IRO-Bot will never kill...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am another Utahn, living in Lehi. I study American Kenpo and DanZan Ryu Jujitsu. Keep your eyes, ears, and heart open. If you feel you need to go elsewhere to continue your martial arts journey, then do so. It doesn't mean you have to cut your ties with the friendships you developed.

- Ceicei

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey Doug, glad to hear you got the instructor thing worked out. Like you though I have an interest in Kara-Ho.

OP
IRO-Bot

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm thinking of looking up Shihan Hayes since Ogden is closer to where I live.

I'm looking forward to having a chance to meet Shihan Mendoza, even if it's not to train with him right off. I'd love to meet him and get a feel for him and his art.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Me to, I'm looking forward to meeting them both. Though I have to admit I do like training with Scott, he is a good teacher.

OP
IRO-Bot

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Me to, I'm looking forward to meeting them both. Though I have to admit I do like training with Scott, he is a good teacher.

Mr. Benedict is a great guy and a good instructor from what I can tell. I've met him on a number of occasions. At my Tiger Test and at a mini-tournament that we held at the Bountiful Dojo not long ago, followed by a double-priced screening of Jet Li's Fearless at a piece-of-crap theatre. That was fun... I was an orange belt and won in my "division" in forms. I got a poster, a flip-book and... a pog? Some useless junk that deffinately wasn't worth the $25 price tag on the whole deal (movie included, we were led to believe there would be t-shirts! But I digress.)
You're lucky that you train under Sensei Scott. He's one of the few remaining honest, decent instructors in Utah USSD. Most of them these days are still red belts... but oh well.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Trust me I know, at the last tournament I noticed that there are only 4 people above 1st dan, Master Cliegg, Joe Perry, some guy who's a 2nd dan and that's it. I'm lucky to have an instructor who's at least a black belt.

OP
IRO-Bot

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you talking about this most recent one in October? There were plenty of 2nd Dans there. Master Clegg and Mr. Perry, of course. There's also Mr. Garvey, Mr. Martin, Sensei Gao (his name is long and complicated, I just refer to him how my instructor does), there were a couple of 2nd degree students as well. My instructor, Ryan, is a 2nd as well. There aren't many above 2nd, though.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mariachi Joe- It is "Shihan Mendoza" and "Sensei Jeff Hayes". You might contact Sensei Jeff as he was my USSD instructor many years ago, and is now a 3rd dan in Kara-Ho. You would have a bit in common it would seem...

If either of you have any questions please feel free to ask! Also if you search under "kara-Ho" or "Kuoha" you will get a LOT of posts by our Grandmaster Kuoha, who has posted a bit on here..

No matter what you decide, good luck and keep us all posted!

OP
IRO-Bot

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I recieved an email from Shihan Mendoza. He says that with his medical practice he's very busy right now and only does black belt private lessons. He suggested that I contact Sensei Hayes, so I'll probably do that. Of course, he's clear up in Ogden, which is quite a ways... But oh well.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I haven't tried to contact anyone yet since I still have another year at ussd. I just did the snake test and was kind of disappointed. 2 hrs of making holes in newspapers and learning pressure points I've already been taught.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do I really want to learn how to fight (defend my life) from an inexperienced person who paid $15,000 to be rushed through the system to be an instructor?

I'm not directing this at you IRO-Bot. But this system sounds a little strange.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No argument Qui-Gon, I'm a ussd student and my instructor asked if I was interested in the instructors academy but I said no, the idea of rushing to black belt does not sound right to me, I'd rather take my time and do it right.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do I really want to learn how to fight (defend my life) from an inexperienced person who paid $15,000 to be rushed through the system to be an instructor?

I'm not directing this at you IRO-Bot. But this system sounds a little strange.
Yeah this how they do it.

If they would just let the instructor own the dojo out right they wouldn't have to keep replacing the instructor every year.

Thats there biggest problem. Besides the high prices.

Latest Discussions