Injuries

Originally posted by KenpoGirl

Oh and btw, I think certain individuals that make contact with mask should be required to do 50 - 100 pushups as punishment. At the very least their arms will be too tired afterward to even attempt to go for your head. ;)
Dot

hey, now...because of the plastic shield in place, it's a legal target. :D...and she goes for my nose/chin/jaw enough to make it even...and I don't wear a face shield...;)

Originally posted by kenpo2dabone
Yes, thank you, that is exactly the stuff. It is EVIL...EVIL I tell you!

O.K. I guess I will finish it. Actually it did not get infected but...

I did not have insurance at the time so I decided at first not to go to the doctor. Alittle macurecrome a little tape, life is good. Well, I was cleaning the wound the next day at my aunts house when she got a good luck at it. She freaked out and dragged me to the doctor. The wound had had about 24 hours to start heeling so the flap of skin was pretty well attached. The doctor insisted on opening it back up to make sure the tendon did not get nicked. He started by forcing a large que-tip thing under the flap of skin and proceeded to slowly pry the flap up. When I say slowly I mean slowly. Let just say it hurt way worse than the Macurecrome did. . . . .
. . . . . Thats right, open the flap of skin for a third time. He decided to use slow poke and pry method. It sucked big time. To this day I feel that had I not gone to the doctor I would have been a lot better off and the scar would not be nearly as bad. However, I guess I did feel better knowing that the tendon was not nicked rather than asuming it wasn't.

So that's the rest of that story. I hope you enjoyed it.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

Jeez, you should've just installed a hinge so it would've been easier.

Originally posted by Chronuss
hey, now...because of the plastic shield in place, it's a legal target. :D...and she goes for my nose/chin/jaw enough to make it even...and I don't wear a face shield...;)

Well in that case ......

All's fair in Love and Sparring. ;)

Dot
:D

After sparring tonight, I noticed something really odd...despite wearing shin pads, and everything, I still bruise primarily on my right shin. it's more than the permanent bruise there towards my ankle. and my bruises there are pretty ugly. however, if i bruise on my left shin at all, they're not bad.

*sigh* i'm just an anomoly...i still need to get the "dent" on my breast bone checked out. (it feels like there's a dent there...it's weird...really painful to lean weight on, too)

...maybe accident prone describes me better...:rolleyes:

Reoccuring degentative disk disease.. My aching back... bad knee.. waiting for sugery... Hyperextended elbow..chronic...Toes don't bend...hip problems.... turning 40 is great.....

I have had my share of injuries too- the bigger incidents include.....

Stepping on the metal ring of a three-ring binder with my bare foot (middle, tender underpart) while sparring- that hurt a bit!!!!

Kicked someone's elbow with my instep.

Had a guy do a crescent kick and his toenail opened up a nice cut under my chin- nice scar now.

Broken little toes several times.

The worst by far was when I blew my right knee out during my 2nd brown test. It was the middle of the test and I stepped in to block a punch and heard a loud pop. The stability was lost in my knee from then to the end of the test- I kept asking for permission to tighten my knee brace (the knee had been hurting me during training for this test so I had a cheap neoprene brace on it during the test)- but it didn't help much.......I finished the test, but I fell down several times due to lack of stability...boy did I fight for that rank!! The next day at a seminar, we got kicked for our ranks........a friend let me put my now hugely swollen knee into his old knee brace (with metal sidebars) for the kick- I was shaking like crazy and really glad when that was over. I had my reconstruction surgery about a month later.

It took me a good year to rehab the knee and I still have to wear a de-rotational knee brace on it these days for class.

:asian: :karate:

Broke the 2 middle bones in my right foot. I'm right side dominant. 1 month after I first started at my other school. I should have known from that that it wouldn't be good to be there.

MartialArtsChic

Originally posted by Shodan
I have had my share of injuries too- the bigger incidents include.....

Stepping on the metal ring of a three-ring binder with my bare foot (middle, tender underpart) while sparring- that hurt a bit!!!!

Kicked someone's elbow with my instep.

Had a guy do a crescent kick and his toenail opened up a nice cut under my chin- nice scar now.

Broken little toes several times.

The worst by far was when I blew my right knee out during my 2nd brown test. It was the middle of the test and I stepped in to block a punch and heard a loud pop. The stability was lost in my knee from then to the end of the test- I kept asking for permission to tighten my knee brace (the knee had been hurting me during training for this test so I had a cheap neoprene brace on it during the test)- but it didn't help much.......I finished the test, but I fell down several times due to lack of stability...boy did I fight for that rank!! The next day at a seminar, we got kicked for our ranks........a friend let me put my now hugely swollen knee into his old knee brace (with metal sidebars) for the kick- I was shaking like crazy and really glad when that was over. I had my reconstruction surgery about a month later.

It took me a good year to rehab the knee and I still have to wear a de-rotational knee brace on it these days for class.

I feel you brother. Mine was a conterrotation of lower vs upper leg during a hip toss. That pop was a defining moment in my MA history.

That would be SISTER!! Ha ha!!

Yes- definitely a pop I will not be forgetting any time soon- how is your training now? Can you predict the weather with your leg like I can?!!

Can you predict the weather with your leg like I can?!!
I can do that with my right knee and left wrist.... at least for the bigger storm fronts moving in. I think I have a better record than the national weather service.

That would be SISTER!! Ha ha!!

Yes- definitely a pop I will not be forgetting any time soon- how is your training now? Can you predict the weather with your leg like I can?!!

Sorry, bout the "Miss-understanding". Training has been alright except the front of my knee still won't accept any pressure, like if I am kneeling. Seiza is impossible. Luckily most of my training is weapons work and loose grappling now, so it fits well. I can tell easily when the pressure outside changes.

Yeah- same here- I can't hardly get down on my hands and knees anymore unless it is on a very soft surface. There is one kata we do in Kenpo that requires you to drop down on one knee and then the other (Long Form 4)- I have to just kneel there now. I also have a big area on my knee that since surgery, has no feeling. I am, however, thankful to just have stability again- that was really scary to have it give out in a heartbeat while walking or standing and sometimes it would go too far backwards- OUCH!!

Yep- I know what you guys mean about changes in pressure and being a better forecaster than the weather people........they should just ask us before their reports, eh?!!

Good to hear you both are still training despite the set-backs- keep it up!!

I also have a big area on my knee that since surgery, has no feeling. I am, however, thankful to just have stability again- that was really scary to have it give out in a heartbeat while walking or standing and sometimes it would go too far backwards- OUCH!!

When mine first happened, I didn't do anything to have it checked out for about a week. The next day I went to train boxing I threw a hook and ended up staring up thinking, "What just happened? I know I didn't just get hit."

That numb spot is from a nerve they have to cut to get into the knee. My doc said that the numb spot will shrink and shrink over time, as other nerves grow to take up the slack of the dead one. He said that it will end up the size of about a quarter coin and will stay numb at that size for life. Its really neat for do cigarette burn tricks there at parties, to show how tough you are. ;)

You know, after reading some of these posts about the knees and stuff, I consider myself lucky that I just broke my foot and the 2 middle bones at that. No PT, just had to wait til it healed. The only thing the foot does now and again is cramp up for a bit.

My brother blew out his knee so I know where you are coming from.

Latest Discussions

Back