Broadswords

F

Furious George

What type of broadswords do you use? How do you like them?

I am looking into getting one (carbon steel, not wushu-style) and am wondering if anyone has any experience - good or bad - with any particular brands or styles.

I like this one - looks good and the price is right...has anybody used one?

http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/452063.html

If I had a little more cash I'd probably go with this one:

http://www.coldsteel.com/willeafsworb.html

BTW - what are your broadsword forms like? Do you train with wushu or stiff-bladed weapons? Pros/Cons...?

:asian:

OP
C

chufeng

Paul Chen's Hanwei Forge makes a wonderful broadsword...combat ready, sharpened and tempered.
It is NOT a wushu blade.

YiLiQuan practitioners use real broadswords...sharpened...makes you respect the blade...

We have two forms: a basic and an advanced form; they are derived from a Shaolin art called BaiXingQuan...not very fancy, but effective.

chufeng:asian:

OP
F

Furious George

Thanks for responding :cool:

Paul Chen's Hanwei Forge makes a wonderful broadsword...combat ready, sharpened and tempered.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for. I've heard good things about the Hanwei Forge. The scabbard is a little strange but that doesn't bother me too much. I like the look of the sword itself.

Ever have any incidents with students cutting themselves? I know a few students who have jabbed themselves pretty good with the tiger-hooks! Taping up weapons when learning helps.
I think a little danger increases the focus though, and as you said - makes you respect the blade. At half a pound heavier, the combat steel would build up the wrist a bit too...

What do you mean when you say the forms are effective? Practical, no-nonsense motions?
Is BaiXingQuan the same as Baji? An internal style related to Bagua/Xingyi?

OP
C

chufeng

BaiXing is NOT the same BaJi, although it may be similar.

It is an underground Shaolin art that was practiced by members of certain groups who were trying to overthrow the Qing (manchu) dynasty and restore the Ming dynasty. It was comprised of Shaolin boxing, XingYiQuan, and BaGuaChang. It is the primary source for what has become YiLiQuan.

The broadsword forms contain none of the acrobatic movements you see in modern WuShu styles...We actually perform one-step drills with live blades...puts the nerves on a keen edge.

Yes we've had students cut themselves...
There is one movement that is seen in many broadsword forms where the blade is brought around in front of the body and pushed out with the palm into an on-guard position...problem was, this student pushed his wrist out with the blade instead...
Another student was practicing thrusting actions with the sword in an "invisible stance" (I didn't make up the name...suffice it to say that direct on the blade is hidden behind the leg) and when he thrusted forward, he stabbed himself in the calf. Both injuries required stitches...both were "self-inflicted" in that they did not occur during one-step practice...both individuals cleaned up the blood they dripped on the floor...that was one of the rules of the kwoon, at that time.

But all in all, we have a very good safety record...even with "live" blades.

chufeng

OP
F

Furious George

both individuals cleaned up the blood they dripped on the floor...that was one of the rules of the kwoon, at that time

...my kind of kwoon :D

OP
Y

yilisifu

I dearly love Chen's Hanwei blade. It is a joy to handle and absolutely authentic. I would strongly recommend getting one of these blades if you're serious about owning a real broadsword.

Yili's broadsword forms contain many "dirty tricks" not found in other traditional forms; techniques that work very well in actual combat but which not necessarily very flowery.

OP
F

Furious George

Thanks for the advice guys -

I think I will go with the Hanwei Broadsword - sounds like what I'm after and won't break the bank...anyone know any good Canadian online suppliers? I'd like to avoid huge customs/shipping/exchange costs if possible...?

Still interested in hearing about people's experiences working with the swords and forms - hope to have some thoughts to share soon too.

Radhnoti

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I did some research on this topic not so long ago. Went to Sword Forum International's Chinese section and researched the previous answers there. The general consensus was that Kris Cutlery had the best deal with the best steel. Here's cut and paste from people who claim to be well informed...and I have no reason to doubt them:

Alexander Chin (SFI Executive Editor)-
"The K(ris)C(utlery) swords are decent attempts and excellent values for their price (around $200). The blades are homogeneous steel (5160) and the fittings are not historically accurate. The dao is actually the most functional, since the gim & jian lack the distal-tapers needed to properly balance the swords. As a result, the guards and pommels are too heavy, which makes the swords vibration-prone in cutting.

For the average martial arts practitioner, the KC swords should prove sturdy and functional enough for forms practice and cutting. Again, this is all at a very reasonable price
I forgot to mention one other useful thing regarding the KC swords. They can be ordered sharpened or not. This is important for safety and many schools are reluctant to allow people to train with sharp weapons (for obvious reasons).

If you are looking at purchasing a dao, then you might consider the Willow Leafs (offered under various names) by Cicada Forge and Museum Replicas. These are unsharpened, but quite well done, albeit more expensive than the KC swords."
Philip Tom -" Kris Cutlery sells an inexpensive one made in the Philippines that is well balanced and of good steel (although it is not very attractive to look at and the finish is mediocre)."
Manoucher - "If you are looking for a good affordable Jian and dao: Check Kris Cutlery: Iown a Gim, a Jian and a dao, all excellent and sturdy, each for $195,-. They cut very well. My KC dao is a cutter. It prevailed the hardest cutting test. I own a Paul Chen Jian(www.casiberia.com also know as a Hanwei)(I guess around $400,-) as well; excellent and beautiful piece with a nice balance. Chen has introduced new lines of Jian lately as well.

A.D. Dacus - "The Kris is well worth the Money. It has the feel of live steel. I don't think you would be disappointed. If you want a "wall hanger" then go with the P.C."
http://www.earthworks.com/shaolin/weapons

Latest Discussions