Instructing in the Koryu arts, from a different thread ...

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you're so angry.

No, I'm really not. That comment was a statement of fact, not anger.

I don't know. Try looking at the beginning of this thread.

Oh, I did. I'm referenced in the first post, remember. You missed when I was giving you answers, and instead came back with your smarmy standard way of responding ("You started off good, but then you went here:.... You just can't help yourself"). Each quote that you pulled out was a legitimate answer that I addressed again in the next post. You never apologized for mis-reading and never addressed the points, instead continuing to apply the same incorrect assumptions throughout the thread.

If you don't know, then I can't really tell you.

It wasn't a question for me to answer, Glenn. You posed that the training needs to change, without having any experience or real understanding of even what the aims of Koryu training are, so I asked you why (according to you) the training needs to change.

This ducking of simple questions asking for clarification don't make you look like you know what you're doing.

That only goes so far.

Tell you what, if you're going to ask questions of Koryu practitioners, and we tell you what's what with Koryu, don't turn around and try to correct the answers we give you, okay? Unless you can back things up (and here, you really can't), you don't have any place saying what the training should be, or how far any particular approach goes. This is what I've been talking about with you both needing correction and not taking it, which is what actually gives us the problem.

there you go. you answered your own question.

That's not a change, though. And no, I never had a question there.

sure every martial arts has that. it is not limited to koryu only. There are many roads that lead to rome.

And no-one has said otherwise. But the Koryu are a road separate and distinct, in many ways, and trying to equate them to more "mainstream" martial arts just doesn't work in a number of contexts.

that is a young man's answer.

No, it's an honest and accurate one, based on knowing the realities involved. The point mainly being that you telling me how long I've got, and what I would have to do is like a 5 year old on their first day at school telling the teachers what they need to do there. You really don't have any perspective that's relevant.

You don't have to say anything if you don't want to.

No, I don't. But that doesn't mean you can make up what you think is going on, because you've been off base each time so far.

no not really. not on this minor point.

Helpful for a discussion forum, then. If you're not going to say anything, you don't have to say anything. In fact, it might be better if you don't... better to be silent and all that....

If you wish to include people you only know through the internet as your friend, you can. A lot of people do that.

I count people I have had meaningful interactions and relationships with as friends, regardless of my most common interaction method.

You could be one of those people, in my opinion.

Honestly, your opinion doesn't really carry much weight, positive or negative. Mainly as you don't really get what you're offering an opinion on.

I got three of them. Old school, dueling with osensei and hidden in plain sight. Does he have more than that?

Yes, he does. Most of the others deal with more modern combat/LEO specific topics, and so forth; additionally he has penned articles for the Koryu Books publications, and more. Look to http://www.edgework.info/ for more details.

I don't think so. that's why I asked.

You did get your answer, though. Both to your original question and to your later one.

What does that mean?

That you don't know what is required, what my level is, what my position or relationship is, what my plans are, or what my intentions are. Even if I was to spell it out, you still wouldn't know, because you simply don't have a reference for it.

You don't need to.

Then why are you asking about them?

For lower levels yes, for higher levels, perhaps not.

No, at all levels. To repeat, at all levels.

Yes it is.

Then why the question?

How about study group leaders calling the people in the study group his/her "students"? Does that come up often?

No, it doesn't. Typically there may be a senior member of the study group, who acts as the "leader" for it, but they are all students. When I talk about my students, I'm not talking about the study group members (although the members of one of the study groups are my students, within the group they aren't).

Also I have the Deity and the Sword book but not the video. What do you think of it?

I think a lot of it. I'd wonder what you would really get out of it, though.

Latest Discussions