Increasing Flexibility?

T

TKDman

Hi, I have been stretching a lot recently trying to be as flexible as I can. I still can not put my foot up against a building or do a full stretch like Sean Claud VD...

tkd.jpg

I always see this stuff, yet I am never able to attain this.

I am putting so much effort into it but I am not gaining much. Could anyone tell me how to increase my flexibility dramatically without a bunch of expensive equipment or drugs? Could you link me to some sites about this or tell me of some routines? Thanks.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
When acheiving maximun flexibility, there are several things to consider. The first and foremeost is patience. I have not done rigorous stretching in several years, but if you look at my avatar, I can still get the ole foot up there. It took me a long time to get there. I did not have machines. When you are trying to acheive that kind of flexibility, it is important to strecth your body through complete ranges of motion but do not push yourself to the tear point. It's not enough to simply stretch your groin. You also need to work your hips, knees, ankles, quads, and calves. In addition to static stretching, use isometric stretching and swings. Instead of a machine use a partner to help you stretch. Some one to push your back down, to hold your leg up, to sit across form you with their feet on your ankles as they pull you forward. Proper stretching also requires a warm up to get maximum effect. Doing it once a day a few times a week is not enough. You need to stretch either with a partner or by yourself several times a day, every day. They may be light stretches, but you need at least one intense stretch and several light ones a day if you are going to go that route. Do not forget to strecth your back and your abs as well as they also effect your over all flexibilty.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I started, I couldn't even touch my toes. Doing a kick above the belt .... yea right. It took me two and a half years to do a split. I still can't do side splits (6 inches to go). But I can kick head height pretty easily now, so I'm not too concerned about the splits anymore.

Patience is key ;) Keep stretching, and it will get better.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seig and karatekid1975 are right...it's just going to take discipline and time. And patience. Unless you want to walk funny for the rest of your life, just continue with a healthy stretching regimen. Results will come eventually.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions