Is it too late to start ? Which martial art ?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of the senior instructors in my dojo started at the age of 70. He turns 85 this year, and still trains once a week. He cracked a pretty good joke one time, when he was pondering over how good he could have been, had he started at the age of 55 instead of 70.

With the condition that the OP is in, I see no reason why he might be "too late." With some hard work and a good learning attitude, he could certainly become a black belt in a respectable system in 4 years (or even less), and have many decades of training left in him.

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Not too late at all. I recently met an Aikido practitioner that started at the age of 56. She acquired her Shodan at the age of 64.

OP
E

Emiel

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for the vaste amount of replies.
I'll defenitely start looking around.

OP
E

Emiel

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna start looking around with my best friend and my sister to start doing something.
Should be aloàt of fun.

Tortoise

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna start looking around with my best friend and my sister to start doing something.
Should be aloàt of fun.
I thought this thread would be written by someone closer to my age. Let's just say I am old enough to be your mother. I started taking Chinese Kenpo when I was 29, stopped training when life changed at 36 and began taking American Kenpo at age 46. I am 5'1" and weigh about 125 lbs. I get a lot out of it. American Kenpo is well suited to smaller people so you might want to try that.
Good luck! I hope you get whatever it is you are looking for out of it.

Kwon Bup

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Age is never an issue. As for the specific system...pick the one that speaks the most to you. There are literally thousand of variations of the martial arts. The trick is insuring that the instructor is just that...an instructor. My advice, watch and observe several classes.

Latest Discussions