U.S. Open

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who is going to be in Austin in February? I will be there with a few students but not taking all of them simply because I do not want my parents to waste money on a tournament there child is not completely ready for. I have heard the numbers are going to be down again this year, maybe they should have keeped it in Vegas more of an excuse for people to go.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have some personal things going on and will not be there. I have a few friends that will be, but sadly I wont.

I am curious to know what the numbers will be like though...

keep us informed if you go.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am going for Sport Poomsae, then go back to Dallas, to train then go back on Sunday again for fighting on Monday.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Who is going to be in Austin in February? I will be there with a few students but not taking all of them simply because I do not want my parents to waste money on a tournament there child is not completely ready for. I have heard the numbers are going to be down again this year, maybe they should have keeped it in Vegas more of an excuse for people to go.

They had to have it in Austin due to financials, Austin has the grant program.

I say BOYCOTT the US Open and go to the Dutch Open in March. Why should members support the USAT when they USAT does not support its members! An Election should have taken place last year, they still have not posted the Candidates!
Word has it that Askinas and Company are circumventing the N&G and in fact trying to eliminate the N&G completely by changing the bylaws. My guess would be because the N&G committee did not put Herb on the Ballot! If my guess is correct then the N&G is doing their job!

Anyone that supports any USAT event supports this outrageous behavior! In my opinion.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dunno why they would move to austin. Vegas is a huge draw for intl competitors. The usat making a mistake

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Dunno why they would move to austin. Vegas is a huge draw for intl competitors. The usat making a mistake
USAT is making another mistake? Excuse me....I need to find that shocked look expression...:eek:...ahhh...there it is.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I say BOYCOTT the US Open and go to the Dutch Open in March. Why should members support the USAT when they USAT does not support its members! ......

If its close and convienient, I would go. If I still lived in Texas I would probably go. I would only take a few "good" competitors but thats it.

But I do agree, traveling and spending money on USAT events is definately not a priority now. Until things get better, it's not worth it.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score

They can not afford to have it in Vegas, Austin has a Sport Grant Program, the state of Texas will reimburse USAT for some expense of these events.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not going this year. Money is tight. No one from our school is going this year. Good luck to all of you that are going. Bring home the Gold!!!

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
They had to have it in Austin due to financials, Austin has the grant program.

I say BOYCOTT the US Open and go to the Dutch Open in March. Why should members support the USAT when they USAT does not support its members! An Election should have taken place last year, they still have not posted the Candidates!
Word has it that Askinas and Company are circumventing the N&G and in fact trying to eliminate the N&G completely by changing the bylaws. My guess would be because the N&G committee did not put Herb on the Ballot! If my guess is correct then the N&G is doing their job!

Anyone that supports any USAT event supports this outrageous behavior! In my opinion.
Our school will be taking 5 elites kids to either the Dutch Open or the German Open. I would go but they don't have Competitive Poomsae. I researched and the European has a Poomsae Open in the fall only.

Maybe Korean Open??? :)

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There is Poomsea competitions in Europe 2011:

Spanish open 27th and 28th of March
Belgium open 9th of April
Danish open 30th of April
Austrian open 18th of June

..and more..:)

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is Poomsea competitions in Europe 2011:

Spanish open 27th and 28th of March
Belgium open 9th of April
Danish open 30th of April
Austrian open 18th of June

..and more..:)
Question for those interested in more Poomsae competition...well actually two questions. 1) Were you always more interested in Poomsae competition as opposed to sparring? 2) If not, why the big change in looking for competitions with poomsae in them?

Lastly...Any of you planning on going to the US Open National Hanmadang in August?...ok that was three questions. :)

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Question for those interested in more Poomsae competition...well actually two questions. 1) Were you always more interested in Poomsae competition as opposed to sparring? 2) If not, why the big change in looking for competitions with poomsae in them?

Lastly...Any of you planning on going to the US Open National Hanmadang in August?...ok that was three questions. :)
To answer that:
Question #1) No, I was always more interested in sparring since regular poomsae competition is just a dead end. Its just another form competition.

Question #2) Since there World Poomsae Competition introduced and the US is participating in it, there is a goal to reach EVEN for us old, almost retired fighters to compete in. Now the role is reverse. For me, who doesn't have a higher goal in fighting anymore, ie..US team, fighting competition is just another fun thing to train and compete in.

So, when I am looking for a competition with SPORT POOMSAE division included, then I can participate in both. You know, kill two birds with one stone. As for international open competitions, and its only offers sparring only. I do not go. For 2 reasons: 1 there isn't any Ultra/Executive/Golden Seniors, ie..33+ of age, divisions being offers. 2- There isn't any Sport Poomsae competition offers. Why go when there isn't anything to compete in.

Korean Open has both, but no Ultra fighting but I'm ok with that. The Pan Am Open has 2 events, Sport Poomsae & Sparring, within 1 weekend recently and I need to talk to my instructor about that too AND it is in our back yard along with other violent activities.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for international open competitions, and its only offers sparring only. I do not go. For 2 reasons: 1 there isn't any Ultra/Executive/Golden Seniors, ie..33+ of age, divisions being offers. 2- There isn't any Sport Poomsae competition offers.

Doesn't US Open have ultra divisions in sparring as well as poomsae competition? I heard that.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't US Open have ultra divisions in sparring as well as poomsae competition? I heard that.
Yes the US Open has 2 events now. They separated it out AND changed the name to "THE TECHNICAL CHAMPIONSHIP" we need to kick someone for coming up with that title. Sparring is not 'TECHNICAL' with the E-hogu and all? *sheesh*

I am going to it too. Majority of the Ultra women are Poomsae competitors and fighters also.

Latest Discussions