is it possible that theres still old school ninja clans

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to address this one quickly (I hope!).

The confusion over dates is actually not that uncommon, especially with people trying to change from the Japanese callendar to a Western one. There are also theories that Toda Shinryuken Masamitsu was not the direct teacher for the most part, but possibly Takamatsu's uncle instead, and the two persons have had their dates overlap. The school was Toda Sr's, but Toda Jr may have done most of the teaching. As I said earlier, there have been claims of Toda Sensei's grave being found.

As to using Takagi Ryu and Kukishin Ryu (not a jujutsu system, really) to argue whether or not they are classed as a ninjutsu lineage anywhere other than the Bujinkan and related organisations, they don't claim them as being ninjutsu lineages. Part of the reason the Bujinkan changed the description of it's technical curriculum from Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu to Bujinkan Ninpo Taijutsu to Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu was to reflect the fact that ninjutsu was only a small aspect of what it taught in it's schools.

As to why modern schools cannot be considered ninjutsu, the simple answer is that the required circumstances for a ninjutsu school to be founded no longer exist. Those circumstances include the fuedal caste system as applied in Japan (sorry Touch Of Death, not applicable to any other locale, including India), the particular geography of the region, the political situation (military dictatorships, a ruling military class, persecusion of non-conforming groups etc), and more. And those circumstances simply do not exist anymore.

As to a verifiable koryu lineage, the simple fact is that two independant historians, Watatani and Yamada, put together a book (two editions have been created) called the Bugei Ryuha Daijiten, in which they personally did their own research into the veracity of the claims of many koryu and other traditions throughout Japan, and the traditions held by Takamatsu and then Hatsumi are the only ones that passed muster. That is it. There is no other that is even close to that level of verification or legitimacy. And again, although Takamatsu's claims have been disputed, they have not been disproven.

If you look at the various ryu contained within the Bujinkan and related organisations, each is completely consistant in it's individual approach, in other words, it has a complete and defined philosophy and method of movement, distinct and defined apart from the others. There is of course a certain amount of cross-over, given how inter-related some of the ryu themselves are, but this defining guiding philosophy is something that I have never seen in any "modern ninjutsu" system. The closest I have seen are in some karate based bogus schools, because their guiding philosophy is basically the karate origin, but then they have other aspects tacked on which contravene that basic approach. This is like adding nunchaku to a ninjutsu system. It goes against the basic philosophy of the system, and if you aren't getting that, then you aren't getting the way ninjutsu works, moves, or approached combat. And that simply means you have never trained ninjutsu.

Draven

Green Belt
Reaction score
Chris, here is the problem.
a) Takamatsu has no proof that Toda even existed and that kills the lineage of the 3 ninjutsu ryu-ha orgionally claimed as such by the Bujinkan.
b) Yes, it is often quoted that Takamatsu's friend said he created the togakure ryu system from "childhood ninja games" what is often ignored is that the same Bugei Ryuha Daijiten refered to Toda as an "oral tradition." Meaning all we have is Takamatsu's word.
c) Toda Shinryuken Masamitsu who was allegedly Takamtsu's grandfather, uncle, friend of the family etc (the story changes depending on who tells it) was also supposed to be a "bone-setter" in Kobe. Problem is there are no records of Toda Shinryuken Masamitsu, in Kobe which was a large city at the time. So there should be a record of a bone-setter or a dojo of some kind. There isn't...
d) Takamatsu's Chinese experiences are likewise based on his say so & Hatsumi at first told Don Draeger he was "reconstructing ninjutsu." But, he did go to China we just have his word for what he did there.

I can go into deeper detail but facts are there are holes and you can spin however you like but their just isn't any proof. Now take Omoto-Ryu I can trace it back to 3 people past, 2 in Japan & 1 in the US. As far as know its a "reconstructed system" or it could be purely fake. The difference is I'm trying to pass off my traditions as something its not; a proven varified koryu system.

