Not open for further replies.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I think you can, as long as you credit the source.

There might be some limit without permission.

Try to copy something off of starwars.com on your website, credit them and see what happens!!! :jedi1: :jediduel: :xwing:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Palusut said:
There might be some limit without permission.

Try to copy something off of starwars.com on your website, credit them and see what happens!!! :jedi1: :jediduel: :xwing:
Referencial use is acceptable. Just saying "Hey I saw this on X and wonder what you think of it" for discussion isn't a problem.

When you start cutting and pasteing from say the SW's example and implying and association with them to make a profit you will find some trouble. If you really try to pull of the "unofficial spokesman" status (like in the Wendy's commercial campaign) by using tons of images and texts, regardless of citation, you will be in trouble.

E

Emptyglass

Cebu West said:
I just recently purchased a pinuti bolo from Kris Cutlery in California. It looks very similar to the one in the first photo of the soldier.
Here is the photo and the write up from their web site.

http://www.kriscutlery.com/philippine/index_pinuti.html

By the way, this is an awesome weapon.

SAL

Hi Sal:

Kris Cutlery does sell some nice stuff. There is a book (or series of books) waiting to be written on the weapons of the Philippine Islands and a comprehensive examination of them could be a lifelong pursuit if the researcher was interested in doing proper documentation. Don Draeger did a seminal work on the weapons of Indonesia and there are a great many similarities between the implements in his book (Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia) and the weapons I've seen from the Philippines.

In regards to the Pinuti, it looks a bit longer than the jungle bolo but definitely has a similar design. It also looks like it has a false edge on the back as well.

Rich Curren

Cebu West

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
One glaring difference between Modern Arnis and Balintawak is the grabbing and trapping done in MA and not in Balintawak. I was told that they were seldom used in the PI and Professor took advantage of this to defeat many opponents. I don't remember who said this to me.

I also remember the Professor showing Balintawak moves at seminars. He would start by demonstrating a Modern Arnis technique and by the time he was done he would say, "But you can also do this, but we are not doing that now." I always tried to watch for that stuff. That was the stuff not meant for the seminar, but it probably was where the Modern Arnis technique originated. It was nasty, quick and right to the point. A game ender. Not good for the seminar crowd but great stuff for those who picked up on them.

SAL

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cebu West said:
One glaring difference between Modern Arnis and Balintawak is the grabbing and trapping done in MA and not in Balintawak. I was told that they were seldom used in the PI and Professor took advantage of this to defeat many opponents. I don't remember who said this to me.

I also remember the Professor showing Balintawak moves at seminars. He would start by demonstrating a Modern Arnis technique and by the time he was done he would say, "But you can also do this, but we are not doing that now." I always tried to watch for that stuff. That was the stuff not meant for the seminar, but it probably was where the Modern Arnis technique originated. It was nasty, quick and right to the point. A game ender. Not good for the seminar crowd but great stuff for those who picked up on them.

SAL

Sal et al,

I agree from the Lineage of Balintawak I have that there is no grabbing and that the techniques taught are to counter grabs. Where as Modern Arnis has grabbing. Although there are family trees of Balintawak that have put in Grabbing, so some would disagree with you, on the differences. Knowing you might have heard it from me or Tim, therefore the comments about Balintawak not grabbing.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Sal et al,

I agree from the Lineage of Balintawak I have that there is no grabbing and that the techniques taught are to counter grabs. Where as Modern Arnis has grabbing. Although there are family trees of Balintawak that have put in Grabbing, so some would disagree with you, on the differences. Knowing you might have heard it from me or Tim, therefore the comments about Balintawak not grabbing.
Bobby Taboada's grouped version has some grabbing/trapping in the system. There is a whole series of trap/grab give and takes based on 4 count Block Check Counter. Also, in the weapon semi advance applications there is some grabbing and pulling as timing disruption and off balancing techniques. As Rich as mentioned there are some counter grabbing techniques as well.

