Instructors molesting students...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jks9199 said:
Youth classes should always be open to parental monitoring/watching. That doesn't mean the parents need to be there all the time, and if the parent is causing a disruption, they may have to leave... but the idea of closed youth class is just plain wrong.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm an adult that does not have children...but I would not train at a school that had a closed youth class. The folks that run the school could be saints and angels, but if they can't understand what the appearance of impropriety is, then I don't want to be associated with them.

jks9199 said:
But, I have a bigger problem with what some of the profit-oriented martial arts schools are doing. If I describe a business that's picking kids up from school, monitoring them for several hours until their parents pick them up, and runs all-day programs when school is not in session... Am I describing a day care, or a "afterschool martial arts program?" My opinion is that BOTH are day care, and should be regulated and monitored as such. But the "afterschool martial arts programs" aren't monitored or regulated. Their employees have even more access to kids than a typical day care teacher, but don't have to be trained in anything or pass any background screening.

Gee... Sound like a disaster in the making to anyone else?

Actually, I have more of an issue with the parents that chose to subject their children to such an environment without checking to see if there are background checks done and whether they are operating within state regs. It is THE PARENTS that are responsible for children, and it is a real shame that their are parents that nod like a bobble-head doll "yes, yes, karate daycare good I want karate daycare where do I sign?" instead of fully investigating WHERE their child spends their time.

I also don't have an issue with profit-oriented organizations. There are many MA inststructors out there that are so sullied due to improper interpersonal skills, teaching abilities, or business chops that the CANNOT make a profit from their MA instruction. IMO, an instructor that cannot make it in the public eye is worthy of even more scrutiny than an instructor with a school, reputation, and stake in the community. Just my thoughts though. :asian:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
In Utah, after-school programs and all-day full-summer programs are licensed and regulated.

The after-school martial arts program, if they are run more than 2 hours per day in length, fits in that definition. As such, they fall under the child care regulation and must be licensed by the state. Most children's regular martial arts classes are one hour or less (even if there are several classes in a day), and that is why the licensing is not required.

Due to licensing regulations, all employees have to pass the background screening and be certified with CPR. The ratio of adults to children are also in the regulation. The facility must pass safety criteria to comply with the child care regulations before the license is issued. We had to do some building renovations, so setting up this program required far more extensive planning and commitment than running the traditional martial arts program. The after-school program also turned out to be our most profitable program because there is a high demand for quality after-school service (since many parents in our area are employed).

I'm glad that Utah is well ahead of the curve; most states aren't. I know VA has no regulation unless it's called a day care program.

And I realize that the day care/after school care portion is profitable; that's why so many of them are out there!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jks9199 said:
I'm glad that Utah is well ahead of the curve; most states aren't. I know VA has no regulation unless it's called a day care program.

And I realize that the day care/after school care portion is profitable; that's why so many of them are out there!
For whatever reason... I can't edit my own post. (I'll blame it on my browser for the moment.)

I wanted to add that I don't have a problem with martial arts instruction as a business; my style isn't taught commercially, but that's my style. If others choose to make their living teaching martial arts, that's fine.

And I don't have a problem with martial arts day care/after school programs per se. My problem is when they (or any after school sports program or anything else) use their lack of regulation to get away with doing something that should be regulated. If they're caring for kids, they should be treated as a day care program. Apparently, Utah agrees with me. Many other states don't, from what I can tell.

I actually wouldn't mind any formal program that works with kids being required to meet minimal requirements such as showing that instructors are not registered sex offenders and have had some basic training in keeping kids safe. Many organizations, like Scouting and churches and several youth athletic leagues, have already done this on their own. And I qualify it with formal because there's no way to regulate some guy teaching in his back yard, except through alert parents. (And I definitely feel parents have a responsibility, here, too!)

Latest Discussions