Chang Hon Pattern - Breathing.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are not a Chang Hon student you might as well stop reading now.

One of the parameters of the Chang Hon system is to coordinate breathing with the motion. I recall General Choi saying vividly "All motions have their own breath and sine wave except connecting motion". (However, it was not unusual for him to state a general parmater without listing exceptions or stating exceptions).

Now, at one IIC when he taught, his son was there and someone asked about sequential fast motion breathing. The son said it was not practical to do a full inhale and exhale for each motion so he seemed to show a single inhale followed by a punctuated exhale.

I felt this made sense and do the same for sequential continuous mostions as well, except the exhale is continuous (Since there is no momentary stop like Fast motion there is no momentary stop for the exhale) thru the motions.

So, for all the Chang Hon people. What do you do?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why? You gonna post Secret Stuff? :D

One of the parameters of the Chang Hon system is to coordinate breathing with the motion. I recall General Choi saying vividly "All motions have their own breath and sine wave except connecting motion". (However, it was not unusual for him to state a general parmater without listing exceptions or stating exceptions).

Now, at one IIC when he taught, his son was there and someone asked about sequential fast motion breathing. The son said it was not practical to do a full inhale and exhale for each motion so he seemed to show a single inhale followed by a punctuated exhale.

I felt this made sense and do the same for sequential continuous mostions as well, except the exhale is continuous (Since there is no momentary stop like Fast motion there is no momentary stop for the exhale) thru the motions.

I do not practice sine wave when I do Chang Hon forms, but we teach the same sort of exhale/stuttered exhale/punctuated exhale for rapid combinations.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

Master Weiss, that is an interesting comment about sequential fast motions. I've done a few sequences from tul and it appears that I somewhat naturally breathe the way you said GM Choi indicated (single inhale with punctuated exhale). This is, I think fairly similar to how continuous motion is performed. I'm thinking here specifically of movements 13 and 14 in Dan-Gun for continuous and, for example, movements 9 and 10 in Yul-Gok for fast motion. The breathing is similar in both instances, although not the same: the exhalation on the fast motion techniques is stopped after each technique but the inhalation is done on the beginning of the execution of the first movement.

The techniques themselves are also performed differently IMHO (fast motion is much more aggressive than continuous motion).

I will say that I tend to be closer to a full inhale for each technique when the sequential fast motion is for kicks. Movement 18 and 19 in Hwa-Rang, for example. I don't do the second inhalation every time I perform the tul and is shallower than normal at the beginning of movement 19.

Do you by any chance recall which series of techniques was being discussed with GM Choi at the IIC?

Pax,

Chris

OP
E

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will say that I tend to be closer to a full inhale for each technique when the sequential fast motion is for kicks. Movement 18 and 19 in Hwa-Rang, for example. I don't do the second inhalation every time I perform the tul and is shallower than normal at the beginning of movement 19.

Do you by any chance recall which series of techniques was being discussed with GM Choi at the IIC?

Pax,

Chris

Sir,

Seems we are of a like mind. Since Fast has a momentary stop, the breath also has a momentary stop. The change of legs and the turn for the kicks in Hwa Rang allow time for the inhale. So, this is a distinction with a difference.
As for the sequence involved, I don't recall right now, but I will check my notes. I do recall that it was on the last day, so it had to do with an upper Dan pattern.

Latest Discussions