Infinite Insights #2: Front flips and back flips

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nick Ellerton said:
All I am saying is, that "if" there is no need to apply a flip cartwheel or roll then do not go out of your way to do so. cheers.

Now that statement ... You can take to the Bank!!

I totally agree with you.

:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Then again, if a simple cartwheel would stop an attacker, or potentially dangerous situation why not use it. But I wouldn't throw a back flip into a 5 Swords just for something to do. They maneuvers are in the book to help us learn and understand elements of spatial orientation, locomotion, springs and landings.

And you honestly think that doing something like that would work?? :idunno:

Mike

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
And you honestly think that doing something like that would work?? :idunno:

Mike

I have used a back flip to get out a charge for walking home intoxicated from the bar. And I have used a backroll to instead of a technique from a push. It just comes down to what a person feels comfortable with. Just because something isn't conventional doesn't mean it is not effective.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
It just comes down to what a person feels comfortable with. Just because something isn't conventional doesn't mean it is not effective.

Very true.

Mike

D

dcence

Rob Broad said:
I have used a back flip to get out a charge for walking home intoxicated from the bar.

What did they want you to do? Drive home instead? :idunno:

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Canada you can be charged with being intoxicated in a public place. But I asked if I did a back flip would it prove I wasn't too intoxicated to walk home safely. The police used target 6 or 7 people coming out of the bars towards the end of each monthto make sure they hit their quotas.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used a shoulder roll in a self-defense situation outside a bar:

I was riding my bike home from a bar after last call one night. Got hit by an SUV also exiting the bar. Car fender hit my front wheel. I rolled over the hood, bounced off the windshield, landed on my feet with a winshield wiper blade sticking out of my back pocket. My bike wasn't so lucky.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
I used a shoulder roll in a self-defense situation outside a bar:

I was riding my bike home from a bar after last call one night. Got hit by an SUV also exiting the bar. Car fender hit my front wheel. I rolled over the hood, bounced off the windshield, landed on my feet with a winshield wiper blade sticking out of my back pocket. My bike wasn't so lucky.

WoW, Easy Rider Kenpo New Style? just kidding, that's pretty awsome.

Rick :CTF:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not quite Easy Rider...it was a bicycle, not a motorcycle.

The poor guy who hit me didn't even see me until I bounced on his windshield. He was so distraught when he got out of his truck...I thought he was going to puke. People ran over from the parking lot and thought that he was the one who got hit!

My front wheel and fork were ruined. I stomped up and down on the rim to straighten it and pulled off the front brake so I could ride home. My back was so sore the next morning from the bounce, I couldn't even get out of bed. Scared the sh** out of me.

Anyway, that was the 4th time in my life I got hit by a car on my bike! I got glasses shortly after that, and I haven't been in any more bike/car accidents.

Latest Discussions