In a bit of a jamb.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all. In a bit of a jamb here. I am moving my student to brown belt this weekend (first one under my direction. Yikes!) and I do not have a grade certificate for him. I do not have time to order one and was wondering what you guys do as far as certificates? Any help would be great!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would test them and then if they pass, tell them there certs. will be there next week after they get made.

7starmarc

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how important the certificate is to you, your student, and your style/organization.

If it were me, I would be fine with promoting the student and ordering the certificate to be given at a later date. It's just a piece of paper, just like the belt is just is bit of cloth. The student can continue to train at the next level under you, the paper should not change that.

I've never graduated/promoted a student in martial arts, but in my "day job" I supervise the training of resident physicians. If we don't have a certificate ready, we give them a "place holder" in the graduation ceremony and send them the officially signed certificate later. Actually, most of the time, we use place holders since the certificate is a very legal document which signifies the completion of their training. Since graduation ceremonies typically take place a week or two before they are done with their clinical duties, we often withhold the real thing until they have completely discharged their duties.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Generally, I give gup (color belt) students certificates that come from our association, blank, and run them through my printer to put their names, ranks, and testing dates on them. Black belts get certificates from the association which are presented at the next major event after testing that the student attends - so that could be as long as several months, depending on the student's attendance at events, and when and where events are held.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can create certificates in any kind of decent program - either a desktop publisher, Word, whatever. But you'll have to use your own system of making them unique and, er ... ah ... unfakable.

:lookie:

Good luck with that one.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't be stressed about it at all.

The student is going to be pumped about being graded to brown belt - with that belt wraped around them they are going to more than willing to wait a while for a certificate.

If you didn't have the belt or the certificate....then i would worry but not to have the cert ready, don't stress.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't be stressed about it at all.

The student is going to be pumped about being graded to brown belt - with that belt wraped around them they are going to more than willing to wait a while for a certificate.

If you didn't have the belt or the certificate....then i would worry but not to have the cert ready, don't stress.
I wouldn't sweat it at all... Of course, we don't issue certificates until black belt in my school. And that's issued by the association...

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not an instructor, but when we test we get the belt if we earn the rank at that time of testing. the certificate comes sometimes several months after from the association and Sensei counter signs it and awards it. ( the certificate comes from the association and has Kyoshi's signature on it as well as record of it that can be checked or what have you if there was ever any question when say you moved to some where else that had my style taught at a dojo or perhaps some other one and they wished to verify what rank and training I had.

Latest Discussions