interesting, very interesting

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
This sunday I went to a very little Kenpo Karate tournament as a corner judge, the comnpetition was in a school were the little boys and girls have Kenpo clases as a sport schedule. The competion was point fighting and the ages of the competitors were 4 years to 12 years, as you may see little ones.

What iI see of this kenpo point fight competition is the oposed at what we see on WTF/TKD competition, the boys and girls used most punches than kicks I can see 95% punches and 5% kicks. However what atracted my atention was at the end of the tournament, I saw two matches of continus fight and here I see alot of more kicks, one particular fight caught my atention.

Continus fighting as the name implies it consist of two rounds of two minutes continus fighting, the fight is stoped only when, one competitor is out the fighting area, or when an ilegal tech is used (foul) or when a knock out is given. I saw a fight amoung two friends, Orlando is a very talented 20 yeras old guy who has practiced martial arts since a kid, he has a red belt in TKD and has practiced Lima Lama he's a very acurated kicker and puncher, the other guy is Sergio sergio has practiced martial arts too and he can kick and punch pretty nasty too. Both friends engage each other very nice, punches and kicks were used in a more balance way, the score area is above belt level including the head.

The kick to punch ratio was good I will say 70% punches and 30% kicks, the punches used were the typical boxing ones, you know the jab,cross,hook,upper,etc, and the kicks more used were the roundhouse kick and the side kicks with a couple of hook kicks. I saw the match balanced and well done, I saw good kicks and good punches, the safety equipment consist of helmet,mouth piece,boxing 12-14 oz gloves,groing protector and shin/instep pads, cero hogu and the blows were preety hard believe me.

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny it is not just Kenpo but alot of Karate or even TKD point sparring is hands heavy. It has always been designed that way. I remember seeing a guy a couple of years ago run though his men division because he used the fronk kick so much that his opponet had no clue what to do.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This sunday I went to a very little Kenpo Karate tournament as a corner judge, the comnpetition was in a school were the little boys and girls have Kenpo clases as a sport schedule. The competion was point fighting and the ages of the competitors were 4 years to 12 years, as you may see little ones.

What iI see of this kenpo point fight competition is the oposed at what we see on WTF/TKD competition, the boys and girls used most punches than kicks I can see 95% punches and 5% kicks. However what atracted my atention was at the end of the tournament, I saw two matches of continus fight and here I see alot of more kicks, one particular fight caught my atention.

Continus fighting as the name implies it consist of two rounds of two minutes continus fighting, the fight is stoped only when, one competitor is out the fighting area, or when an ilegal tech is used (foul) or when a knock out is given. I saw a fight amoung two friends, Orlando is a very talented 20 yeras old guy who has practiced martial arts since a kid, he has a red belt in TKD and has practiced Lima Lama he's a very acurated kicker and puncher, the other guy is Sergio sergio has practiced martial arts too and he can kick and punch pretty nasty too. Both friends engage each other very nice, punches and kicks were used in a more balance way, the score area is above belt level including the head.

The kick to punch ratio was good I will say 70% punches and 30% kicks, the punches used were the typical boxing ones, you know the jab,cross,hook,upper,etc, and the kicks more used were the roundhouse kick and the side kicks with a couple of hook kicks. I saw the match balanced and well done, I saw good kicks and good punches, the safety equipment consist of helmet,mouth piece,boxing 12-14 oz gloves,groing protector and shin/instep pads, cero hogu and the blows were preety hard believe me.

Manny

Manny,

This was one of the original intentions when Sport TKD was developed. Anyone can punch their opponent with little or no technique or training, but to kick and opponent reqires more skill and talent and showcases what is most fascinating and powerful about TKD.

now how its been interpreted since then and what it has evolved to is not the original intent. but hey, parents give birth to their children and create a set of rules to guide them through life..... and even still some turn out to be horrible serial killer, puppy head twisting, evil demons.....

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of the point sparring techs we learn a lot in our school is a front kick followed by a "blitz" or "superman" punch. Basically you stick you arm out straight and ram the opponent with it. It is a tech that is used about 85% of the time for a win.