Is it too late to start ? Which martial art ?

Emiel

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

First of all, i'm 19 years old and want to get into martial art for the sport, training and self defense.
Would it be too late to get into it ?

Second, I've been interested in Martial arts for quite a while now and tried Aikido but that didn't really work out because the lesson didn't have enough physical strength training in it and was very spiritual based.
I'm a rather small guy and don't have alot of mass. (1m75,5 feet and 8.9 inches. and I'm about 56kg) But my endurance is great(I can run about 20km). Now because I'm small I want to get into a martial art which doesn't require alot of mass and more uses the moment of the opponent but still focusses a bit around punches and parrys. I'd also like to be able to use the martial art as a last resort defend strategy in street fights.

any ideas on martial arts that have those main elements ?

I also like to train my physic so that is also a plus point.

Thank you for taking your time.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, you are literally a spring chicken. You can start anything, anytime you like. I started TKD at the age of 43 and am loving it.

Look at what arts are around you, that you can get to easily get to and that you can afford. Then watch or take a trial class and if you like it, do it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

First of all, i'm 19 years old and want to get into martial art for the sport, training and self defense.

Second, I've been interested in Martial arts for quite a while now and tried Aikido but that didn't really work out because the lesson didn't have enough physical strength training in it and was very spiritual based.
I'm a rather small guy and don't have alot of mass. (1m75,5 feet and 8.9 inches. and I'm about 56kg) But my endurance is great(I can run about 20km). Now because I'm small I want to get into a martial art which doesn't require alot of mass and more uses the moment of the opponent but still focusses a bit around punches and parrys. I'd also like to be able to use the martial art as a last resort defend strategy in street fights.

In a word..... no

Your 19, the sky is still the limit.... pick on and start training

and I should know...I've been 19 twice.... and working on my 3rd time around

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Larger stronger people have the advantage in martial arts. It does not matter what one you do.

All martial arts use technique to get the most out of their movements.

They are not separate elements.

So do whatever martial art interests you.

Otherwise I do mma and really enjoy it. Smaller people can get very good at it. You will need endurance. You will gain technique and it uses striking and grappling. So you will be able to parry strikes and learn to use someone's momentum against them.

It also works fine in self defence.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If your starting for self defense any age is fine. My understanding is that BJJ in particular was made for smaller guys to handle themselves in self defense against larger. That said, I think you would need to compliment with a striking art to be well rounded in the street.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My coach started at 26.ish

On July 8 he will be fighting in Vegas for the ufc.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now because I'm small I want to get into a martial art which doesn't require alot of mass and more uses the moment of the opponent but still focusses a bit around punches and parrys.
First get rid of this mentality. Size has very little to do with power when it comes to martial arts. If you keep assuming that size = power, then you'll start to assume that when your opponent is larger than you, that it also means he's stronger than you. You don't want to defeat yourself before the fight starts.

I think Jet Li is 5'6 and Bruce lee was 5'7.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First get rid of this mentality. Size has very little to do with power when it comes to martial arts. If you keep assuming that size = power, then you'll start to assume that when your opponent is larger than you, that it also means he's stronger than you. You don't want to defeat yourself before the fight starts.

I think Jet Li is 5'6 and Bruce lee was 5'7.
Tatsuo Shimabuku Soke was 125 soaking wet and threw around hulking US Marines like they were toys. You are correct. OP, dump the attitude that size equals power. Or speed. Or agility. Pick an art and start training. And dump the excuses while you are at it. There's nothing wrong with Aikido. If you had a problem with it, the issue isn't the art or your size. Problem is between your ears.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To be honest I personally don't like to fight someone smaller than me. When you are smaller than someone it's easier to get under them. Most people train to punch straight ahead and not downwards. Fighting smaller people is sometimes like fighting a dog, because they fight under you and up close.

I think Manny Pacquiao is about your height as well. I definitely don't want to fight him.

Embrace your height and just understand that like everyone else you'll have some advantages and disadvantages because of your height. Smaller people also tend to be more vicious than taller people who have always counted on their size to be intimidating.

If this guy doesn't let his height determine who is the strongest then you shouldn't worry about your height.

If you ask short martial artists if they like fighting taller or shorter people, the majority of them are going to say that they like fighting taller people.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martialtalk, bro.

Yeah, you might be a little too old to start training, but, maybe not. What the hell, give it a shot.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, 19 is plenty young to start, even if you are going to be competitive. Second, check the sticky threads at the top of the beginners corner-they shoudl answer your questions.
Choosing a school

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

You're definitely not too old, unless maybe your goal is to compete in the Olympics or at that kind of level in a sport competition. But if your goal is to learn some self-defense skills, get in shape, and maybe go do some sport competitions - you're at a great age to start.

It sounds like you're interested in an art that focuses more on grappling and submission techniques than on striking. There are a lot of arts like that, like BJJ (Brazilian Jujitsu), Judo, Hapkido, Sambo, etc. If intense physical conditioning is a big part of what you're looking for in your martial arts training, you may want to check out an MMA school that trains competitive fighters, if there's one near you. I think a lot of times they offer fitness classes like Crossfit and Insanity (I think that's like P90X but more cardio focused?) in addition to BJJ and striking art training.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At 19, you're too old to get started if your goal is to be an 18 & Under champion.

I started at 19. I restarted at 38 (after a 14 year break). I wasn't too old either time.

I think the advice here has been great. I'll add an art to look into - Kyokushin karate. Hard hitting, practicality and endurance are what make it what it is IMO.

The truth is no two instructors are going to teach the same way, even in the same system, let alone the same art. Visit some schools that you can get to, that has a schedule you can live with, and you can afford. If what they're doing makes sense to you and is in line with what your want, give it a go. There's good and bad schools in every art, even MMA. Pick a school, not an art.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
19? Man, how great would I be now if I could have started HEMA at 19? Boggles the mind.

Go try a bunch of arts, and pick one you like. If you want to be able to "handle yourself" in a fight, then any combination of boxing or Muay Thai with wrestling, Judo or some other grappling art will do just fine.

The best foundational art you'll find is wrestling. If you can wrestle well, everything else will be considerably easier. Judo is another good choice.

However, it comes down to what you enjoy. If you decide that art XYZ is the ultimate but you hate it, you won't train and won't improve. It's better to pick an art you'll actually enjoy doing. It's like getting a guitar... you won't practice on a guitar you don't like, but when you find that one sweet axe, you'll never want to put it down.

doublejabbing

White Belt
Reaction score
Its never to late really. Some of the best martial artists in the world started very late.

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
19 = too old...

does not compute.

wish I had started my present style when I was 19 though

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recommend you take up Kenpo, it has a bit of everything from striking, to grappling and take downs. It is a very balanced style.

Latest Discussions