Self defense scenarios

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of times when the subject of SD comes up, it's mentioned as a sorta singular topic. However, it should be pretty obvious that "self-defense" is not just "self-defense" and as such, mentality and response should be different

So what are the most common categories?

These are just some examples...anyone have a good list?

1) Social scenario when someone becomes aggravated toward you and attempts to hurt you (ex...guy in bar in Boston doesn't like your Yankees jersey... guy thinks you're checking out/flirting with his girl).

2) Mugging attempt (unknown stranger attempts to rob you). Is there a difference between whether the person threatens violence or initiates violence as a first move?

3) For women, man is being unwanted-ly belligerent (ie..hitting on you and grabbing you)

4) For women, attempted kidnapping and/or sexual assault?

What else?

Obviously, the first hope is to avoid the confrontation before it gets physical, but sometimes that mmay not be possible?

So does your mindset vary, at least in your goals (other than to get home safe)? how about tactics? Level of violence *you're* willing to go to?

Imminent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I may oversimplify but I think it works, anti-social/social violence like bar bravado ego driven scenes are a matter of engagement by choice, asocial attacks are where you must respond with violence or you will be a victim. If it is social/anti-social leave, if it is asocial, do whatever you must but remember you have to be able to leave safely so make sure he is non-functional.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
FF and I

thanks for raising this.

for women and girls - overwhelmingly - by members of family, both immediate and extended; and friends/known members of social groups/co-workers - assaults (of all kinds, but esp sexual/physical violence). Sources include USD of J, FBI, Nat'l Crime Victim data, state crime data etc. specific numbers vary but the ratio/pattern holds. So sad, but it isn't even close. And I have yet to observe any MA based SD4W classes, talks or training (or non-MA for that matter) that includes any realistic scenarios of most frequent assaults/rape/molestation. Current teachers and teaching is still frozen/stuck on 'stranger, blitz, jump and grab'.

For men/boys also - so often family and known people. I don't track this as closely so someone else may have better info. here. Not as asymetrical as for women/girls but far far more often than depicted or even acknowledged in classes.

Sad that this is the reality. Sad that reality is so seldom seen or even seriously mentioned in classes and training.

thanks again.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Other common scenarios we discuss in class:

Kids - awareness; where to go if someone/some situation makes you nervous; why to never help a stranger who offers candy, wants help finding a lost puppy, etc.

Kids (and women) - cars, and how to avoid people in them

All ages - how to deal with bullies of various types without escalating the situation

Where to go if you feel nervous, afraid, or otherwise concerned

I generally start with a particular situation and then ask what situations have made people nervous in the past, and how they dealt with them - then go on from there.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice thread.

I usually use the news (past and present) as a source for scenarios. Since I live in a big city there are unfortunately plenty of examples.

Kids:
Buddy system.
Neighborhood magician that wants to tie you up.
A lost adult that asks for directions, time, help.
What is a stranger?
A stranger wanting to buy you something (ice cream, candy, etc)
Places to run for safety.
Dropping anything that may slow you down.
Bullies.
Gangs.

Adults:
Awareness drills (using color codes).
How safe is your house/work place?
When you enter a restaurant do you know at least two exits before you sit down?
Where do you park your car?
How do you enter your car?
Is there enough room when you drive for you to pull out and go another way during traffic?
Road Rage.
Can you spot a tail (stranger or acquaintance that is following you)?
How do you manage an unkown contact?
Always assume at least one more goof.
Can you see their hands well?
Knife/Gun drills.
Starwell scenario.
Elevator scenario.
Guy talking on a cell phone (fake and will mug you).
Two people arguing (fake and will mug you).
Crazed ding dong that wants to have some fun with you.
Prison Breakout Drill (multiple man scenario).
Available weapons on hand and in the environment.
Listen to the news for more ideas.

Latest Discussions