Improving side kick

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw this clip ages ago while working on my side kick and always remembered the statement that some say your taekwondo proficiency can be measured by your side kick. The more I thought about this, and the more I observed, the more I agreed.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do it as a double side kick.

Interesting.. Do you follow a writen text? Is it available on line?

In the Chang Hon system the term "Side Kick" is not really used although some may default to this shorthand for Side Piercing kick. Otherwise it's really not specific enough since there is a Side: Piercing, Thrusting, Checking, Pushing , Turning.. Kicks.

Which if any do you do for Kwang Gae?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you actually do the first kick as a side kick? The ITF has it as a side pressing kick, which is different from the "normal" side piercing kick.

Pax,

Chris

I rarely disagree with Master Spiller but...... I used to think it was "Side" Pressing but seems it is only Pressing, either inward or outward, in this case outward. Hmm , maybe we share some common lineage that this comes from:)

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting.. Do you follow a written text? Is it available on line?

We don't follow a written text. At one stage Master Rhee was talking about creating a text book but never got around to it. I suppose traveling around Australia every 3 months to conduct Action days (gradings) kept him too busy.

In the Chang Hon system the term "Side Kick" is not really used although some may default to this shorthand for Side Piercing kick. Otherwise it's really not specific enough since there is a Side: Piercing, Thrusting, Checking, Pushing , Turning.. Kicks.

Our side kick are almost exclusively with the bottom of the heel with a thrusting motion although to the knee we will sometimes use the knife edge. I am not much familiar with ITF terminology.

Which if any do you do for Kwang Gae?
Probably the side piercing kick with the heel, again not sure of the terminology you use.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably the side piercing kick with the heel, again not sure of the terminology you use.

Of note with "Side Kicks" is that the Chang Hon terminilogy does not just differentiate the kick, but gives insight into the application as well.

While there are more than 3 types of attacking motions in the system, the most prevelant are "Piercing" "Striking," and "Thrustiing."

Examples are Piercing : Side Piercing Kick, Front punch (The term Pierce does not appear in the name) Strike: Knife hand / Backfist Strike,Thrust: Side Thrusting Kick, fingertip thrust.

As with many things distinctions are not always "Bright Line" The side piercing kick uses the penetrating rotation to cause hydrostatic Shock and internal hemmorhage applied to softer areas of the body.

Thrust is used to "Cut Thru" ( IMO better choice of words would be "Penetrate". ) and typicaly has only little twist and is used to attack soft areas like the eyes, throat etc. (i.e. Fingertip / real elbow)

And Strike has the least twist (i.e Knifehand / Backfist ) and is used to break bone etc.

Then in Kwang Gae the first kick in the 2 consecutive kicks is a "Pressing" kick which by definition is used solely to attack the knee joint.

So, improving the sidekick in the Chang Hon System first involves understanding which one you are doing and the optimal execution depending on the application.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I rarely disagree with Master Spiller but...... I used to think it was "Side" Pressing but seems it is only Pressing, either inward or outward, in this case outward. Hmm , maybe we share some common lineage that this comes from:)

Oops, you are absolutely correct, sir. I just checked the respective volumes on the encyclopedia for kicks and for Kwang-Gae and neither refer to a side pressing kick but rather outward and inward pressing kicks.

I'm not sure where I picked up "side pressing kick" from, to be honest. Is this term something that GM C.E. Sereff uses? My instructor was a member of the USTF for many years before the splits happened and he went with Master Wheatley and GM Choi. His original instructor was from the Chang Moo Kwan (although a member of the ITF) so it might also have been from him.

Also, I appreciate the title "Master" but I'm not even due to test for VI dan until this summer :)

Pax,

Chris

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Without recalling ever hearing Sr. GM Sereff refer to it, I would never claim to have heard him make a mistake:)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
>>>

[QUOTE="chrispillertkd, post:
Also, I appreciate the title "Master" but I'm not even due to test for VI dan until this summer :)

Pax,

Chris[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. Reminds me of the time when I invited Nam Tae Hi to teach. he referred to me as "Master" and I was a 6th Dan. So as not to get into hot water I told the assembled that while flattered I was not a "Master" but I knew better than to correct my senior. ...They laughed.

Latest Discussions