Is it just me…

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm the same way, and I've found that's often what gets shady people following me in the first place for some reason...Maybe it makes you look more vulnerable somehow, even though that's kind of counter-intuitive. Still, I'd rather have someone following me while I'm aware of it than end up having something really bad happen if I'm taken by surprise.

It's a fine line to be aware of your surroundings and just looking nervous all the time. It does sometimes send a signal that draws attention. I've found if I have somehow caught someone's attention, just looking directly at them for a bit before letting my gaze continue to scan (never looking down and away) or even a quick head nod to say "hi" as I look at them instantly makes them very uninterested in me again.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I dislike being in crowds as well. If I can, I maneuver myself into a position where I am against a wall. If I'm in a restaurant, I try to sit so that my back is not to the door. I don't get to do that much any more, because I have taught SWMBO well and she wants that position now. :)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep I used to dislike crowds and people walking behind me a lot. Now I just view those situations as practice. If I am uncomfortable with someone behind I will often pretend to look for something in my pocket and stop to let them past me.

Elbowgrease

Green Belt
Reaction score
Being followed I'm not into, and I'll actively confront the person following me. Having someone walking behind me, driving behind me, etc. doesn't bother me the way it used to. There is a big difference though, and I think I can usually feel it. I don't really have a problem with crowds, but people really get the wrong idea about me. When they get uncomfortable, then I start to get uncomfortable. I really don't know why, but people think I'm intimidating. Most of the few people I know tell me there first impression was intimidated (threatening, rough...), or that people they know mention that they find me intimidating. I really don't understand why people think that. I'm not a big guy, not even if you stretch your imagination a lot. But I've had guys probably double my weight and a full head taller than me tell me I'm a big scary looking guy. So what's up with that? On the plus side, people might think awful hard before they decide to follow me.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have to do foot patrol for an hour a day at work. So when I'm walking in a busy area like a shopping center and someone is behind me I like to turn around real fast and ask "why are you following me" the looks I get from people when a uniformed police officer does that to them is great.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can relate. My heart rate almost always increases when I feel someone walking close behind me, or I see people running up to me (or in my general direction) from behind.

Glad to know it's not just me going off the deep end. Cheers.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does that make me a member of an exclusive club? I've got one on my key ring too. :)

Me too.

As far as the OP I hate being in crowds and definitely don't like people behind me (even at a distance). My wife really dislikes it when I go shopping with her.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It does not freak me out as such but I do try to be aware of anyone(s) following me, either walking or in the car. And in the right, or wrong, environment, it can be cause for concern or, should I say, heightened awareness and readiness. As others, I use devices and the environment to determine how close someone following me is, from footfalls, to keeping an eye on the reflection in house/car/store windows. At night and depending on their placement and angle, street lighting can also be good for gauging if someone is closing in on you by the closeness of their shadow without you having to fervently rubber-neck all the time.

Now and then when walking I have simply gone to the side of the foot path and pulled out my phone for a fake call to let such and such go by. I am more concerned about someone I have cause for concern over following me and so learning my home or work address rather than just being followed in itself. You can pretend to txt or call but a fake call is better as it is quite natural to look about while on a call and you don't need to look at the phone and be distracted while fake-txting. This is of course for the situation where you are more concerned at simply having someone on your back so that the odds are in their favour rather than that person catching up to you (ie if you are a female or smaller chap and there is some lumbering Godzilla dude on your heels that you don't necessarily want to have to confront).

Crowds as such do not bother me at all, such as at a sports event or concert or even a particularly busy street. It's always good of course to monitor the pulse and vibe of a crowd so you know if things are going to kick off. However, I may be naïve but I think the chance of having some random stranger slip a stiletto into your back while in a crowd is pretty damn rare and much rarer than you being jumped in some back alley or dark street while on your own. I'm more concerned then about a bit of opportunistic pick-pocketing and generally transfer my wallet to my front pocket or into my inside jacket pocket.

Stay safe out there.

Last edited: