Is it not a good idea to use boxing in a street fight situation do to the risk of breaking bones in

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They've helped me a lot. For one thing strengthening your wrist (which is very important), flattening your hand, and after zillions of them you get used to hard contact on your fist. Do them on wood or cement floor.....but I did a lot of things.

It's fairly lengthy process with 1 by lumber, ceramics like pots and saltillo tile. I did a lot of breaking, but was NOT trying to punch thru the target, but only slightly. I practices on painted cindar block walls and tilt wall to learn how to make heavy contact without damaging my hand. I also had to stop increasing the pressure at the right time. I was fortunate, I worked for for a company (at that specific time) that made ceramic transducers for missiles. Fairly large cylinders up to an inch thick. They had plenty of rejects I could use for breaking, inch thick pots are expensive. I hit flat mostly, but I'll roll my fist onto the first and second knuckles depending on what kind of damage I want to do. I did this in a four year period in the '70s and it's never caused me problems.

View attachment 23098

Before I hear it, no my hand's not flat. I'm trying to take a photo.
so they strenghen the wrist, ?? lots of exercises with a lot more additional benifits do that,

percusive exercise thickens bone, knuckles push ups or not particularly percussive, youd be better of playibg ping pong

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
so they strenghen the wrist, ?? lots of exercises with a lot more additional benifits do that,

percusive exercise thickens bone, knuckles push ups or not particularly percussive, youd be better of playibg ping pong

Please, tell us about the breaking techniques you've practiced. How far you got at it....

Put up a photo of your knuckles. We can all learn more.

knuckles-jpg.23098

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please, tell us about the breaking techniques you've practiced. How far you got at it....

Put up a photo of your knuckles. We can all learn more.
i dont do that either, its particularly stupid past time , i require my punch to KNOCK PEOPLE over, so i practise hitting things that have a passing resemblance to people', that doesnt really include bits of wood or pre weaken concrete.

ive yet to see a profesional boxer indulge in ego hiting of bearibg bits of wood

but back to your claim that knuckle push ups are all you need to strwnth your hands , perhaps you can expkain the biological process that makes it superior to say hitting a heavy bag,

that you did it in the 70s, doesnt count, lits of peopke did stupid things in the 70s, hell i had a pair of 6 in platform heels that i rode mororbikes in, i really wouldnt go in to print to recommend it

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I trained a lot different things, and I wanted to be able to break what I hit....and I have, in real fights. It didn't hurt my hand as I mentioned in the earlier post. I can still break what I want without damaging my hands. When your 140 lbs. and fighting typically bigger fellows sometimes you have to hurt them pretty badly, especially if they have friends near by.

...or somebody with a knife or gun, which I've had to face. I wasn't trying to knock them out, I hit them to main them for life. I trained to be able to, if necessary.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I trained a lot different things, and I wanted to be able to break what I hit....and I have, in real fights. It didn't hurt my hand as I mentioned in the earlier post. I can still break what I want without damaging my hands. When your 140 lbs. and fighting typically bigger fellows sometimes you have to hurt them pretty badly, especially if they have friends near by.
im still waiting for you to site the biology that knuckle push up are all you need to strengthen the bones in yoyr hand

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im still waiting for you to site the biology that knuckle push up are all you need to strengthen the bones in yoyr hand

I didn't say anywhere in my post they strengthened bone. It strengthens your overall hand and helped me, keep my wrist straight. I did mention those other things I did.

I did not end up with arthritis 40+ years later and can still hit solid objects very hard. As I said earlier, I didn't train to push very far thru things but instead, apply enough contact pressure to break my target.

I'm also not talking about a few knuckle push-ups, at the time I was doing 160 at a time, minimum 3 times per day. ....and I did them slower than anybody else, on cement, sidewalks mostly.

Last edited:

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my very first post I stated, "knuckle push-ups and punching technique.". In my second post I included some of the other training.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Load-bearing exercise also strengthens bone.
I don't know for sure how it compares to percussive exercises, but the good news is that you don't have to choose. You can do both.
Ping Pong is so fun. I played a lot of Ping Pong in Saudi Arabia. Not much else to do. I pretty much just read books, swam, and played ping pong when I was off duty. Got pretty good, though it's been almost exactly 30 years since I've played now.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ping Pong is so fun. I played a lot of Ping Pong in Saudi Arabia. Not much else to do. I pretty much just read books, swam, and played ping pong when I was off duty. Got pretty good, though it's been almost exactly 30 years since I've played now.

Have seen this, it was faked after his death, but very well done.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whoever made it did a nice job.
Yes they did but still the fact people genuinely think Bruce Lee could actually play ping pong with nunchucks...it shows how out of touch some Bruce Lee fans are..some like to claim he could literally beat 20 heavyweights at the same time lol

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes they did but still the fact people genuinely think Bruce Lee could actually play ping pong with nunchucks...it shows how out of touch some Bruce Lee fans are..some like to claim he could literally beat 20 heavyweights at the same time lol

Lee did some amazing things off the big screen, but movies and TV are just that... segments of perplanned illusion....like the one above.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lee did some amazing things off the big screen, but movies and TV are just that... segments of perplanned illusion....like the one above.
Never said he didn’t but the people saying nonsense about how he’d knock out heavyweight boxers And dominate mma heavyweight champions really does show peoples ignorance. It’s amusing as I’ve had a lot of abuse thrown at me for saying this on other pages. It’s funny lol

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Never said he didn’t but the people saying nonsense about how he’d knock out heavyweight boxers And dominate mma heavyweight champions really does show peoples ignorance. It’s amusing as I’ve had a lot of abuse thrown at me for saying this on other pages. It’s funny lol

Saw some interesting things in his early demonstrations, but he hurt his back in the middle of his movie career. Didn't live long enough to get over the back injury, if he could've. A back injury really limits what you can do. Except maybe in the imagination of movie goers.

I watched everything he did in the late 60s and early 70s and did what I could do to mimic it, but had an instuctor that convinced me to do things his way....but I never gave up my "strong-side forward" jab. I just added a lot of stuff to it.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
im quite good at ping pong, i just get it back over the net, something im good at and my oponent kkeeps hitting it harder and hard till they miss, im not sure ive ever played a winnibg shot

usless fact if the day, it was originally called whiff waff

Last edited:

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im quite good at ping pong, i just get it back over the net, something im good at and my oponent kkeeps hitting it harder and hard till they miss, im not sure ive ever played a winnibg shot

That does works well, unless you're playing somebody that's really, really good. ... don't run across pro-rated players often so getting it over the net well consitently, works. Most heavy hitters make mistakes. I haven't played in years tho...

Latest Discussions