Taekwondo isn't from Karate, it's from Korean Gwonbub that existed for 300 years

GMK Sa Bom Nim

White Belt
Reaction score
Did I say that? No, not at all. I believe some of the comments made early in the thread that contradict that premise are unfounded or at best, poorly supported. I am referencing the original poster's zealous defense of his alternate view regarding entirely different and absolute origin of Taekwondo.

I have trained under Grand Master Kim, Nam Souk, who was trained by Grand Master Uhm, Woon Kyu, who as you probably know, was one of Grand Master Lee, Won Kuk’s original and first students. I am fully in agreement that large portion of Taekwondo and specifically, the Chung Do Kwan style, comes from Shotokan Karate. Geiken Funakoshi, one of Master Lee's teachers was instrumental in bringing that style to Korea from Okinawa. Our dojang still practices the original Pyong-Ahn poomsae, which Master Lee incorporated from Shotokan karate. These poomsae are adapted from the Okinawan Pinan kata (called Heian in other parts of Japan).

My statement about the lack of knowledge and parents calling Taekwondo, "Karate" was not in any way a comment on Taekwondo's origins, but rather that most non-practitioners do not know one martial art style from the next and that the knowledge demonstrated by some of the previous commenters in this thread were as negligible.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did I say that? No, not at all. I believe some of the comments made early in the thread that contradict that premise are unfounded or at best, poorly supported. I am referencing the original poster's zealous defense of his alternate view regarding entirely different and absolute origin of Taekwondo.

I have trained under Grand Master Kim, Nam Souk, who was trained by Grand Master Uhm, Woon Kyu, who as you probably know, was one of Grand Master Lee, Won Kuk’s original and first students. I am fully in agreement that large portion of Taekwondo and specifically, the Chung Do Kwan style, comes from Shotokan Karate. Geiken Funakoshi, one of Master Lee's teachers was instrumental in bringing that style to Korea from Okinawa. Our dojang still practices the original Pyong-Ahn poomsae, which Master Lee incorporated from Shotokan karate. These poomsae are adapted from the Okinawan Pinan kata (called Heian in other parts of Japan).

My statement about the lack of knowledge and parents calling Taekwondo, "Karate" was not in any way a comment on Taekwondo's origins, but rather that most non-practitioners do not know one martial art style from the next and that the knowledge demonstrated by some of the previous commenters in this thread were as negligible.
Ok. just trying to spark some conversation.

What's funny is that in our area, TKD is very prevalent, so when people hear I study "karate" they always ask me how my "tkd training is going".

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20221025-172014_Gallery.jpg

Latest Discussions