Is ball of the foot roundhouse outdated with modern shoes?

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So I have a hypothesis on where the 45 degrees comes from. I may be completely wrong but here me out; If you are in a traditional TKD back stance for your fighting stance and you do a round kick with the lead leg then the back foot may only have to rotate 45 degrees. Your back foot would be 90 degrees relative to your front foot and another 45 degree rotation from that point would allow you enough rotation to kick moderately high and strong with the lead leg. Just a thought.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a problem here with discussing the 45 degree angle for the ITF / Chang Ho "Turning kick" vs the ITF / Chang Hon "side turning kick" This is explained as follows:

The side turning kick is the typical roundhouse kick where if you are at the center of the clock dial the target is at 12:00 with the person say in a sideways (more or les stance) that is NOT the "Turning kick" with 45 degree support foot turn stipulation.
If you start in the same position right foot back and then lets say there is a line thru 12 O'clock parallel to a line thru 3-9 and intersecting with that line at 90 degrees is a line thru 2-4 at the point of intersection is a person standing with shoulders in line with the line thru 12 parallel to the 3-9 line that position is referred to as the "Side front" The turning kick to that target is where the support foot has a stipulated 45 degree angle. There is a pattern where the target is directly ahead and you step with your left foot to the left to align the turning kick with this target.
The "Side turning" has you turn more "Sideways" . I know, perhaps terminology could have been better.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
@Earl Weiss With regards to my reverse hook kick inquiry...There appears to be an inconsistency within the ITF whether to chamber these or not in forms.

It is always chambered in competitions but lots of schools posting patterns online do it stiff legged, like the first version, and then rechamber.

Are the exact parameters for competition patterns outlined somewhere?

Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Then we have guys who chamber when they are supposed to do it straight legged version... So the other way around...

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Earl Weiss With regards to my reverse hook kick inquiry...There appears to be an inconsistency within the ITF whether to chamber these or not in forms.

It is always chambered in competitions but lots of schools posting patterns online do it stiff legged, like the first version, and then rechamber.

Are the exact parameters for competition patterns outlined somewhere?
The video you linked at post 199 is no longer available.

Technical parameters are contained in the text and inconsistencies need to be addressed. (Such as photo angle of foot not matching text) " Reverse hooking Kick - Basic Principles ....2. Bend the kicking leg properly during the kick" No specification as to what degree of "bend" for a chamber is specified. "Reverse Turning Kick... Keep the Kicking leg straight always. " As to what some people do in competition does not make it correct. That is why some score higher than others.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
The video you linked at post 199 is no longer available.

Bend the kicking leg properly during the kick" No specification as to what degree of "bend"
"During the kick"could mean when the leg hooks, or it could mean when the leg chambers and then hooks. No way of knowing which of the two it refers to

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
"During the kick"could mean when the leg hooks, or it could mean when the leg chambers and then hooks. No way of knowing which of the two it refers to
True, that is why the text is not meant to be a substitute for an instructor. Extremely hard, especially in pre digital photography times for a 2 dimensional medium to show and explain 3 dimensional action. Back in the 970's we were totally confused by text depictions of hooking kick in Ko Dang and in the 980's by the Pick shape kick in Ju Che. Once actually seen the confusion evaporated.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
True, that is why the text is not meant to be a substitute for an instructor. Extremely hard, especially in pre digital photography times for a 2 dimensional medium to show and explain 3 dimensional action. Back in the 970's we were totally confused by text depictions of hooking kick in Ko Dang and in the 980's by the Pick shape kick in Ju Che. Once actually seen the confusion evaporated.

That's why I ask if the parameters are listed elsewhere specifically for forms competition.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
True, that is why the text is not meant to be a substitute for an instructor.

That's circular reasoning. The instructor needs an authority to know himself what he teaches is correct. And he can't get it from his instructor since that instructor has the same issue with his instructor.

Tman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting - Still says "Video not available" for me. In any event the Yon Gae Video you posted has what I consider to be an accurate depiction of reverse Hooking Kick" in the pattern.
If you try viewing it on the YouTube site it is marked private.

Tman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's circular reasoning. The instructor needs an authority to know himself what he teaches is correct. And he can't get it from his instructor since that instructor has the same issue with his instructor.
Usually you ask your instructor for guidance. If there is disagreement on a proper technique then a group of Masters will be gathered to make a decision on what is correct.

The way I have been taught to throw a reverse hook or any hook kick, is to think of it as a side kick that hooks. You chamber like side kick extend you kick to the side of the target then hook the target. You can chamber into a round kick and follow up with that. Hook kick into round kick is a great combo.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Usually you ask your instructor for guidance. If there is disagreement on a proper technique then a group of Masters will be gathered to make a decision on what is correct.

The way I have been taught to throw a reverse hook or any hook kick, is to think of it as a side kick that hooks. You chamber like side kick extend you kick to the side of the target then hook the target. You can chamber into a round kick and follow up with that. Hook kick into round kick is a great combo.

This is not about what you do or what your instructor says. There are two reverse roundhouse kicks in TaeKwonDo, one is chambered, one isn't.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is the non chambered. However, some people do no chamber for the hooking version as well. And some chamber for the version below

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It works for me
I just checked, and getting the video not available as well. Not sure what the video is, so not sure how relevant/important it is, just thought I'd let you know a 3rd person can't access. Could it be some sort of country restriction the video poster and/or youtube added?

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just checked, and getting the video not available as well. Not sure what the video is, so not sure how relevant/important it is, just thought I'd let you know a 3rd person can't access. Could it be some sort of country restriction the video poster and/or youtube added?
Yes it must be a country restriction.

Latest Discussions