Discussion for the Instructors

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok instructors, tell me what you think of this.

When I first started teaching my own branches 9 years ago I was doing ALOT for my students. I was giving them deals, driving them to tournaments and testings every couple of weeks, teaching during Christmas and ALL other holidays never taking a vacation for the 1 or 2 students that wanted to train at that time and other similar things that cost me time or money. Now my instructor back in the day saw some of the things I was doing and he said to me: "don't do anything for anyone" Meaning don't do so much for my students. I hated him for saying that, I thought he was a horrible person and he had no clue what a good martial arts instructor was all about.

Now 9 years later I remember fondly what he said and I think "did he know I was such a stupid *** and totally naive?". I totally agree with my old instructor now and wish I had paid better attention to his valuable lesson.

The reason I feel this way is this: are those people you help going to appreciate the sacrifice and the things you do for them or are they going to take it for granted? Are those people you go out of your way for, going to be there and support the school a few years down the road? Probably not. After teaching for 9 years I realise that you can't be too nice, or people will not respect it. People unfortunately respect what they pay money for, no more than that. You do extra and they start to think it's part of what you owe them or they simply don't think much of it at all. Now that I do less, my students seem to appreciate me more! The things I do now seem more important and special to them and to me it's just doing my job. I no longer teach on holidays, I don't give deals unless they are extremely dedicated and I don't drive anyone anywere. What I do is give good instruction at an excellent rate and people appreciate that alone.

So instructors, tell me what you think!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I've been teaching martial arts now for close to 15 years. (Man is that scary). I had a talk about something like this not long ago with my instructor. He pretty much laughed at me. This seems to be an evolution we all go through. When I first opened the doors to my own studio, we met three nights a week. This worked well for the summer months. The large majority of my students were/are college students. Once the fall semester started up about half my students came to me with issues of needing more nights. What we started was classes every night and every other Saturday morning. People showed up on Saturday's for about six months, and then just stopped comming to that class. After a six weeks of no one showing up on Saturday, we dropped the class. At the time, if any of my students needed a ride, I went and got them. Now, for the most part, I make them make their own arrangements, they may call me as a last resort, and I will go and get them. We were originally opened all of the holidays except Thanksgiving day and Christmas day. And for the first year most of the students showed. Half way through the second year, most of the holidays, despite my students telling me they'd be there, my wife and I usually sat there by ourselves waiting for someone to show up. So now, I close on all major holidays as well as Christmas and New Year's eve. It does seem that the more you go out of your way for your students, the less they appreciate it. Do I still to special things? Yes, just not as frequently.

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis
Ok instructors, tell me what you think of this.

When I first started teaching my own branches 9 years ago I was doing ALOT for my students. I was giving them deals, driving them to tournaments and testings every couple of weeks, teaching during Christmas and ALL other holidays never taking a vacation for the 1 or 2 students that wanted to train at that time and other similar things that cost me time or money. Now my instructor back in the day saw some of the things I was doing and he said to me: "don't do anything for anyone" Meaning don't do so much for my students. I hated him for saying that, I thought he was a horrible person and he had no clue what a good martial arts instructor was all about.

Now 9 years later I remember fondly what he said and I think "did he know I was such a stupid *** and totally naive?". I totally agree with my old instructor now and wish I had paid better attention to his valuable lesson.

The reason I feel this way is this: are those people you help going to appreciate the sacrifice and the things you do for them or are they going to take it for granted? Are those people you go out of your way for, going to be there and support the school a few years down the road? Probably not. After teaching for 9 years I realise that you can't be too nice, or people will not respect it. People unfortunately respect what they pay money for, no more than that. You do extra and they start to think it's part of what you owe them or they simply don't think much of it at all. Now that I do less, my students seem to appreciate me more! The things I do now seem more important and special to them and to me it's just doing my job. I no longer teach on holidays, I don't give deals unless they are extremely dedicated and I don't drive anyone anywere. What I do is give good instruction at an excellent rate and people appreciate that alone.

So instructors, tell me what you think!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Well I hate to think about this kind of thing because I'm a relatively new instructor, but I have seen it happen with my instructor. I remember a student a few years ago come into our school, great student, helped around the school a lot. He musta been here about 2 years before he left for the military. Now because of a bad experience one day, he's slandering my instructor all over the internet.

It's all about politics, when you start helping and doing more for your students, politics get introduced into the school. When politics are introduced into the school, there will always be someone to fall away and start flinging the mud.

I refuse to open my own school because of this political crap. I have decided I am ONLY going to teach on a one on one basis. I'm not going to introduce a code to my students, no loyalty, no honor. I'm just going to teach the martial arts.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It all comes down to offering a quality product and service but taking advantage of yourself. If you have a good product and good service to your students they will gladly pay, but you shuld not over do it. I too have been in the boat giving so much it hurt my business.

R

RCastillo

Like the rest of us, you do what you do because for the love of your art. Unfortunetly, many students will not share/appreciate the same as you do, and this is where problems appear.

I've tried to be like my past instructors, you need help with your work; I'm there. But I do not chase students. and they must also show initiative.

I don't run their lives, therefore, it's not my job to do all these other things for them.

I'm a professional, expect to be paid like one, and in turn, I provide the best service possible.

So in essence, Mr Mavis, you're doing the right thing!:asian:

Latest Discussions