As for all this talk of guiding philosophy; what philosophy? You haven't give me a philosophy to guide byu just claimed none exist. Your arguement is the pot calling the kettle black; the x-kan lineage has just as many holes Ashida Kim's. No one has proven Ashida Kim did not learn ninjutsu, yet they haven't disproven them either... lol

Takamatsu gets a free pass on unproven (disputed as imaginary) claims to fighting in death matchs in China but other can't..? Oh they have no proof so they must be lies even if they are unproven as lies. Basicly it comes down to this, the Bujinkan is seen as very influentual in the US, in Japan it gets laughed at. Here the lack of people who know better or lack have the means to research it; makes it perfect for the usual market politics.

Even you dearly quoted, Bugei Ryuha Daijiten states that Takamatsu made it based on childrens games he played as a kid and the person who wrote it had known him since childhood, so he would have known what Takamatsu was doing or if he had an uncle Toda.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, I thought we had moved past this. One more then?

Chris, here is the problem.
a) Takamatsu has no proof that Toda even existed and that kills the lineage of the 3 ninjutsu ryu-ha orgionally claimed as such by the Bujinkan.

Okay, to begin with, I have never disputed that there are issues with the various lineages. If I recall correctly, your first post in this thread referenced me saying just that. Just so you remember...

Well, it is rather difficult for Takamatsu Sensei to proove anything these days... but more to the point, it kills nothing. Except perhaps for you. But then again, I don't think it is really an issue you spend your nights awake thinking about, right? Essentially, all it does is say that there is doubt (in your mind, I believe I have mentioned claims of a grave being discovered?), perhaps some very serious doubt, but that is all. It in no way "kills" any chance of the systems' histories or veracities.

b) Yes, it is often quoted that Takamatsu's friend said he created the togakure ryu system from "childhood ninja games" what is often ignored is that the same Bugei Ryuha Daijiten refered to Toda as an "oral tradition." Meaning all we have is Takamatsu's word.

Out of the major editions, the phrase usually translated as "made out of childhood games" could also refer to such things as games used to teach him when he was young. In other words, what Takamatsu may have meant is that he was taught the arts, initially at least, in the form of games when he was a child (which does actually match his claims of his age when he learnt from Toda), and he later created the Densho (scrolls) from these early childhood exercises (games). This also matches the theory that the Togakure Ryu was not transmitted in any other form other than oral tradition until Takamatsu, who was the first to put them in scroll form.

When it comes to Gyokko Ryu, Koto Ryu, Gyokushin Ryu, Gikan Ryu, Kumogakure Ryu, and Shinden Fudo Ryu, the theory goes that the scrolls for these systems probably date from some time in the Edo Jidai, rather than from their claimed origin dates. This is fairly expected, and not unusual, by the way.

So you know, though, even highly respected systems such as Kashima Shinryu claim in their origin stories to be from the 9th Century, although it is far more likely that the accepted age of 19 generations, from the 16th Century. And that was an art with relative obscurity as well, until the last two generations (Kunii Zen'ya then Seki Humitake).

c) Toda Shinryuken Masamitsu who was allegedly Takamtsu's grandfather, uncle, friend of the family etc (the story changes depending on who tells it) was also supposed to be a "bone-setter" in Kobe. Problem is there are no records of Toda Shinryuken Masamitsu, in Kobe which was a large city at the time. So there should be a record of a bone-setter or a dojo of some kind. There isn't...

Most commonly Step-Grandfather, but as I said it could have just as likely been Toda Shinryuken's son, Takamatsu's Step-Uncle who did much of the teaching. As for the lack of a record, I wouldn't know where to start looking. Have you looked? Do you know the address his practice was supposed to be at? The exact dates it was there? I'm not sure you can find too many records of me and my place of business at this point in time, let alone anyone looking in a hundred years time. But, as I said, I am open to controversy in these issues. I was, after all, the first to bring them up in this thread.

d) Takamatsu's Chinese experiences are likewise based on his say so & Hatsumi at first told Don Draeger he was "reconstructing ninjutsu." But, he did go to China we just have his word for what he did there.

