Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/0405/21instructor.html

Cobb martial arts instructor charged with child molestation

Associated Press
Published on: 04/21/05

Authorities have charged a martial arts instructor with child molestation and say he is also wanted in Florida.

Cobb County Police arrested Hyuk Song — who is also known as Jung Song — at his martial arts studio Tuesday.

Song has been charged with aggravated sexual battery, child molestation and enticing a victim for indecent purposes. The alleged molestation happened three years ago. He is being held without bond at the Cobb County Adult Detention Center.

Police spokesman Dana Pierce said authorities believe there may be other victims.

Song, 28, also is wanted in Volusia County, Fla., on charges that he sexually assaulted a child there in 1997, Pierce said.

"He's been on the run for seven years," Pierce said Wednesday. "When our guys opened up this investigation they discovered (Song) had an active warrant from Volusia County."

Police began investigating Song after accusations against him were made by a 12-year-old girl, who is a former student of Song's. The girl was 9 years old at the time she says she was molested.

Song is the primary instructor at W.T.K.D. Song Martial Arts Studio in Marietta and is a fifth-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, police said. Song also operates two other martial arts studios in metro Atlanta.

L

lonekimono10

THEY SHOULD CUT SOMETHING OFF i'm sorry but i have a little girl 10 years old, and i talk about this all the time in class, but what makes it bad that he is a teacher of the martial arts,

hammer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Honestly it sickens me, I to have a daughter, It presents a major concern for all parents regardless of the activity that the child participates in. How someone can be so misleading,and breach the trust of his or her students and/or players etc .to such a dregree. Deservers to be castrated!

And it dosent matter whether he is a martial arts instructor, you here this kind of activity happening with all kinds of people with a postions of trust, whether its a preist, a school teacher, a neighbour, Jezzz even a relative!!!

And i my opinion the the punishment for any such individual should be castration, with a hot molten rod shoved up his *** so he can burn from the inside .

SO WHO CAN YOU TRUST????

Anyway cheers

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
There's something sticks out in my mind about this article. The guy is on the run evading a warrant for sexual assault in Florida, per the article. Why would he make himself visible and run a MA school? Did he just get tired of running? If he was using an alias, why didn't he change his last name as well? I know there's many LEO's that come through MA schools just to talk to the instructor. Would they have not been tipped off?

Don't get me wrong, if he did have a warrant out, I'm glad he was caught. Something just doesn't sit right, though. *shrug*

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
THEY SHOULD CUT SOMETHING OFF i'm sorry but i have a little girl 10 years old, and i talk about this all the time in class, but what makes it bad that he is a teacher of the martial arts,
No, I disagree he is NO teacher of the Martial Arts. No self-respecting true MA-ist would stoop to such a thing, IMO. The bastard shamed us all by using this front to gain access to new victims.
He should be castrated and tattooed on his forehead PERP! in large letters and in smaller letters and written backwards so he can read it in the mirror everytime he looks in one "I am a sick person and need help!"

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't see why there is a need to keep him alive... I know damn sure if it had been my kid they would be talking about my murder trail right now. But then again thats just me.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial Arts do not impart "character"....people impart character.

A good person who is a MA instructor will be a good influence on his students, as will a good parent, teacher, pastor, friend etc....the fact that we all get so astonished that a martial arts instructor (of all people!) could be capable of this **** is a symptom of overestimating the "power" of martial arts training IMHO.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
THEY SHOULD CUT SOMETHING OFF

err... guys...

I'm all for hacking and slashing but, he's not been convicted yet... "Accused" does not always mean guilty...

Once he's found guilty then you can get out your scissors.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
err... guys...

I'm all for hacking and slashing but, he's not been convicted yet... "Accused" does not always mean guilty...

Once he's found guilty then you can get out your scissors.

Andrew, you bring up a very very good point. Accused is not proof enough. Granted his use of an alias, and prior warrent for a simmilar chage add to the likelyhood of a conviction, how can we judge based on accusations.

