Is taekwondo very common in the UK?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, and a Facebook page does not count as " Online-Presence " ?

What I meant was, if they have any online presence at all, it's maybe a Facebook page and not much else. In other words, many clubs don't even have that.

If you'd like, I can send you the hyperlinks to all the local clubs that don't have any online presence at all. Oh, wait... :eek:

OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
What I meant was, if they have any online presence at all, it's maybe a Facebook page and not much else. In other words, many clubs don't even have that.

If you'd like, I can send you the hyperlinks to all the local clubs that don't have any online presence at all. Oh, wait... :eek:

Hehe, good one.

I know that there are clubs which have no online presence at all, I just think a club which wants to survive, NEED online presence. Because the people starting with martial arts, are MOSTLY below 30 or even below 20s, which means, they are not going to walk around and ask people for martial art clubs, they are having a look in to google and that's it, plenty of martial art clubs will show up there, so there is no need to have an " outside-online " search for MA clubs.

This is why I think a martial art club without ANY online presence not even with Facebook presence, is some sort of supect to me, suspect when it comes to organisation and developing. A good organise martial arts club knows how to advertise and also wants continuesly develop itself.

But this is just my personal opinion. Maybe I have this opinion because I've been making a couple of bad experience with martial art schools which were not online-present at all, and I kind of more found by asking people. Most of them were very small ( which is not bad ) but the trainers were usually kind of demotivated and not really arrived in modern world, they seriously believed walking down katas all day long and train without any contact will make a good warrior. But maybe I just hit the wrong clubs ;)

Jacky Zuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Some martial arts schools don't have an online presence simply because they want to attract people who are willing to seek them out rather than those who just type "karate" into a search engine. There are clubs who don't need to advertise online because they do their advertising locally and have a reasonable cohort already. There are clubs who don't advertise online because they wish to remain small and select. There are many reasons why a club may not be online and survival doesn't come into it. The clubs around here with the best internet presence are those with whom I would never be seen training, there is still a certain cachet to not needing to advertise.

Oh and not every club is about training to be a good warrior as you put it, otherwise why train in martial arts at all. Many clubs are more focussed on training to be better people; healthier, fitter, more focussed, emotionally stable, confident and resilient. If I wanted to be a better warrior I would just practice shooting at rats with my shotgun. Defence is only one of the reasons I train in karate.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, I think a lot of university clubs may not bother with an online presence. Same goes for clubs that are hosted by local community centers, YMCAs, etc. Those kinds of places can rely on flyers tacked onto the bulletin board, and they have limited space anyway so it's not as if they're necessarily trying to expand too much.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is it? Our dojang doesn't have any online presence. And I don't think we're particularly weird.
Just what I mean. Some of the best places with the highest standards have no online presence. They don't need it because their word of mouth is strong, or they train an elite group by invitation.

OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just what I mean. Some of the best places with the highest standards have no online presence. They don't need it because their word of mouth is strong, or they train an elite group by invitation.

This might be right, but is sadly not the common case for non-online present martial art clubs.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This might be right, but is sadly not the common case for non-online present martial art clubs.
Depends on your individual circumstances. Online present clubs can be great too, I don't think whether or not they are online is the defining factor. That is beside the point; the fact is many great clubs exist which are not online, and if you are only looking on Google, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd really love to seem some documentation to support this ridiculous claim.
What I suspect will happen, though, as with your other more outlandish claims, is that you will completely fail to provide any support.
Actually, I more than suspect this. I am quite certain that you will utterly fail to provide any support.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder to all this is a friendly forum, disagreements are fine but please be respectful of each other.

Smile and be happy or else!

"Ensign!"
"Yes, Captain?"
"Ready, the tickling feathers, and be prepared to fire on my mark!"
"Aye Aye, Captain!"

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd really love to seem some documentation to support this ridiculous claim.
What I suspect will happen, though, as with your other more outlandish claims, is that you will completely fail to provide any support.
Actually, I more than suspect this. I am quite certain that you will utterly fail to provide any support.

So... my prediction was right. Your only attempt to support your ridiculous claim was to click "Dislike"..

It's laughable, really.

You can dislike as often as you wish, kid. It won't change the fact that every unsupported, ridiculous claim you make merely further erodes your already poor credibility.