By no means are these comprehensive 'grappling' portions of the grouped version of Balitawak that Bobby puts forth but they are effective binding motions that would limit/eliminate the stick long enought to open gaps in play.

Interestingly enough, in the grouping sets that Bobby uses there are many opportunities for the feeder/senior student/instructor to work on empty hand on stick binding/grabbing and rhythmn breakers. Both sides get something from the drills.

Others have put forth the notion that Tapi/Tapi was a re-introduction of Cuentada that RP used in Balitawak training. But, there seems to be a semi structured/'play' game in most FMA stick systems. My interest gets peaked when I notice the similarities to Euro training structures that Arnis/Escrima type arts have. Somewhere I remember reading that even the origins of Doce Pares founders had an imprisoned french fencer as an influence...or was that Pilates:). Seriously though there was mention of a senior Seveerda serving a prison sentence with a Frenchman who may have shown him some fencing.

I imagine there have been multiple euro/FMA exchanges throughout history though. Considering the fall of interest in FMA and the upsurge of Euro/Japanese/Chinese arts pre=Modern Arnis, I imagine the role models of financial and cultural success were those who adopted euro culture.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Bobby Taboada's grouped version has some grabbing/trapping in the system. There is a whole series of trap/grab give and takes based on 4 count Block Check Counter. Also, in the weapon semi advance applications there is some grabbing and pulling as timing disruption and off balancing techniques. As Rich as mentioned there are some counter grabbing techniques as well.

Check out the Eskrima Digest and a recent post in the last two days by Uncle Rocky of Modern Arnis and Balintawak.

loki09789 said:
By no means are these comprehensive 'grappling' portions of the grouped version of Balitawak that Bobby puts forth but they are effective binding motions that would limit/eliminate the stick long enought to open gaps in play.

Yes, this is where some people get picky and state that since it is grouped it has been changed and therfore not the true Balintawak. Either way, I say check them out and see what everyone has to offer.

loki09789 said:
Interestingly enough, in the grouping sets that Bobby uses there are many opportunities for the feeder/senior student/instructor to work on empty hand on stick binding/grabbing and rhythmn breakers. Both sides get something from the drills.

Hmmmm, I wonder if this the Senior of the two being the average 'Joe' off the street with some Stick Training to allow the junior to practice? or are these actually required techniques for the system? Not know the techniques in question, I could imagine both being true.

loki09789 said:
Others have put forth the notion that Tapi/Tapi was a re-introduction of Cuentada that RP used in Balitawak training. But, there seems to be a semi structured/'play' game in most FMA stick systems. My interest gets peaked when I notice the similarities to Euro training structures that Arnis/Escrima type arts have. Somewhere I remember reading that even the origins of Doce Pares founders had an imprisoned french fencer as an influence...or was that Pilates:). Seriously though there was mention of a senior Seveerda serving a prison sentence with a Frenchman who may have shown him some fencing.

Cuentada is the highest stage or development in Balintawak. This is true. It does mean counting in direct translation, I believe. Yet, in this context it means you are able to hit your opponent where you desire too, and that you can manipulate your opponent to react in a fashion to allow you to obtain your desired strike. I do not think that Tapi-Tapi is this stage. I do think that of you were to train Tapi-Tapi or Semi Sparring or Solo Baston Sparring, or ..., that you could get there eventually. This means that the drill itself is not same as Cuentada. It is when people have been able to work the drill and their opponent in a free format that allows them to obtain their desired goal, that I would say it might be the same. :asian:

loki09789 said:
I imagine there have been multiple euro/FMA exchanges throughout history though. Considering the fall of interest in FMA and the upsurge of Euro/Japanese/Chinese arts pre=Modern Arnis, I imagine the role models of financial and cultural success were those who adopted euro culture.

A new thread? or see the points that Tulisan aka Paul has made about the Sabre and the Bolo in anther thread on Bolo's.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Going back to the original topic of this thread, I want to clarify a few things. It was my post in Eskrima Digest that got the response and that was because of a review of Bram's bolo DVD I posted.

