Is It Just Me?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Buzz: This is no time to panic...
Woody: This is the perfect time to panic!

From the Movie "Toy Story"

Buried in a small article section in yesterday's paper here, and carried in relative obscurity on CNN Friday, one finds the story that members of foreign extremist groups have been applying to become school bus drivers in the USA. Apparently some have even bought busses. Alerts have gone out to police.

An FBI Spokesman concludes, ' There is no reason for any concern.'

Excuse me, but ........ What?!

The bus driver is al-Qeada, the bus monitor is Taliban, the dispatcher is Hezbollah, and the new tall princepal heading off for dialysis looks vaguely familiar....... but, what - me worry???

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it is just you. Or, I hope it is just you.

It would appear that you have purchased the 'fear' being sold by the Bush administration for the past 6 years.

People from other countries, coming to our country looking to find gainful employement. That is a good thing.

It used to be that people had a presumption of innocence. That we as a society did not prosecute until they actually did something wrong. I guess that went out with the bath water, right?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps if you posted a link to the story you're referring to, we'd have a better idea of what we're responding to.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
while i agree with Mr. Edward wholeheartedly about the merits of legal immigration/naturalization. i feel that "members of foreign extremist groups" are individuals that need red flags attached to them, not because theyre foreign but because of the nature, and potential of extremist groups.

i would also like a link to the article in question to see if it seems like a legitimate gripe, or if its just typical media fubar.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
members of foreign extremist groups

That's rather vague isn't it?

Which groups and where's the proof?

Would non-foreign extremist groups be a problem? Like some of the fundamentalist Christian groups? Or maybe a PETA member?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
while i agree with Mr. Edward wholeheartedly about the merits of legal immigration/naturalization. i feel that "members of foreign extremist groups" are individuals that need red flags attached to them, not because theyre foreign but because of the nature, and potential of extremist groups.

i would also like a link to the article in question to see if it seems like a legitimate gripe, or if its just typical media fubar.

And what is the stance you take toward domestic extremist organizations?
Should they be singled out too?
How do you define extremist?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for the sake of helping the conversation

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259168,00.html

WASHINGTON — The FBI has issued an "informational bulletin" to state and local officials saying to watch out for people tied to extremist groups trying to earn licenses to drive school buses.

The Associated Press reports that members of the unnamed extremist groups have succeeded in gaining the drivers licenses, but a Department of Homeland Security official told FOX News that "at this time there is no evidence that any of these individuals have got these jobs, or got hold of school buses."

"There is no plot. There is no threat. And parents and children can feel perfectly safe," FBI spokesman Richard Kolko told FOXNews.com.

The Department of Homeland Security official said the bulletin was sent to state and local law enforcement officials, and "some school districts have reported an increased number of foreign nationals seeking school bus driver positions and a number of other unusual events."

The official said that, out of an abundance of caution, FBI shared the information.

An unnamed counterterrorism official told The Associated Press that the bulletin — sent Friday to state and local law enforcement agencies — did not say how often foreign extremists attempted to get licenses or drive school buses, and did not specify where this might have happened.

The story continues at the link

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just for the sake of helping the conversation

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259168,00.html

The story continues at the link

The thing that stands out there, is anything in quotes, coming from a knowledgable person, is basically saying: "There is no plot. There is no threat. And parents and children can feel perfectly safe,"

The only places that there is hinting at a threat is FoxNews written, and not coming from the FBI or any other official source.

FoxNews, in this Canadians perspective, is about as trustworthy as the national enquirer from what I have seen.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But, wait... the statement that it isnt happening comes from our government, and if everything they tell us is a lie... than... is... wait...

Ow, my head hurts.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
And what is the stance you take toward domestic extremist organizations?
Should they be singled out too?
How do you define extremist?

i appologize for being vague in my previous post.
i singled out "members of foreign extremist groups" only because of the quote. i should have gone on to say that i consider anyone thats part of an extremist group to be viewed as potentially dangerous, again because of the nature, and potential of extremist groups.

i also asked for a link to the article in question, because quite frankly it doesnt specify whether its talking about members of groups that want to jihad the world away, or if its a group of people with an extremists view on school bus safety. :)

to define "extremist" in this context i would start with the definition from the
American Heritage Dictionary "One who advocates or resorts to measures beyond the norm" but i would amend it to include "use of violence" as mandatory to be considered an extremist, or extremist group. Well im sure id modify that definition, however i have a little headache and a lack of sleep, so maybe later.

OP
G

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, it is just you. Or, I hope it is just you.

It would appear that you have purchased the 'fear' being sold by the Bush administration for the past 6 years.

People from other countries, coming to our country looking to find gainful employement. That is a good thing.

It used to be that people had a presumption of innocence. That we as a society did not prosecute until they actually did something wrong. I guess that went out with the bath water, right?

Actually, I was pointing to the apparent absurdity of the Bush Administration in simultaneously telling us that foreign extremists are trying to get school bus licenses and that we have nothing to worry about.

