Is There Hope for an End to Fundamentalism?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have just read this very well crafted and thoughtful article on the BBC. It describes, tho the author may not have realised it, how the dead-end trap that radical Islam has wandered into has to end, for the good of everyone, whether followers of the faith or not. For the alternative is a world in flames when the non-Muslim nations finally have enough of the futile pecking of the radicals and demonstrate once again just how terrible a destruction can be wrought on a country that refuses to play by the rules most other nations accept:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22640614

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have just read this very well crafted and thoughtful article on the BBC. It describes, tho the author may not have realised it, how the dead-end trap that radical Islam has wandered into has to end, for the good of everyone, whether followers of the faith or not. For the alternative is a world in flames when the non-Muslim nations finally have enough of the futile pecking of the radicals and demonstrate once again just how terrible a destruction can be wrought on a country that refuses to play by the rules most other nations accept:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22640614
Sadly, I'm afraid that that is the road we are headed down.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye and it is a very frightening one to ponder indeed - for 'righteous' anger can lead us to some terrible places as nations or even as a species.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In spite of the concerns for global warming and other such "natural" disasters, I'm convinced that mankind will engineer it's own extinction through violent technology.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
fundamentalism is a part of human nature and will rise and fall as people travel through history. Keeping in mind that religion isn't the only place where dangerous fundamentalism can cause human tragedy, as shown by the belief in the benifesence of the state as seen in Germany, Russia, China, Cambodia, Vietnam...they were as fundamentalist in nature as any religion, and yet squashed religious belief in their fundamentalism...

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A good point Bill and it is something that I do hold in mind when considering the human condition and how, periodically, we seem to tend towards the extreme, usually with violent consequences.

Latest Discussions