Bram got from Remy two bolos, one which belonged to Jose Presas and one which belonged to Berong Presas. They were used in jungle fighting, hence the term "jungle bolo." I do not know (and didn't ask) if there is a proper noun called "jungle bolo." The ones he got were the Presas family bolos. Jose, Berong and Remy all taught the Bolo Battalion. This is backed up and verified by Roland Dantes, who also taught the Bolo Battallion with Remy.

Bram makes the distinction that the bolo for jungle fighting has the pointed end rather than the flatter end so that one can use the tip as well.

I'm finding that the blade has more to do with Modern Arnis roots and technique than what has stresseed previously. Figure this in the equation:
"What should be emphasized, however, is the fact that the cane is only for practice purposes for it's basically less lethal in nature. For in actual combat, the standard weapon is still the bolo or any bladed weapon which is more suitable and convenient for this kind of combat technique." (p. 9, Modern Arnis Philippine Martial Art "Stick Fighting" by Remy Presas, 1974)

Look at the blades shown on page 5 in The Practical Art Of Eskrima (Remy Presas, copyright 1976, 1st printing 1980), under the heading of "Assorted bladed weapons used in Eskrima," the blades shown are much like the Presas bolo and have the tapered tips for stabbing and ripping. If you look at the bolo on page 13 of Dan Inosanto's book The Filipino Martial Arts you will see that it also has a tapered end. The same is in Rey Galang's translation of Placido Yambao's Mga Karunungan Sa Larong Arnis. You see the original photos with Placido Yambao with a blade that, again, tapers at the end. I will stop going through my FMA books as I think you'll get my point.

Modern Arnis US (my term) is very stick oriented. From my recent research I am finding out that Modern Arnis PI (my term) has much more blade orientation than Modern Arnis US.

David Eke is responding first to me and then to David Fogge, who is a student of Roland Dantes in Australia.

Bart posted
1. I found the point of contention in the ED thread to be one surrounding the question as to whether the origins of Modern Arnis are from Balintawak, Karate, or from Remy's uncles and grandfathers as is apparently the assertion in Bram Frank's DVD. It seems likely to me that it may be all three as much as any single source. 2. I do have to say that there is no such thing as a "jungle bolo" in my experience. A bolo is all purpose and is at home cutting jungle brush just as much as it is at getting buko juice or getting the chicken ready for dinner or taking care of the occasional home invasion robber. A bolo is a bolo is a bolo.

1. Yes. The origins of Modern Arnis are broad based. RP's balintawak training came to the foreground when someone speeded up on him or surprised him, from what I saw. A lot of his striking looks like it came from standard karate and his locking was basic judo/jujutsu heavily influenced by Small Circle Ju-Jitsu.

2. I couldn't say anything on that one way or another as I am not "bolo educated." You'd have to talk to Bram there. That being said I will offer an uneducated viewpoint - perhaps the bolo and machete are being lumped together as the same thing hence the "confusion" or "topic controversy"?

Tim,
You originally started this thread but I haven't seen your viewpoint posted yet. What do you think about all this? Also, what does "Datu Puti" mean?

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dan...awsome post. Now...copy the whole thing and paste it over in my new thread on the topic! :rofl: :cheers:

Also...Datu Puti roughly translates too "White Datu."

heh....reminds me of the Jean-claude movie "the kickboxer" where the crowd started chanting, "Nok Sui Kow!" or "White warrior!" Man...you should see Tim jump up and do the splits on 2 counter-tops! :roflmao:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Also, what does "Datu Puti" mean?

Yours,
Dan Anderson
The simplest transliteration would be "White Chieftain."

Rich,

As far as the Bk, authentic/true issue. Not interested. Bobby's stuff is good to go, recognzied and respected by Bk seniors/peers and linked directly to GGM Bacon, partially by direct instruction with GM Bobby and partially by instruction under a few of GGM Bacon's GM's/Senior students.