So often the accused face two trials, one in the judicial system which is more fair and just than most realize. The second trial is that of public opinion where the trial is swift and there is never an appeal.

Thank you Andrew for bringing this up.
smileJap.gif

-Josh

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On that first warrant...

If it was a serious one that they where really looking for you on, would opening a martial arts school be your choice of hiding place?

Media can spin things in all sorts of ways, we are just ignorant advertising dollars.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps some of the LEO's can enlighten us on the particulars of warrents and what not.

I thought perhaps the charges for the outstanding warrent would have reached is statute limit, but then I don't think the warrent would be active.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once a warrant is issued there is no "statute"...Statute of Limitations means that the government has a time limit to begin a case once it is aware of a crime. A warrant means that it has begun.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
On that first warrant...

If it was a serious one that they where really looking for you on, would opening a martial arts school be your choice of hiding place?

Media can spin things in all sorts of ways, we are just ignorant advertising dollars.
Running people for warrants isnt very common outside of sensitive job background investigations or LEO contact.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Opening a MA school isn't like applying for a liquer license I suppose. No fingerprinting and background checks.

Kind of an intesting contrast; in order to sell booze you have to be fingerprinted and all that (I'm not sure if thats a state to state thing or Federal) but to teach people to fight, in most cases the ability to effectively inflict grevious injury on some one you don't have to pass a background check.

In many cases to work in an enviroment that puts you in close proximity with children (i.e. teacher, work at a YMCA ect) you have to pass a background check that includes finger printing. It is cases like this that almost makes me feel that it should be a requirement for MA instructors as well, due to their close, often one on one enviroment with children.

I know that this is a rare occurance, but still it makes me wonder.

Just my thoughts.

-Josh

L

lonekimono10

ok, guys u all make sence about this, but why was he RUNNING??

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
Why? The answer is in the article:

Song, 28, also is wanted in Volusia County, Fla., on charges that he sexually assaulted a child there in 1997, Pierce said.

"He's been on the run for seven years," Pierce said Wednesday. "When our guys opened up this investigation they discovered (Song) had an active warrant from Volusia County."
That's why he ran. But he apparently couldn't stay hidden as he wanted to continue with his alleged activities.

- Ceicei

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lonekimono10 said:
"Song Martial Arts Studio"

I don't know, but if I wanted to hide I don't think I would start a public business and plaster my name everywhere... but maybe that is just me...

He hasn't been convicted of anything, and something is just not fitting right in that story... Media spin is a very powerful thing, Don't start calling for testicle removal until you get some facts is all I'm saying. Feeding stereotypes and fear is good news, it sells advertising space.

Remember, the media makes its money through advertisors, they get advertisors by getting viewers, they get viewers by getting emotional reaction, outrage is an easy one to get...

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am going to have to stick with Andrew at this point. The media tends to spin things according to demographics and advertising. It is evident when watching say Fox and CNN cover the same story (this is excluding politics in the equation).

The point is we (John/Jane Q Public) only know what is presented in the news (media); we do not have sufficient information to say one way or another. I freely state that my initial post in the topic was wrong, very wrong.

Why do you think they select a jury that is made up of people that have not really heard of the story in the media? According to the law, the man is still INNOCENT. While I deplore the charges brought against him, and feel that those convicted of such charges should face stiff penalties. The man must face a jury of his peers, provided only if the DA can meet the burden of proof to arraign him.

Just my thoughts, and I could be wrong.

-Josh

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Things are always more complicated than they first appear. Reserving judgment is wise (and fair).

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm...current charges and a warrant out of another jurisdiction for the same thing? While he is "innocent until proven guilty" in regards to our justice system, I can understand a little judgementalism by the man on the street. Just because the system hasnt proven its case doesnt mean I still cant think the guys a dirtbag.

Theres a big gap between a persons being proven guilty and public/personal opinion....unless you are an LEO on the case, a judge or a jury member who says you cant make a personal "judgement call" on a person? Guilty or not in the systems eyes, I would make a "judgement" and never let my children set foot on his dojo floor.

Latest Discussions