Poomsae Gurus

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am on a mission to polish up my poomsae this year and wondering if anyone out there would happen to know some genuine and current Kukkiwon poomsae gurus in Missouri or Southern Illinois. I know Miles has excellent connections and info, but Michigan is too far. I've a young family, young biz and heavy workload so I'm operating on a limited time and monetary budget. I know some old school GMs, but I am looking for folks who are really uptodate and don't care about politics.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apart from MSUTKD up in Michigan, I'd say Garth Cooley as well. He is closer to you.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Apart from MSUTKD up in Michigan, I'd say Garth Cooley as well. He is closer to you.

Thanks folks. I'd thought about Master Cooley. Indie is about 5 hours from me and manageable. I worked at the Associated Press' bureau in Indie and met Master Cooley a while ago because he was teaching a friend of mine, but I doubt he'd remember me. Somebody's also told me Master Chang Geun Lee, the MAC- Illinois State President is good, but seeking him out might strain some old loyalties I have in Chicago.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks folks. I'd thought about Master Cooley. Indie is about 5 hours from me and manageable. I worked at the Associated Press' bureau in Indie and met Master Cooley a while ago because he was teaching a friend of mine, but I doubt he'd remember me. Somebody's also told me Master Chang Geun Lee, the MAC- Illinois State President is good, but seeking him out might strain some old loyalties I have in Chicago.

Which loyalties in Chicago?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...but seeking him out might strain some old loyalties I have in Chicago.

I understand this. you know, you could call and ask if he would have an issue with it. He is very reasonable and it would be the right thing to do.

I used to ask my original Instructor if they had a problem with me training with so and so... just out of respect. Not that I ever got a "NO", but still....

Unless you know for a fact they have issues with eachother, I say ask and explain you shouldn't have any issues.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are two I could refer you to in the Missouri bootheel area.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, Master Cooley is excellent. He and MSUTKD put on quite a show in a local tournament in December. Both are great guys and awesome competitors. I think they are putting on a competition poomsae seminar series starting in a few weeks at KTA in Indie.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
, but seeking him out might strain some old loyalties I have in Chicago.
I would respectfully suggest that anyone who would have a problem with you seeking to improve knowledge, especially in an area that needs technical standardization & that need seems to be increasing with Pomsae world championships, is not really loyal to you or your needs & what is best for you & your students, at least in the technical & narrow area of Poomsae.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am on a mission to polish up my poomsae this year and wondering if anyone out there would happen to know some genuine and current Kukkiwon poomsae gurus in Missouri or Southern Illinois. I know Miles has excellent connections and info, but Michigan is too far. I've a young family, young biz and heavy workload so I'm operating on a limited time and monetary budget. I know some old school GMs, but I am looking for folks who are really uptodate and don't care about politics.

I would buy the Kukkiwon DVD set and then if you can go to a Kukkiwon Instructor Seminar.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would respectfully suggest that anyone who would have a problem with you seeking to improve knowledge, especially in an area that needs technical standardization & that need seems to be increasing with Pomsae world championships, is not really loyal to you or your needs & what is best for you & your students, at least in the technical & narrow area of Poomsae.

It's not so much that someone would have a problem as it is my sense of old school loyalty to someone who has been and still is very instrumental in my Taekwondo development.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've done both, but I'm seeking to expand on that.

I would say just get a good training partner who can give you feedback and grind out reps. Unless there is a poomsae national team member type in your area, the probability of finding the kind of person that you are looking for is low. Grinding out reps develops questions in your mind about specific areas in specific poomsae and then the next time you have an opportunity to train with the Kukkiwon instructors or a pioneer, then you can ask them.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Steven Dunn of Jackson, Mo.;

Master Tim Wall of Sikeston, Mo., (former student of Dunn);

and GM Jeff Forby of Murphysboro, Ill., (Dunn's former instructor);

are three of the best TKD forms guys I have ever seen.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks much

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

ArchTKD,

If you're looking for the most up-to-date Kukki-TKD poomsae folks, I'm not sure Master Tim Wall is your guy. He's a great guy & a great MA-ist, but I'm not sure he's able to go through the latest things in the texbook or what we learned at FIC Chicago. I'm not sure about the other two gentlemen. I don't know them.

Perhaps Masters Southwick or Cooley can point you in a direction (if that's where you're headed.)

Latest Discussions