It is a funny story, but GM Bobby tells the story of how he was asked to do a YMCA demo with his instructor and during the demo, his instructor could not get through his defense and counter and had to resort to binding/stick grabbing to create the gap. So, I would say that the stick binding stuff is actually part of the original Bk stuff, just taught differently through the grouped/ungrouped approaches.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Others have put forth the notion that Tapi/Tapi was a re-introduction of Cuentada that RP used in Balitawak training.
Hi Paul,

From training with Manong Ted I think the original tapi-tapi (1-12 back and forth drill) was more of a RP variant of abecedario. Then the current day tapi-tapi (the capture-bait-capture coming from the single sinawali set up) is more of a RP seguidas. The cuentada, as I understand it, is totally free form. The tapi-tapi is not. It is strictly close to medium quarters and by definition would not fit the concept of cuentada.

As to the differences between GM Taboada's balintawak and Manong Ted's balintawak (and whoever else's we want to insert here), from person to person there will be differences and if someone along the way wants to add, change,vary and so forth, it'll happen. I'm studying with Manong Ted and I am satisfied.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Corridas: This is the free form; generally where all Manongs Teds students learn the majority of the techniques, and the solutions to problems. The meat and potatoes, if you will, however, the Corridas is the free form or free sparring. Quote Manong, "You don't KNOW what I am going to do!"

Cuentadas: You are free sparring, but it is much more then that. You are leading your opponent through the movements so you can strike a particular spot, or do a particular technique. This demonstrates the ultimate control over the encounter.

This is Manong Teds/Anciongs definition, anyways.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

PAUL

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Corridas: This is the free form; generally where all Manongs Teds students learn the majority of the techniques, and the solutions to problems. The meat and potatoes, if you will, however, the Corridas is the free form or free sparring. Quote Manong, "You don't KNOW what I am going to do!"

Cuentadas: You are free sparring, but it is much more then that. You are leading your opponent through the movements so you can strike a particular spot, or do a particular technique. This demonstrates the ultimate control over the encounter.

This is Manong Teds/Anciongs definition, anyways.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

PAUL
I think the inter/intra definitions are the root of the problem, not the actions/drills themselves.

Within MA alone, in the yellow book there is a "give and take" drill that starts with a forehand strike, but is the same thing as what some have called "Sombrada" and starts with an overhead strike....

Between the grouped/ungrouped systems there will be terms that mean the same motion but will be described/defined differently. Some of it comes from the problem of the languaga issue between Tagalog/English and some of it is stylistic. The 'grouped' system seems, not better or worse or more or less 'authentic' simply structure the essential material of Balitawak into 'groups', sets, drills or what ever. They work better for group instruction, 'homework' and thematic/goal instruction. The ungrouped system is fine for private lessons and regular direct instruction....

From watching Sam Buot on video and others on streaming video/pictures where the rubber meets the road, they all move very similarly but with individualised 'flavors' regardless of the instructional model.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
The simplest transliteration would be "White Chieftain."

Rich,

As far as the Bk, authentic/true issue. Not interested. Bobby's stuff is good to go, recognzied and respected by Bk seniors/peers and linked directly to GGM Bacon, partially by direct instruction with GM Bobby and partially by instruction under a few of GGM Bacon's GM's/Senior students.

It is a funny story, but GM Bobby tells the story of how he was asked to do a YMCA demo with his instructor and during the demo, his instructor could not get through his defense and counter and had to resort to binding/stick grabbing to create the gap. So, I would say that the stick binding stuff is actually part of the original Bk stuff, just taught differently through the grouped/ungrouped approaches.

Paul, once again I think people are making more than I am trying to say.

I never stated that GM Bobby did not train with GM Bacon. Nor did I state what he had was not good. I said to check him out, whcih means to go learn from him if you can.