Takamatsu had a number of stories that I personally take with a grain of salt, and a number of them are from his time in China. But there are other aspects that you are not considering, we'll cover those in a bit.

I can go into deeper detail but facts are there are holes and you can spin however you like but their just isn't any proof. Now take Omoto-Ryu I can trace it back to 3 people past, 2 in Japan & 1 in the US. As far as know its a "reconstructed system" or it could be purely fake. The difference is I'm trying to pass off my traditions as something its not; a proven varified koryu system.

Oh, I'm sure you can go into more detail, as I am sure you know I can as well. And you are doing at least equal spinning to the Bujinkan lineage followers as well, I may add. As for proof, well, there are different ways to get to that. One is certainly names and dates, but remember that those can be faked, invented, embelished, etc, and such things are actually rather commonly done in Japanese martial arts. Many famous systems trace themselves back to famous warriors who could not have really been linked, or tengu, or add the famous names in their lineages. It may well be noted that the Togakure Ryu, for example, is rather odd for a "false" lineage in that it doesn't arbitrarely add famous members to add credence. That said, it is pretty well accepted that there is a certain amount of embelishment, or reconstruction, in the lists of Soke, particularly early in the list.

As to your Otomo Ryu, I would certainly tend towards the latter of your possible descriptions, for a number of reasons that we'll enter into a bit further down. And no, you're not claiming it as koryu, but that doesn't make the Bujinkan lineages not koryu either. Moral superiority really doesn't work here.

As for all this talk of guiding philosophy; what philosophy? You haven't give me a philosophy to guide byu just claimed none exist. Your arguement is the pot calling the kettle black; the x-kan lineage has just as many holes Ashida Kim's. No one has proven Ashida Kim did not learn ninjutsu, yet they haven't disproven them either... lol

Okay, I said we would get to the other methods of verification. One of which is what I have refered to as a guiding philosophy. And you're right, I haven't given you one. That's because I can't. There is no one philosophy that I can give to you, but a true, authentic martial system needs to have one as it's base.

But to give you an idea of what I am talking about, a guiding philosophy is can be spiritual, intellectual, physical, or more. It is defined by a number of things, including the cultural aspects of location, time, and society. So one way to tell if something is an authentic system is to first off see if it is completely consistent. And I have yet to see a "fake" ninjutsu (ninjitsu) system that is. It also needs to be able to demonstrate traits of it's origins, or demonstrate where it has altered and why. Again, not seen in the "fake" ones.

Each of the systems that have been passed down from Takamatsu are consistent in themselves. The Gyokko Ryu is consistent within itself, as is the Koto Ryu, the Shinden Fudo Ryu, and so on. The Togakure Ryu is no exception to this either. Its approach is consistent throughout the syllabus, in it's taijutsu, bikenjutsu, other weaponry, and other teachings. They all also fit the technical considerations you would expect to see in arts from the ages that they are. So from that standpoint, they pass. However, to really understand what it is that gives them consistency you would need to study them (train in them) seperately, as opposed to mixed together. But I'll give you an example, to assist.

The Togakure Ryu is said to have originated in the late 12th Century, coming from a variety of sources, including Togakure Yama Shugendo (still a practice today), Hakuun Ryu (no longer exists), and the training the young Daisuke Nishina had as warrior of the Minamoto. It wasn't until 2 generations later that the Ryu was officially founded, though, and by that time it had already started to change it's focus. It gradually became a less physical system, focusing more on the avoidance of violence than anything else. By the Sengoku Jidai, it was more a philosophical system (the way we may describe Aikido today), with it's entire syllabus reflecting that. Togakure Ryu kata have a very similar set of principles behind each and every one of them, and the reasons for the development of it's weaponry (shinobi gatana, shuko and ashiko, senban shuriken, and more) all match each other as well. It should be noted that the Kumogakure Ryu matches the Togakure Ryu quite well as well, given the theories that Kumogakure Ryu grew out of Togakure Ryu, so it's taijutsu and weaponry (kamayari, ippon sugi nobori etc) also match this idea. So there is a high degree of consistency here, as there is in the other systems (note, consistency in themselves, and similarities to related system, rather than just consistency within the Bujinkan). This is not seen in lesser systems. Your use of nunchaku would be an example of inconsistency, by the way, as well as other aspects.

