Is bjj original

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many bjj techniques are invented by bjj, as far as I know they are all just judo groundwork technique with a different name, have they actually created anything for themselves,

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I even think sprawling with the crossface and overhook is a fairly new technique

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
I even think sprawling with the crossface and overhook is a fairly new technique
Thanks I was asking cause my son’s done judo since he was 4, there’s a bjj club near me and I was wondering about sending him for the groundwork aspect. Wasn’t sure cause his judo club does groundwork almost every night. I was wondering what sort of percentage of techniques were original to bjj, do you think like 10%

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many bjj techniques are invented by bjj, as far as I know they are all just judo groundwork technique with a different name, have they actually created anything for themselves,
It started with mostly (perhaps all) Judo techniques. Over time, it has incorporated moves from other systems, and has created some that I'm not aware of existing elsewhere (like some of the guards).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I was asking cause my son’s done judo since he was 4, there’s a bjj club near me and I was wondering about sending him for the groundwork aspect. Wasn’t sure cause his judo club does groundwork almost every night. I was wondering what sort of percentage of techniques were original to bjj, do you think like 10%
Whether it's mostly new material or not really shouldn't be the primary consideration. Will he have fun and learn? Even if they use the same techniques, it's my experience that BJJ approaches both the learning process and the techniques differently than Judo typically does.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
It started with mostly (perhaps all) Judo techniques. Over time, it has incorporated moves from other systems, and has created some that I'm not aware of existing elsewhere (like some of the guards).
Thanks

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That's easy. Send your son to an open mat. And see if he is getting manhandled on the ground. If he does. Send him to that class.

Then do MMA

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Judo and by default some schools of japanese jujitsu are definitely the root and technique framework that make up BJJ. But BJJ and submission ground fighting in general has went through a "space race" level advancement in the last 20 years.

The level of invention and inovative advancements has been unbelievable. While I'm a fan of Judo and have done it for many years, it didn't advance much in this time.

With that said many times what ultimately wins in ground fighting is solid basics that have existed for a very long time in the Japanese systems.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What are your son's goals? What are you hoping he will get out of BJJ that he doesn't have already in the Judo class?

BJJ will certainly focus on the ground more. If he really likes fighting on the ground (or really sucks at it and wants more reps) then BJJ will really help. If he likes Judo, but is a little burnt out and wants a bit of a change, then BJJ will certainly help. Or if he has friends in the BJJ class, if it's an opportunity to work with someone very reputable, or just he wants to do BJJ.

However, if he's enjoying Judo, and he wants to continue to improve at Judo, then Judo is the best thing for him. And if he wants to be a more well-rounded martial artist, then you may want to look into striking classes instead.

Then you need to read some old manuals. Those techniques are documented going back to way before bjj or even judo.
There's a concept in biology called "convergent evolution", which is when similar organisms develop similar traits without being related. It could be something they invented, even though it was already invented, because it's not something commonly known anymore.

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
Then you need to read some old manuals. Those techniques are documented going back to way before bjj or even judo.
Interesting, so how much do you think is original in bjj, I always wondered cause the Japanese groundwork history goes back hundreds of years, if not longer, what percentage of bjj is bjj and not just judo groundwork. People might be angry at me but from what I know of the gracies they were not the most honourable guys, perhaps there are new techniques now but I’m pretty sure for a long time it was just judo groundwork with a new name. Bit like taking a bmw and sticking a Audi badge on it. It’s still a bmw.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
BJJ came from judo so there is a lot of cross over in terms of fundamentals
However, BJJ has
a) incorporated techniques from other systems, most notably wrestling takedowns
b) had a prolonged period of focusing on groundwork meaning it has a much deeper understanding of it vs judo, and
c) innovated considerably in no gi grappling
In my experience a good judoka will be able to hold their own with a blue belt BJJ (on a like for like basis) in the gi, but this is not the case in no gi

OP
G

gerardfoy50

Green Belt
Reaction score
BJJ came from judo so there is a lot of cross over in terms of fundamentals
However, BJJ has
a) incorporated techniques from other systems, most notably wrestling takedowns
b) had a prolonged period of focusing on groundwork meaning it has a much deeper understanding of it vs judo, and
c) innovated considerably in no gi grappling
In my experience a good judoka will be able to hold their own with a blue belt BJJ (on a like for like basis) in the gi, but this is not the case in no gi
So nothing new then, just taken judo and wrestling and spent a long time on them, is their anything original or inventive that they have done.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that the most original aspect of BJJ is the open guard. Some open guards such as Ashi Garami are derived from older Japanese techniques, but if you take the more modern guards and even some that are, in this day and age seen as old school, you'll find some originals - De La Riva, Worm, Spider, Mantis, De La X and Lasso are just some of them.

The great thing about BJJ is that it's not complete and most likely never will be. There are so many new techniques and open guards that have popped up in just the last two decades such as the Ham Sandwich, The Truck, Banana Splits and Aoki Locks, to name some, although do correct me if they are older.

Also, I think Berimbolos and Inversions, are a pretty new thing in jiujitsu too.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
So nothing new then, just taken judo and wrestling and spent a long time on them, is their anything original or inventive that they have done.
Re-emphasising this sentence in my post
“innovated considerably in no gi grappling”