Is self defense war?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
All levels of human conflict have commonalities that apply across categories.......but not all conflicts are the same.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The mindset isn't exactly the same. In war, one is taking an offensive footing.....in the sense that one is actively finding, fixing, engaging and destroying the enemy. The same mindset on the street would have one actively seeking the mugger and killing him.

The reality is that both war and self-defense situations are conflicts.....but they are different levels of conflict. Many concepts apply across both, but they are not the same.

The combat mindset is really the same once he initiates the attack. Than it is prudent to attack the attacker, not respond defensively but take the offense, take him out. But, yes, there is a difference in that once the threat is neutralized you should not kill the guy, even though in the case of a knife wielder who attacks you, you might be doing society a favor. The mindset is similiar in that you take the offense, attack the attacker, do what it takes to stop the attack, kill if necessary.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are being attacked, only your attacker knows how far he will go.
If you are in a life and death fight and don't think it is, you could go home in a box.
If you aren't in a life and death fight, and you think it is, you could go to prison...

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lotsa neat stuff being said here, up to and including play on words. What I would ask before I took anyone's statement as enlightened is... Have you ever faced the bear? If not, then anything you are going to say is theoretical, at best or an opinion, at least.

I will say that in 61 years, I have had to roll out a couple of times both professionally (job not pro wrestler), and unprofessionally, out with friends or whatever. But no matter the situation... If someone rolls on me, then it's all bets off and balls to the wall. It doesn't matter if your a soldier or civilian. Like was said earlier, dead is dead, and you can't get deader.

If, in my opinion, you don't care if you live or die, then go through all the rationalization, or take up a fighting sport, or watch reruns of Ninja Turtles. Otherwise, plan on doing what it takes to survive in a direct confrontation.

Not too long ago I was assisting in a seminar. After my little contribution I had a couple of "older" students come up and say that I teach a direct, more offensive style of Kenpo. I said, "Maybe, but I'm here to teach you so that your chances of being here tomorrow are slightly improved."

Whoever said it up topside said it very well... In every siginificant confrontation (more than calling each other naughty names) you either choose to live or choose to die, and act accordingly.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not too long ago I was assisting in a seminar. After my little contribution I had a couple of "older" students come up and say that I teach a direct, more offensive style of Kenpo. I said, "Maybe, but I'm here to teach you so that your chances of being here tomorrow are slightly improved."

Whoever said it up topside said it very well... In every siginificant confrontation (more than calling each other naughty names) you either choose to live or choose to die, and act accordingly.

Yeah, they intellectualize well, but if somebody is coming at you with a knife and you stand there and wonder what will happen if you use to much force, well, your going to die. You have to react fast, take the guy out by any means available! The proper combat mindset is essential, at least this was drilled into me so thoroughly I really can't think any other way when faced with that specific type of situation. A non lethal attack would of course be different, and the response would be different.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The combat mindset is really the same once he initiates the attack. Than it is prudent to attack the attacker, not respond defensively but take the offense, take him out. But, yes, there is a difference in that once the threat is neutralized you should not kill the guy, even though in the case of a knife wielder who attacks you, you might be doing society a favor. The mindset is similiar in that you take the offense, attack the attacker, do what it takes to stop the attack, kill if necessary.

Actually the war making mindset is about aggressively, and preferably proactively, attacking the enemies strategic resources. The combat mindset is that it is preferable to destroy a sleeping enemy than an active and aware one.

The self-defense mindset is originally reactive.

Human conflict is a spectrum, with the type of individual self-defense situation somewhere along one end of the spectrum, and various levels of armed group conflict at the other extreme.......but they do have commonality of themes and concepts that apply across categories. They are not, however, exactly the same.

Latest Discussions