Internet rank mill...

A

A.R.K.

I have it on good authority that an organization named 'United States Martial Arts Association' is a rank mill. My source told me that one can buy a 10th Dan for $500. Does anyone have any input either to substantiate or refute this? An associate of mine in another system is being hassled by an individual who claims 9th Dan and uses their certificate as 'proof'. I think he's a blowhard and to be ignored.

If you have any information or input I thank you in advance. :asian:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looking at their website, they look more like a "recognition mill."

When you join, you have to list when you started training in each art you're wanting certification in. And you have to list the dates of each of your ranks. I assume they verify this info to the best of their abilities.

But since they don't test anyone, they're not "certifying" anyone. They're simply and purely offering recognition for "time in" ... which really has little to do with actual skill or ability. I know people who have been legitimately training with good instructors for 20 years or more and who have barely muddled through the most basic elements.

But, basically, they're selling wallpaper. How it's used by the people who buy it, though, is an entirely different question.

Mike

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mya Ryu Jitsu
I have it on good authority that an organization named 'United States Martial Arts Association' is a rank mill. My source told me that one can buy a 10th Dan for $500. Does anyone have any input either to substantiate or refute this? An associate of mine in another system is being hassled by an individual who claims 9th Dan and uses their certificate as 'proof'. I think he's a blowhard and to be ignored.

If you have any information or input I thank you in advance. :asian:

If I coulda spent $500 bucks to get my BLACK, damn, I'd a jumped on that ASAP. ;)

AHHHHH... I'm just playin', just playin'!!! All yall martial artists here :D Don't rush me. :(

Honestly, though, it not about the color of the Dhee around your waist. To me personally, it's really all about the person who's wearing that Dhee that really matters... :asian:

OP
C

chufeng

Haven't you been down this road yourself?

You know my thoughts on this and I won't comment further...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
A

A.R.K.

Chufeng,

No I have not. I am in no way affiliated with this organization which is why I'm seeking information as to it's validity or lack thereof.

The organizations that I belong to are for work-shopping and contacts of mutual interest world-wide. Whether for collaberation on an area of research or cross-training information. Any 'recognition' they have sent me resides in one of two cardboard boxes in the back of the closet. I don't particuarly need them for any reason.

Anything else?

:asian:

Latest Discussions