There are clips in Balintawak to break a timing, yes. Yet this is momentary and not a grab. I know subtle difference that many will not see nor care about. As to the grouped and modifed, versions, yes they are just that grouped and modified. Can people get the same end result, I would have to answer yes. As to the Ungrouped, or original or traditional or what ever, I agree that grabs are done as by 'Juan' so the student can learn the counters. I also agree that clips and other techniques to break the opponents timing are made, yet they are not grabs if done properly. And you can accomplish the same thing as with the grouped and modified versions.

There was no disrespect meant to anyone of the different groups out there.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
There are clips in Balintawak to break a timing, yes. Yet this is momentary and not a grab. I know subtle difference that many will not see nor care about. QUOTE]

Yes, but this is one amigo who cares about it. This one subtlety has made a major impact on my Modern Arnis. I seldom grab a cane anymore. Or at least I grab a lot less.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - Tim, no word from you yet.

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
PS - Tim, no word from you yet.

The White Chief thinks he did a good job with starting this thread and will be posting tomorrow. Now it is time for rest.

:partyon:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
bart said:
He's responding to both Dan and Deke and then one other person in the thread now that I look at it again. David doesn't really cite the person but just includes their words and writes his response below.
Okay, I think the confusion of who authored what portion of the copy was because Tim never really identified or explained who was saying what. Since he was the author of the thread topic, I was thinking he was the author of the bolded section without any other guidance to work from. Is Tim the author of any of the text copy?

Also there was talk some kind of challenge match with MoroMoro in the Phillipines talked about on MT that would have recently taken place or would be taking place soon so the PI trip talk would have made sense too. Though the mention of multiple trips was confusing.

I haven't noticed any pictures from PI on the Horizon/WMAA website or links, so I am assuming that it still in the future? Moromoro no longer posts on MT so I haven't been able to ask him.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something from Rick Mitchell on the topic:

Does anyone here have contacts in PI to get info on the "Bolo Unit" for any further clarification?
Tested Tough

The Fearsome Fighting Blades of the Philippines

by Rick Mitchell
tested1.jpg
[size=-1]Philippine fighting blades became famous when one of them (a kampilan) felled Captain Ferdinand Magellan (right). [/size]Knife sharpens on stone;
Man sharpens on man.
A long perilous road tests the horse;
A long perilous journey tests the man.
-Chinese Adage

April 27, 1521, Mactan Island, Philippines-After most of his men had deserted him in the heat of battle, a native warrior threw a bamboo spear in Magellan's face. Magellan immediately thrust his lance into the warrior's breast and left it there. He then reached for his sword, but was only able to pull it out halfway from its sheath because his right arm was wounded. While standing knee deep in the surf, Magellan tried to reposition himself.
dsiegel.gif
However, his feet were mired in mud and it was difficult for him to move. A charging warrior slashed and nearly severed Magellan's left leg with a large, heavy sword called a kampilan. Magellan fell face forward into the water and, in the words of the famous historian Pigafetta, who was by his side, " . . . they killed our mirror, our light, our comfort and true guide. " So died Captain-General Ferdinand Magellan at the flashing hands of Filipino warriors and their fighting blades.
dsiegel.gif
Being true to himself and his community, the mighty chieftain of Mactan, Lapu Lapu, fought and defeated the Spaniards and refused to give up Magellan's body for all the riches in the world. He made the dead captain's burial on Mactan Island a perpetual monument of the Filipino's first successful encounter with formidable foreign invaders.
dsiegel.gif
The conquistador's' retreat back to Spain was a tribute to the fighting prowess of Filipino warriors and their fighting blades. So impressed with this new fighting style and weaponry, they named it escrima (skirmish) after their own style of Spanish fencing.

