Anonymous Reputation

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually have a pretty good idea who probably sent me this reputation ding, but I'll refrain from voicing my suspicions publicly...

Anonymous Coward said:
why post if you have nothing germane to the discussion to offer?

Well, Mr. Coward, I think pointing to the rather narrow ideological assumptions concerning both sides is a pretty "germane" contribution to the discussion thread. I also think calling for the voice of reason and moderate compromise (albeit in my own little polemical way) is probably an appropriate response when a Right vs Left spewfest appears to be a'brewing.

Its certainly no less "germane" than most of the other posts on this thread.

Laterz.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
I actually have a pretty good idea who probably sent me this reputation ding, but I'll refrain from voicing my suspicions publicly...

Well, Mr. Coward, I think pointing to the rather narrow ideological assumptions concerning both sides is a pretty "germane" contribution to the discussion thread. I also think calling for the voice of reason and moderate compromise (albeit in my own little polemical way) is probably an appropriate response when a Right vs Left spewfest appears to be a'brewing.

Its certainly no less "germane" than most of the other posts on this thread.

Laterz.
Wasn't me.

If I ding someone, I would just assume them know that it is me. I hate annoymous dings. Cowards.

Plus I am dumb, wait here while I go look up germane.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I could dedicate a thread to my unsigned rep dings. Its part of posting your opinion, suck it up.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The regular posting system is designed to be public and not anonymous.

PMs are not public and not anonymous.

Rep. is not public and anonymous.

Layers, options...to be frank, an unsigned ding makes me think more than when I can say "Oh yeah, so-and-so is a twit, I'll ignore his comment." I'm not sure the site benefits from this rep. option, but it does add a different possibility. I'm not sure people are cowards for using it as intended/designed.

I rarely sign unless I'm using it as a quick-and-dirty PM (like an IM). It leads to tit-for-tat either way--whether it's a plus or a minus change. I try to give a boost to newcomers ("Welcome!" is me, and so is "Dude!") to show they're welcome and get them on the right track.

The rep. system is different. If everyone should see it--post it. If one person should see it--PM it. If you really want to send a message, you can rep. it...though frankly, all this MISSES THE POINT that it's meant to be a "vote" on an individual post.

Too many people are using it as a weapon against a person rather than a comment to the public on the value of that post, which is then averaged into a reflection of the user's usual posting habits. Like teacher rating sites, people are more likely to give a complaint than kudos.

Too much bandwidth is wasted on complaints about the rep. system. It's often the same at otehr places with rep./karma/what-have-you.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What he said, if rep was meant to be signed it would automatically attach your name too it ;)

The way I figure, if you're not getting the occasional red mark you're not posting honestly, just acting like a sheep and going with the crowd.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's what I say about my teaching--if no one thinks it's poor, it's probably because everyone thinks it's mediocre!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's just an opinion - you can't please everybody. Let it slide.

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
I always sign my rep dings. So when they read them then they might have a better understanding of why I gave it to them. They can go back in the conversation and find out where we disagree/agree. Then if they still don't understand they can ask me.

kid

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the things I used to do was try to deduce from whom I received the anonymous rep dings by detailing everyone who had posted in the thread (which demonstrated sufficient interest, or so I thought), and then cross referencing that with what I thought were the approximate value of their reputation based on how it displayed, and what message pops up when you hover over it.

As it turned out, I was always wrong. I came to discover (after about a year here) that when someone assigns you negative rep, you are deducted half the value of the rep they are able to influence you to the positive.

Yes, I have spent far too much time researching this crap.....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One other point - If you feel you are being harassed through the rep system, please let an admin know.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I noticed someone had thier rep points disabled. How do you do that?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You have to be a supporting member to disable rep.

I left an unsigned comment today, but only because I hit the enter key by accident.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's too bad.

I don't really mind so much if someone puts a negative because of an opinion. But I suspect that someone (or some group) just goes around to everything I post and puts in a negative, regardless of the topic or my statement.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
That's too bad.

I don't really mind so much if someone puts a negative because of an opinion. But I suspect that someone (or some group) just goes around to everything I post and puts in a negative, regardless of the topic or my statement.
JAMJTX - I suggest you take heed to Bob's advice (since he's the owner of the site) ...
Bob Hubbard said:
One other point - If you feel you are being harassed through the rep system, please let an admin know.
...and report your suspicions officially if that's what you indeed think.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
That's too bad.

So, I never noticed you before. But, after this post I did a search on your posting history.

"Ninjutsu is just a code word for McDojo" and "salesman like Hatsumi" were two examples of phrases which I did not enjoy. You got a negative rep from me on that one.

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Those are not the ones that I care about.

Are you the brave soul who signed it with the initials FU? That's always an inteligent reply. You got a ding from me on that one.

I am talking about others where there in no way can be anything negative construed by anyone. Are you the one going around searching under my user name and just dinging everything?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Put me in your ignore list. Any rep comments I've made to you will disappear, and you will know exactly which ones I've left. IIRC, only 1 so far.

You can only give out 10 per day and you have to have 10 comments to other folks before you can come back and give another comment to the same user.

That system really discourages following folks and acting on a grudge. At the least, I don't have that kind of motivation.

And I really question the use of the term "bravery" for any message board warriorship. Whatever, man.