Ashida Kim.... I wouldn't be bringing him in here. With the fraudbusting rules, I won't go into what I want to, but he has no traits at all of any form of legitimacy that I have seen (disclaimer provided there...).

Takamatsu gets a free pass on unproven (disputed as imaginary) claims to fighting in death matchs in China but other can't..? Oh they have no proof so they must be lies even if they are unproven as lies. Basicly it comes down to this, the Bujinkan is seen as very influentual in the US, in Japan it gets laughed at. Here the lack of people who know better or lack have the means to research it; makes it perfect for the usual market politics.

Takamatsu Sensei gets a "free pass", as you say, mainly because the arts stand up on a number of other levels, as I stated above.

Even you dearly quoted, Bugei Ryuha Daijiten states that Takamatsu made it based on childrens games he played as a kid and the person who wrote it had known him since childhood, so he would have known what Takamatsu was doing or if he had an uncle Toda.

Well, we covered the "childhood games" part above. And, yes, Watatani was a friend of Takamatsu's. If he was then putting together a list of the traditional martial systems of Japan, and chose to believe Takamatsu, fine. It may be noted that the BRDJ actually states that the lineage of Togakure Ryu at least is likely embelished at least. So I don't think he was really letting his personal friendship get too much in the way of his objectivity.

But really, the only people who could know for absolute positivity are Takamatsu (deceased), and Hatsumi (possibly), who doesn't seem to care much what people think. He is happy to pass on his personal views on budo, whether that is in the forms of individual ryu-ha or as a more amalgamated system, so I don't think we'll ever get a definate answer.

We can go back and forth like this for months, but frankly I think people will get bored. It's really just rehashing old ground that many others have done before us. Training in any art will require a certain amount of faith. Faith that your teacher is telling you the truth, faith that what he or she is teaching you is effective for the results you want, etc. So have faith in your teacher, your system, yourself, or don't. I have faith in my skills, whether they are from 1162 or 1935.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes..somewhere in the mountains of Japan they are still fighting it out with the long hidden Samurai clans.

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think most of them closed shop after Zartan killed off the Hard Master.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm an oldskool ninja clan.

Thats right... I am a WHOLE clan. All 47 of me.

blink13

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wait, was that the one headed by Oscar Schindler, or Qui-Gon Jinn? I forget.

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
The part that always puzzles me most is how eager people are about having whatever they do being recognized as ninjutsu (or even ninjitsu if they're not particularily picky about spelling).

I mean: what does it matter? I understand the fascination, but please, insisting you do something that belongs to an old tradition or is derived thereof but is in fact not based on actually lineage, but merely on "similarity of concept" is like claiming you're a Iroqui indian because you have interesting hair, ride on horseback without a saddle and have a knack for throwing hatchets (please don't fuss about whether or not iroqui threw hatchets or something, it's a metaphor, and no disrespect is intended at all).

Why oh why does it make people happy to pretend to be ninja? It's just a loose collection of ryuha that share a heritage and tend to be a little less conventional. But you can get unconventional in tradional Jujutsu just the same.

[rant]
ah anyway. I wouldn't really care to much if it weren't for the bad reputation them ninjerfetishists often give the arts. That's the irony. Traditional ninjutsu keiko is repetitive and takes an awful lot of repeating the same basic techniques. It doesn't get flashy or wild until after a good amount of time has passed, and by that time most will have dropped out. Ninjerskool (tm) seems to offer a much quicker path to flashy moves and swirling nunchucks, much to the delight of friends, innocent bystanders and the easily impressed.
[/rant]

Right, felt good getting that of my chest.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To the discussion of Draven and Chris.