[size=+2]Technique #1[/size]Modern arnis founder Remy Presas (left) demonstrates a technique with a jungle bolo. As the attack comes in (1), Presas first blocks it (2) with his blade and grabs the wrist of his attacker (3). Presas then ends the battle with two stabs of his own (4-6).

dsiegel.gif
At the time of this bloody battle, the Philippine Archipelago of over 7,700 islands was divided into a hodgepodge of politically independent communities known as barangays. Each barangay produced a different dialect. It was also each person's responsibility to defend his own community so that it would become stronger. To further this goal, self-defense systems were encouraged. Forms of kali (large bladed weapons fighting) and dumog (Filipino native wrestling) were taught to protect barangays from pirates or foreign invaders.
dsiegel.gif
The Spanish eventually returned to the Philippines in 1564. Led by Miguel Lopez de Legspi, they acquired firm control over most barangays by force of arms and diplomatic skill. With Spanish rule secured, Filipinos were made slaves and a ban was put on the practice of kali and the carrying of fighting blades.
dsiegel.gif
In spite of this prohibition, the Filipinos continued the practice of kali secretly, during the late hours of the night and while performing in dances and moro-moro stage plays. During moro-moro performances, when the Filipino slaves manipulated the colorful harnesses of their costumes, they were actually practicing kali under the unaware eyes of the Spanish overlords. The newly disguised, widely used, term for their fighting arts became arnis de marzo (harness of the hand), or simply arnis. In the southern Philippines, the proud, patriotic and fiercely independent Moros (Muslim Filipinos) mixed arnis and courage and were never conquered by the Spanish. Hence, they were able to continue the growth and development of weapons and fighting This was greatly influenced by the continual flood of aggressive cultures with superior weaponry, who infiltrated into the archipelago, especially the Malayans, who settled in the mountain slopes in 200 B.C.
dsiegel.gif
Three basic types of bladed weapons commonly seen in Moroland are the barong, kampilan and kris. The barong is a Sulu fighting sword, with a heavy, single-edged leaf-shaped blade approximately 18 inches long. The back of the blade is thicker than any other blade of the southern Philippines, giving it the slashing weight needed to compensate for its shortness. The hilt is made of wood, silver, ivory or black horn, and is frequently formed in the shape of an exotic bird or animal.
dsiegel.gif
The kampiian, common in Mindanao, is a large and heavy sword that needs to be handled with both hands. It is considered to be in the same class as the cutlass or Japanese samurai sword because of its great size, weight and craftsmanship. The blade is single-edged, has a definite sharp point, is wider near the tip and narrows progressively toward the hilt. Sometimes the kampilan has a little horn-like projection just opposite the point, making the blade appear double-pointed. The kampilan's handle is wrapped with a fibrous material like the handle of the samurai sword and its butt end often resembles the open jaws of a crocodile. It has been described as "a weapon made for splitting the body from top to toe." Some people say that the kampilan was Lapu Lapu's favorite weapon.

[size=+2]Technique #2[/size]Clutching a bolo and a jungle bolo, Presas stops another attack. This time he blocks downard (1&2), gains control (3) and forces the attacker's blade away (4) so he can get a clean shot (5).

