Is it valid to defend your school's honour?

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Fighting NEVER upholds "honor".
If you resort to violence in response to a non-violent circumstance, you've dropped your 'honor' and there's nothing left to defend but pride.

Your Brother
John
Well said, Bro.

And we all know what pride comes before...

Better to walk away from the fight.

BTW Tony: you explained [elsewhere] that this tkd guy is a friend of your best friend. You all ever try to sit him down and talk to him about his aggression? Maybe he just needs to talk to someone who cares.:asian:

S

SMP

captnigh said:
I don't think it is egotistical to offer a free lesson to someone who clearly doesn't understand what you do. But that's just me - obviously I don't have the insight or wit you do. As far as the fear of harm that plagues you, don't worry - as long as you don't stand up for yourself, I'm sure that will subside.
If you consider yourself a fighter or that your schools honor rest soley on one persons openion then obviously you must fight.
I would like to consider myself a martial artist in which case hurting this person insulting or disrepecting my school would not fix anything. I cant see him/her waking up after fighting and saying wow I was mistaken maybe I should apologize. So what does fighting prove - insecurity. As for my schools honor or my artforms credability time is the greatest judge. Not only what kind of fighters do we mold but what kind of people are we. As for my instructors honor I am sure he can take care of that himself. Thanks - SMP

C

captnigh

Brother John said:
Hey Capt.
I liked your story too.
I think that you misunderstood this guys reply. I don't think he was being snide really. It seems that he liked to hear of a martial artist who didn't exhibit egotism. In other words, he thinks your instructor did the right thing.
Unless I REALLY missed something, seems he paid a compliment.

Your Brother
John
Oops. Sorry if I got defensive... For some reason I got a sarcastic vibe. My bad!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John you post was exactly right to the point. GOD BLESS AMERICA and yourself