I wanted to ask...
What is Ashida kim using to reconstruct his "omote ryu"?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reconstruct? I think you're being rather charitable....

There is no fraudbusting on MT, otherwise it would be rather easy to post clips from Ashida and point out every little thing that totally removes any aspect of authenticity whatsoever from the mind of someone watching (who understands what they are looking at).

But to put it simply, without getting too far into it, there is no basis whatsoever. There is nothing in anything he has ever shown that has any roots in Japanese martial traditions at all, and nothing that shows any actual basis in a true martial art. Just a note, this is not fraudbusting, as there could be things not shown, and what is put out there is an elaborate practical joke to hide his real system.... but I do doubt that.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reconstructing a dead ryuha, as a non Japanese person with no other experience in related traditional JMA, without any details, is like trying to reconstruct the potatoes from a bowl of mash, or reconstructing a steak from a portion of mince.

What is Ashida kim using to reconstruct his "omote ryu"?

His fantasy.
Even if he were to have the genuine scrolls, they are compeltely worthless without in-person instruction and the kuden (oral secrets).
For example, if I were to have a scroll that lists the 9th kyu techniques for Genbukan ninpo, I would see that to evade a certain swordcut, I use hicho sabaki, which translates roughly to the concept of a 'bird taking off for flight'. Uh... ok. Had I not seen it, I'd never be able to guess what that means. Or how about 'Itami Jime' which is an 8th kyu technique that translates to 'painful lock' (sorry for the rough translation. There might be a more accurate one).

Or how about a personal favorite of mine (not) 'oni kudaki' which can be translated in a couple of ways, but imo 'demonic destruction' is the most accurate one. Let's take the last one for example: suppose you find the omote ryu scroll and it mentions a technique named 'demonic destruction', how do you go about reconstructing it without any context to the name, without written details and without knowing when, where or how to apply it?

It would be like reconstructing daito ryu from aikido, without even having aikido to start with.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I can say on this topic due to the rules.

So I will just say that I am aware of Ashida Kim.
I just saw he said that he was reconstructing Omote Ryu.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,

The rules on fraudbusting are pretty simple. You can state facts. You can questions someone's credentials. But when you start hounding them around the forum, or demanding they justify themselves or prove their credentials -- that's when there's a problem. To help you out, here are the rules:

1.10.3 No Individual Bashing / Fraud Busting.

It is not our mission to out and expose frauds or decide who "sucks". Such discussions rarely lead anywhere other than to headaches, and lawsuits.

4.16.1 Fraud Busting

Due to its nature, this forum encourages the asking and answering of questions. Many times one member will have questions and concerns about the history, skills, lineage, or paperwork of another member. In other cases, things may be stated on a webpage, flyer or article relating to a member that raises some questions. Sometimes, comments will have been made elsewhere and those issues carried over to MartialTalk.

MartialTalk and its staff encourage the polite and professional search for knowledge. Questions and concerns may be brought up, with the understanding that the other party is under no requirement to answer.

Most questions may be raised within the forums dedicated to a particular art or area of interest. For example, Kenpo Lineage questions in the Kenpo forum, are fine. Others of a more serious note, are to be limited to the “The Great Debate” forum.

Excessive “Inquisitor-style" questioning is not allowed and will be subject to administrative action. If you have had to ask a question more than 3 times, you are most likely running the risk of “excessive’.

In addition, “Hot Pursuit” actions will not be tolerated. The “Hot Pursuit” is defined as asking the same or similar questions in multiple threads and / or forums.

Members who become ‘obsessed”, ‘inquisitors’ or ‘interrogators’ will be subject to administrative action. Members who are involved in excessive arguments that disrupt the forum, may be subject to administrative action due to the disruption of the normal operation of this forum

If you have any questions, you can always PM any senior moderator, super moderator, admin, or higher member of the staff.

I hope nobody feels like they're being chastised here. Instead, I hope that this gives you some guidance and lets you feel free to post what you'd like to.

Latest Discussions