Is ball of the foot roundhouse outdated with modern shoes?

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't believe I said that. I do know that you claim ITF training while while displaying nothing but ignorance and disrespect.

I call a spade a spade. If that's disrespectful then so be it. Would you list a parameter of 45 degree pivot to a technique, yet select an 180 degree pivot as your big picture illustration next to it?

Probably not, right?

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do know that you claim ITF training while while displaying nothing but ignorance and disrespect.

I do TaeKwonDo, period. I don't subscribe to tribalism. There are bigger differences between practitioners than styles.

The current example of an ITF practitioner doing a KKW 180 degree turning kick pivot is case in point.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
No mistake. Choi uses as his main picture a 180 degree pivot, instead of 45, cause he's clueless.
Interesting that you would use the "Clueless" term since I was thinking the same as you. Perhaps you would care to share the texts or articles you have written since I would have used the same term about someone who thinks they can learn MA from a book.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
What kind of language is that? It either is or isn't out of position.
It's a nice way of saying - Photos aren't necessarily correct. It's no secret the text, especially the earlier ones had lots of wrong pictures. and other mistakes. Some were corrected in later editions and there were "Technical correction" bulletins issued by the ITF before it imploded. Other errors were addressed at courses but never made it into print in later editions. digital photography makes things easier nowadays.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a nice way of saying - Photos aren't necessarily correct. It's no secret the text, especially the earlier ones had lots of wrong pictures..

87 is not exactly the first edition and the Chang Hon system never had formal 180 degree turning kicks. Old or new pictures has no bearing on this.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a nice way of saying - Photos aren't necessarily correct. It's no secret the text, especially the earlier ones had lots of wrong pictures. and other mistakes. Some were corrected in later editions and there were "Technical correction" bulletins issued by the ITF before it imploded. Other errors were addressed at courses but never made it into print in later editions. digital photography makes things easier nowadays.

Very poor wording in that case. "May appear wrong" and "May be wrong" are two different things.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
87 is not exactly the first edition and the Chang Hon system never had formal 180 degree turning kicks. Old or new pictures has no bearing on this.
1983 was the first edition. As I said "Some" errors and photos were corrected in later editions. Some were corrected throught Technical correction bulletins and some were never corrected. So, once again your point seems meaningless.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
1983 was the first edition. As I said "Some" errors and photos were corrected in later editions. Some were corrected throught Technical correction bulletins and some were never corrected. So, once again your point seems meaningless.

The date of the picture is irrelevant and I already explained to you why.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The date of the picture is irrelevant and I already explained to you why.
I already explained to you why it's unimportant and you are about 20 years late in your comments. First and foremost based upon photos you posted of yourself it's likely you never experienced the days before electronic word processing and digital photography so you have no concept of the enormity of the task to produce the 15 Volume encyclopedia. Next, those who are familiar with the encyclopedia have long been aware of dozens if not hundreds of inconsistencies and errors, but it's "News to you." There are processes in place to deal with those issues. When General Choi was alive it was simpler. You could simply ask if it was an error he would simply say "Book Wrong". Sometimes this was followed by Technical correction bulletins and / or revisions in later editions. Sometimes that never happened.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I already explained to you why it's unimportant and you are about 20 years late in your comments. First and foremost based upon photos you posted of yourself it's likely you never experienced the days before electronic word processing and digital photography so you have no concept of the enormity of the task to produce the 15 Volume encyclopedia. Next, those who are familiar with the encyclopedia have long been aware of dozens if not hundreds of inconsistencies and errors, but it's "News to you." There are processes in place to deal with those issues. When General Choi was alive it was simpler. You could simply ask if it was an error he would simply say "Book Wrong". Sometimes this was followed by Technical correction bulletins and / or revisions in later editions. Sometimes that never happened.

I'm a simpleton who browsed through the book and I noticed it. He's the "founder" and either failed to notice it or was clueless.

The difference between 45 and 180 is not exactly subtle.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Btw @Earl Weiss Why is there no chamber in the hooking version of the reverse turning kick in the 87 encyclopedia picture illustration? And no mention of it in the description either

Isn't that an error too?

Last edited:
OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is version A with no chamber and no hooking.

Because we've only kicked shields, my ITF school never drilled the hooking version (and the pattern(s) using it aren't trained because we had a mixed group and that pattern was high Dan .

So is chamber optional for the hook version or is it a demand if you compete in forms?

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Btw @Earl Weiss Why is there no chamber in the hooking version of the reverse turning kick in the 87 encyclopedia picture illustration? And no mention of it in the description either

Isn't that an error too?
If the text was meant to be instructional it might be considered an omission. However, since not intended as such it is not an error. Not every step of the kicks are shown or explained.

Latest Discussions