Is bjj original

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Look inwards or get baseballs bats and attack the wrestler who beat you from behind 3 against one. Even though he fought with all the rules you put in place to give yourself an advantage, very honourable
???

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I also think that Judo is not that popular in comparison to BJJ is b/c of the constant impact of getting thrown. I don't like it. I'll train it once in a while, but it's not fun to get thrown all day even w/good break falling.
One thing I want to say, the Judo break fall is very important to learn, not for fighting, but for daily life particular when someone is getting older.

I can talk about myself. It likely saved my life. In the mid 90s, long time after I stop judo already. I was loading something on a big truck at work, I want to jump down by holding a rope. I misjudged the height, I jumped, the rope was too short and got to the end of the length of the rope when I was still in mid air. I swung back in mid air and hit the side of the truck. I let go and fell the the ground and land on my back. My natural respond was tuck my head in and slapped the ground. I could feel my hair touched the ground, but my head did not.

I was bruised, I hit my rips really back when I swung back to the side of the truck, but I was ok. I was injured more hitting the side of the truck than the fall. Only thing I ruin was my watch when I slapped the ground. It was concrete road!!! But I survived, Just couldn't laugh for like two weeks because of the ribs.

I still practicing breakfall every week by lying on the garage floor, lift my leg back and bounce the body up by flipping the legs back and stick on the floor to lift the body off the ground, then drop down and break the fall. This will shake up the whole body to get use to the fall.

Now, I am only talking about myself, not telling people to do it. People better think twice before trying that. I am not encourage people to do this. I just say this is what I do every week!!!

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bjj vs judo on a mat, different from in the street, I’d rather have judo, also did you see the video of Rhonda rousey in a bjj tournament, took her 5 seconds to wipe her opponent out

Rousey trains a lot of BJJ under the Gracies. And who was that opponent? Exactly, some unknown, mousey little Asian girl that looked like a White belt. Where are the rest of that day's matches? That meant she probably lost later & went home. And that was in a High School gym; so not at the higher levels.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Bubushi is probably the best example of an Asian system for categorizing ancient grappling techniques, its contents informed everything from Karate, Judo, etc.

There are so many modern versions, but in most cases I've seen the illustrations fit what modern people call grapplin'.

As far as those guards you mentioned, like most people say nothing new under the sun. They're not inventions, but someone in BJJ was smart enough to label them with names and teach them, for certain situations.

Let's face it, some of the BJJ guards would never be a good idea off a training mat. Some positions are only useful in a non-striking competitive environment.

View attachment 28892

View attachment 28891
View attachment 28893

LOL, you posted 4 pics that has nothing to do with with the X-guard, Rubber-guard, De La Riva-guard, Iminari roll, Berimbolo in trying to prove your point that they did.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL, you posted 4 pics that has nothing to do with with the X-guard, Rubber-guard, De La Riva-guard, Iminari roll, Berimbolo in trying to prove your point that they did.
In response to your question about old manuals showing grappling techniques. What's so funny?

You also claimed those 4 things were "crazy BJJ moves". They're really basic stuff, dude. It's not like humans just figured out ground combat recently.

You should really check out the manual. 10,000 pages in it's native language and lots of illustrations of standing and ground combat styles. The weapons schematics are the coolest!

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even with Ryan Hall, it's kind of different so he technically can call his the Hall Roll or something. Because if some guy claims that he invented a new BJJ move, there will be people challenging him if it already existed; esp. from the Catch Wrestling community.
You basically just said the same thing I did. A rose by any other name.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agree ..it's like the BJJ community think they're so advanced.
Right?

This is advanced. You've got a massive crossbow, what do you need? A table mount. 17th century.

They should call this one "Crossbow Beer Pong X-Guard".

1663396855876.png

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not even scratching the surface of judo
I have eyes, I saw how advanced belts fight.

How come people keep thinking just because one have not train that long don't know how to understand the technique? This is NOT rocket science, just simple physics and common sense. Is that a technique to shut up people that doesn't agree ?

You think this is still in the last century? You look at the video and analyze it. There is NO MYSTERY. Ha ha, don't tell the next thing you say is I don't have the knowledge to understand even watching the video. Good thing is video is honest, it shows who's kicking butt and who's butt being kicked.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

How come people keep thinking just because one have not train that long don't know how to understand the technique? This is NOT rocket science, just simple physics and common sense. Is that a technique to shut up people that doesn't agree ?

You think this is still in the last century? You look at the video and analyze it. There is NO MYSTERY. Ha ha, don't tell the next thing you say is I don't have the knowledge to understand even watching the video. Good thing is video is honest, it shows who's kicking butt and who's butt being kicked.
Calm down will ya...

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
So back when the gracies were starting out and promoting bjj a european wrestler challenged them. They put so many rules in place to give them an advantage like wearing a gi and not allowing him to use his best moves, he still won easy. People started saying that his style was better so 3 of them attacked from behind at night with baseball bats and put the guy in a wheelchair. Bjj is good but no here has proved that any of it is original. Or that they hold a moral high ground in the way the conduct themselves

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score

Lots of ytube vids showing judo beating bjj, and bjj beating judo, and mauy Thai beating bjj and tkd beating mauy Thai. That comes down to the fighter, but to say judo is simple, not true bro. My sons been doing it for 9 years, he’s about 6 inch taller and 30 kilo heavier than his fame coach and she ragdolls him so easy it’s embarrassing. It’s a skill that gets better with practice.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lots of ytube vids showing judo beating bjj, and bjj beating judo, and mauy Thai beating bjj and tkd beating mauy Thai. That comes down to the fighter, but to say judo is simple, not true bro. My sons been doing it for 9 years, he’s about 6 inch taller and 30 kilo heavier than his fame coach and she ragdolls him so easy it’s embarrassing. It’s a skill that gets better with practice.
I only watch UFC and Bellator(spelling) to judge. At least Gracie kicked butt at the beginning. Then people learn. It's like a game of chest, one comes up, people learn how to solve the puzzle, then it's up to someone else to solve the puzzle and win.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I only watch UFC and Bellator(spelling) to judge. At least Gracie kicked butt at the beginning. Then people learn. It's like a game of chest, one comes up, people learn how to solve the puzzle, then it's up to someone else to solve the puzzle and win.
The Gracie Gods have been beaten.
Please stop it Alan it's getting embarrassing

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So back when the gracies were starting out and promoting bjj a european wrestler challenged them. They put so many rules in place to give them an advantage like wearing a gi and not allowing him to use his best moves, he still won easy. People started saying that his style was better so 3 of them attacked from behind at night with baseball bats and put the guy in a wheelchair. Bjj is good but no here has proved that any of it is original. Or that they hold a moral high ground in the way the conduct themselves
Wrestling is very effective as seen in UFC, no argument about that. I did not say BJJ is original, we already established that by Tony already. The early UFC pretty much dominated by BJJ and wrestling. those striking MA just could not defend the take down in the early stage. Then people solve the puzzle and become MMA combining striking and grappling. There is no one art that can dominate anymore, people have to learn different style to be a complete fighter.

Last edited:

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Gracie Gods have been beaten.
Please stop it Alan it's getting embarrassing
This thread is about BJJ. Royce Gracie was creamed by Matt Huges long time ago. Now, it's MMA that's the most advance, combine BJJ, Wrestling, Muy Thai. Just BJJ alone won't do it. And Yes, I would learn BJJ any time of the day over TMA because my back ground is TKD and Kick Boxing, mainly striking type. I wish I learn BJJ so I can be all around. I just never seen much Judo in the mix.

Latest Discussions