
Lau Fat Man also published a book on this weapon.

It is called the Da Dao Shu. The only copy I know to exist publicly is owned by the Lau Family (Lilly & Gini).

I only have a photo of the cover and one of the pages.