dsiegel.gif
The kris is a Malayan dagger with either a straight or wavy blade. The blades are always double-edged and vary in lengths from five to 30 inches. Blades found in Malaysia are sharply pointed, but seldom taper to a sharp point in Sulu and Mindanao. The kris has a long history of complicated structural features, decoration and significance.
dsiegel.gif
The Moros use the kris and kampilan to practice their fighting technique in a traditional dance called silat. They also show a preference for the karasaik (spear) and frequently use it along with a circular shield made of wood and decorated with metal and carvings.
dsiegel.gif
To the Moros, the carrying of a blade is a sign of personal honor and those who go without their blade feel undressed. Each blade, therefore, is used to suit individual tastes and requirements. Some of the other blades found in Moroland include the punal, panabas, pira, laring, lahot, and utak.
dsiegel.gif
These various fighting blades were used by Juramentados (Filipino Muslims who took religious vows to kill as many Spanish-Christian soldiers as possible) during the "Moro Wars," which lasted through more than 300 years of Spanish domination and carried over into the American occupation of the Philippines, beginning in the early 1900s.
dsiegel.gif
At first, American firepower was insufficient to stop the flashing, slashing blades of the feared Juramentado frenzy, even at point-blank range! As a result, the U.S. Army was forced to reissue its mothballed single-action Colt 45 (long Colt) revolvers, in place of the .38 caliber revolvers used by the American forces in the Philippines. This led to the eventual design of the Colt 45 ACO (automatic Colt pistol) in the Philippines and elsewhere.
dsiegel.gif
Besides the Moros of the southern Philippines, pagan tribes, loosely called Igorot, lived in the mountainous interior of the northern Philippines and also retained their independence. For the Igorot, head-hunting was an ancient rite intensely practiced during the Spanish regime. Head-hunting expeditions usually followed the death of native kinsmen. When an unsuspecting victim was within range, a head-hunter would use the hook on the back edge of the cutting blade of his ax to snag the victim's head toward himself. In a swift follow-up, he or another headhunter would then decapitate the victim by using the concave cutting edge of a head ax. To the Igorot, head-hunting was synonymous with warfare and surely, plenty of Spanish heads watched over their native huts.
dsiegel.gif
In 1941, General Yamashita promised the Emperor of Japan that Japanese Imperial Forces would seize all of Southeast Asia for their "Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere." The Japanese proceeded to quickly swallow up all of Southeast Asia-except for the Philippines. General Douglas MacArthur instructed the Philippine troops to resist the enemy at the mountainous peninsula of Bataan and at the small fortress island of Corregidor until he returned from Australia with reinforcements and supplies.
tested2.jpg
[size=-1]For centuries, the flashy fighting knives of the Philippines meant terror to those who had to fight against them. Some of those knives Included the kris (left to right in order), bolo machete, bolo, jungle bolo and machete. [/size]
dsiegel.gif
Although the U.S. had the authority to dictate political and military strategy, Filipinos were allowed to use their knowledge and ability in arnis, and they in turn taught it to American bayonet instructors. Long, broad-pointed and single-edged bolo knives (similar to a machete, but usually shorter) were issued to Filipino platoons to be used both as a hand weapon and as a bayonet, when affixed to their Springfield or Garand rifles.
dsiegel.gif
Modern arnis founder and grandmaster Remy Presas' uncle, Berong Presas, was a member of the Filipino Scouts and an instructor for a bolo battalion that carried jungle bolos when sent out on special assignments. Jungle bolos have sharper points, narrower and thinner blades and are lighter in weight than standard bolos knives. They are designed for quickness, as many Japanese came to find out. A frequently used strategy of these Filipino guerrillas was to steal forth at night and use their bolos to decapitate the sleeping enemy or, with a savage surge of the blade, thrust an unaware sentry into the waiting arms of his emperor. Melting back into the jungle, they hid during the daytime as Japanese patrols searched in vain. Many of the tactics used in the Vietnam War were pattered after Filipino strategies of guerrilla fighting.
dsiegel.gif
Shortly after the war in the Pacific, Philippine independence was restored and many Filipinos migrated to the United States, settling mostly in California and Hawaii. Some of them began teaching their traditional knowledge of arnis to family, friends and selected students residing in their communities.
dsiegel.gif
Keeping up with the long tradition of changing times and circumstances, professor Remy Presas has taken hundreds of traditional forms of arnis and other fighting arts indigenous to other cultures, such as karate, judo, kenpo, jujitsu, etc., and honed them into a system he calls "modern arnis."
dsiegel.gif
In recent years, Presas brought modern arnis to the U.S. and other countries. He is promoting modern arnis not only to harness the environment, but to share the newness of arnis' long, perilous and primitive journey. A journey that has courageously cut its way through time with some of the best bladed weapons every made, the Filipino fighting knives.

For more information on modern arnis read Ohara Publications' Modern Arnis: The Filipino Art of Stick Fighting, by Remy Persas About the Author: Rick Mitchell is a Southern-California-based martial artist and freelance writer. This is his first contribution to M.A. WEAPONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions