Interest in splitting off "The Study" into a separate web community?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Toying with the idea. Looking for feedback on it. Yay, nay, eh, all is good.

This would be a stand alone site, not connected to MT other than as part of the MT Network of sites.

Initially I'd clone the section, import all user accounts (so no one has to resign up).

This is a 'discussion point' not a 'plan' at this point, so bat it around a bit.

Oh, I'll need to raise about $500 to do so.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i dont think you need to, i think people need to learn they are not entitled to never being offended

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
generally speaking, no.
(I only have a handful of places I go to, not adding another one)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I'm with gran on this. I'm interested in discussing Study type topics with martial artists-or people who believe themselves to be such-for reasons I'm not going to get into here. Cloning the Study would bring in other people that I don't want to talk with......

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be a good idea but I wouldn't go over to it for the same reason Elder gives. I think all the people who like giving offence for the sake of it and all the people with the same political views would go on it so I definitely wouldn't but then I wouldn't have to as MT would be clear of the political lobbying.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, good idea Bob.. Or.. hmm, I wonder.. Can you not um.. tell certain folk.. sshhh.. that you are cloning the Study (is cloning legal in your state btw?? anyway..) yes tell them you are cloning the Study and then launch it out into space like they did with Spock when he died?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, good idea Bob.. Or.. hmm, I wonder.. Can you not um.. tell certain folk.. sshhh.. that you are cloning the Study (is cloning legal in your state btw?? anyway..) yes tell them you are cloning the Study and then launch it out into space like they did with Spock when he died?

You can clone sheep, no prob! ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm with gran on this. I'm interested in discussing Study type topics with martial artists-or people who believe themselves to be such-for reasons I'm not going to get into here. Cloning the Study would bring in other people that I don't want to talk with......

I could point you in the direction of a Yoga site that has a group that might show up if the study was separate and you REALLY do not want to talk with them. Those guys made the study look like a preschool playground... heck I got banned because I PMed the site admin with multiple examples where “his” rules were broken

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Such are my concerns.

Plus, I'd have to mod it on my own....*shudder*

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I say nay. The Study is a child of MT.com, it emerged from a culture of (mostly) martial artists. Standing alone, it'd cease to be what it is and become just another political/philosophical forum. I mean, how many times in Study discussions has someone said something along the lines of "As a group of martial artists, one would think that..." And for the most part, such comments are entirely appropriate. Removing The Study from its roots would eliminate a lot of what makes it unique.

Also, I don't have $500. :rofl:

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I say 'nay'. Martial Arts is our common ground, so it's nice to have at least one thing in common even when we all argue.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The study and the martial arts site is like one stop shopping. I look into the martial arts side to see if anything interesting has come up, and then I head to the study. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of new stuff on the martial arts side everyday.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd be more interested in there just being a search function that only listed martial arts threads and left out the study so I didn't have to see the threads come up when I click "new posts." Twin Fist is right, we don't have the right not to be offended. But as an anarchist I find the study upsetting and I'd rather never see it. It drove me off this site once before and it was years before I came back. I don't want to be exposed to it if there's a choice. But I wouldn't get rid of it. It's obviously a popular part of the site. I'd just give people the option to not have to see it. I only come here for the martial arts discussions now.

-Rob

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I say keep it here. As I said in the other thread, I think it should be an opt in or out, whichever one. Of course, the standard forum rules apply, as well as the ones specifically for that section.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nay!

Personally I think people here are grown up enough to either read what they think is interesting or simply not read it at all!

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Being such a newb my opinion probably doesn't count for much but as it stands I wouldn't visit a seperate site for "the Study" since I don't really come looking here for discussion as such, rather if I notice a hot topic has come up while perusing the rest of the site I may chime in with my Legendary Golden Nuggets of Wisdom and Infinite Wit.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to say that I have been trying to act like a newbie on the site. I punched in martialtalk.com and I went to the homepage, but I was directed to the forums because of how often I come here. However, at the forum page you see all of the martial arts threads as you scroll down the page and the study is buried in the other non-martial arts topics. I don't use the menu that you showed Bob, I just look at the page to see what is new. I scroll to the arts that interest me and the topics, general self-defense and click on that to see what has been recently posted. Is this how most do it or do they use that drop down menu?

Latest Discussions