Nowheres did I make any mention of prosecutions.... a fact easily verified. Nowhere did I advocate sanctions against legal immigrants. Please do not ascribe political beliefs or legal positions to me that I do not hold. It is a piece of intellectual dishonesty I am not willing to overlook.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i
to define "extremist" in this context i would start with the definition from the
American Heritage Dictionary "One who advocates or resorts to measures beyond the norm" but i would amend it to include "use of violence" as mandatory to be considered an extremist, or extremist group. Well im sure id modify that definition, however i have a little headache and a lack of sleep, so maybe later.

I am an athiest, so by the American Heritage Dictionary, I qualify, as that is 'beyond the norm'. And while, as a United States citizen, I am not an extremist, the United States is currently executing the 'use of violence' around the globe. So, as an Athiest of the United States, I am an extremist that belongs to a group that uses violence.

Oh, the dilemma.

OP
G

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's rather vague isn't it?

Which groups and where's the proof?

Would non-foreign extremist groups be a problem? Like some of the fundamentalist Christian groups? Or maybe a PETA member?

Ummmm, that's kind of what I was getting at.

This story shows up buried in the middle pages of our paper without anything else. Those are indeed questions that parents - we have 4 children - would like the details on!

We get 2000 hours of coverage on Anna Nicole Smith... and a story like this gets buried without details provided!

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People probably would have poo-poohed the gvt telling us to be on the lookout for middle eastern men trying to learn to fly commercial airliners in 1999 to. Eh.

Unless it was B. Clinton Id wager.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, I was pointing to the apparent absurdity of the Bush Administration in simultaneously telling us that foreign extremists are trying to get school bus licenses and that we have nothing to worry about.

Nowheres did I make any mention of prosecutions.... a fact easily verified. Nowhere did I advocate sanctions against legal immigrants. Please do not ascribe political beliefs or legal positions to me that I do not hold. It is a piece of intellectual dishonesty I am not willing to overlook.

Forgive me for misunderstanding your post.

I did not see your assault on the Bush Administration in your post. Your exclaimation of indignation when the law enforcement officials tell us there is no need to be concerned, did not, to me appear as a cry against the Bush administration. As I recall, and re-read, you make no mention of the Bush administration in your post.

How did you put it ..

An FBI Spokesman concludes, ' There is no reason for any concern.'
Excuse me, but ........ What?!

The bus driver is al-Qeada, the bus monitor is Taliban, the dispatcher is Hezbollah, and the new tall princepal heading off for dialysis looks vaguely familiar....... but, what - me worry???

So, you are attributing foreigners to being members of al Qaeda, the Taliban, and Hezbollah. So, are you going to provide any evidence to this assertion?

or, am I again, mis-reading what you said.

OP
G

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing that stands out there, is anything in quotes, coming from a knowledgable person, is basically saying: "There is no plot. There is no threat. And parents and children can feel perfectly safe,"

The only places that there is hinting at a threat is FoxNews written, and not coming from the FBI or any other official source.

FoxNews, in this Canadians perspective, is about as trustworthy as the national enquirer from what I have seen.

Okay...... and I do not feel "perfectly safe" knowing that 5+ years post 9/11 these creatures are possibly still getting into the country and that they are apparently trying to get near our children.

This is the story that gets a blurb in the back pages? Why aren't we given enough information to make an informed decision?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is nothing of the sort in that story. It merely states that the FBI has issued a informational bulletin to watch out for them. No where does it say that any Al Quieda members have tried to get at your kids.

If I say, "Watch out for the Boogey Man", that does not mean the Boogey man has actually tried to get anyone.

OP
G

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forgive me for misunderstanding your post.

I did not see your assault on the Bush Administration in your post. Your exclaimation of indignation when the law enforcement officials tell us there is no need to be concerned, did not, to me appear as a cry against the Bush administration. As I recall, and re-read, you make no mention of the Bush administration in your post.

How did you put it ..

[/size][/size]

So, you are attributing foreigners to being members of al Qaeda, the Taliban, and Hezbollah. So, are you going to provide any evidence to this assertion?

or, am I again, mis-reading what you said.

Excuse me, but what is the only administration we have that is currently in power? What other administration would there be putting out this apparent contradiction?

The "foreign" reference was contained in the original pathetic blurb of a story. I'm thinking that if you require evidence of foreigners being in the above groups, further discourse between us is likely to prove unproductive.

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
**Serious mode off**

Hey you all didnt notice but I am a Dutch extremist. Before you know it, we dutch people have taken over and you will all be eating cheese and walking on wooden shoes!! :D

**Serious mode on**

I dont think it is good to worry about it to much. Not every immigrant is an extremist. It would be bad if everybody does worry as no immigrant will find a job and new extremist groups will come or grow bigger(KKK). Beside of that, the extremists will only get what they want, chaos and disturbance in the country.

Latest Discussions