Self taught - still a martial artist?/"art" of boxing (info)

B

BaktoBasics

Hi everyone - hope all is well.

Well, I have my BB in TKD, and have had at elast 1 years formal training in fencing and wing chun and afew classes in muay thai.

Now, my life is getting busy. I've hit 22 and work and study take up lots of time, so, I struggle to make it to classes. I also struggle to stick to scheduled class times and find it easier to to train whenever I have time - thus, I do gym 5x per week.

They have a boxing room. If I study boxing techniques, maybe throw in some of those boxercise classes (i know i know, but, at least i'll have someone to hold the bag/mitts so I can practice better)... anyway, if I study bocing techniques, practice them and maybe have the boxercise trainer (who used to be a boxer) let me know if i'm okay - can I still say I train and study boxing???

Anyone recommend good books/ resources on the "art" of boxing?

I wont have formal training ut i'll have someone correct my mistakes as I make them. It's a pain not having time for martial arts class times (I CANT STICK TO SET TIMES) but such is life.

Thanks

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are looking to stay in shape "self taught" is fine. However, if you want to say you studied boxing, then study boxing. Allthough boxing seems simple ther are plenty of things to learn from a coach

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BaktoBasics said:

Well, I have my BB in TKD, and have had at elast 1 years formal training in fencing and wing chun and afew classes in muay thai.

Now, my life is getting busy. I've hit 22 and work and study take up lots of time, so, I struggle to make it to classes. I also struggle to stick to scheduled class times and find it easier to to train whenever I have time - thus, I do gym 5x per week.

They have a boxing room. If I study boxing techniques, maybe throw in some of those boxercise classes (i know i know, but, at least i'll have someone to hold the bag/mitts so I can practice better)... anyway, if I study bocing techniques, practice them and maybe have the boxercise trainer (who used to be a boxer) let me know if i'm okay - can I still say I train and study boxing???

I wont have formal training ut i'll have someone correct my mistakes as I make them. It's a pain not having time for martial arts class times (I CANT STICK TO SET TIMES) but such is life.

Thanks

You can certianly learn some great things from boxing. If you have the chance to do some, by all means, go for it. However, make sure that this person actually knows what they're doing. If this is along the lines of the cardio kickboxing, you want to make sure that you're going to be learning proper fundamentals, not just throwing strikes improperly.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're just throwing punches, you're not getting practice at bobbing, weaving, slipping, etc.--the defensive aspects. You're also not getting a chancde to learn to hit a moving target. So, I wouldn't think you're getting practice at all of boxing this way.

But, it'll keep you in shape, so I would say Yes, do it, but saying you're studying boxing might be an overstatement.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why would you want to do anything just so you can tell people you do it? If you want to study boxing, or any MA, do it for you. What level your training needs to be at depends on what you want to get from it. If you really want the skills you will need good coaches/trainers and plenty of practice time. If you want to tell your friends you study and train, buy a few books and hit a bag a couple times a week. I don't mean to come off as harsh and I hope I haven't, but if things are done for the wrong reasons I don't see the point. Just a pet peeve of mine I guess.

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
'Back to Basics',

Are you still training in TKD, Wing Chun, Muay Thai (sp)? I would suggest tightening up what you already know. There is a lot of information to mull-over in the stuff that you have already learned. I would say that you should concentrate on improving your skill in your main discipline--TKD, and supplement it with the Wing Chun and Muay Thai. You have put to much time into these areas to neglect them. That is just a suggestion. I say this because my instructor moved out of state, and instead of picking up a new system I just improved on what I already knew. When my instructor moved back to this area he was impressed by how much my knowledge base has increased. He then suggested three times that I open up a school. I am planning on doing that after I finish my master's degree. Like I said before, it is just a suggestion. I could be way off base.

Have a good one,

Vince

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with arnisador in that if all you are doing is throwing punches that you only getting a small portion of what is available. You need to be hitting a moving target and taking some hits. Just because you can throw punches does not mean you are a boxer. I boxed for three years before I got to spar with a pro. It was like night and day, I had been fighting GG during that time and thought I could throw a hard punch. I found out very quickly what I needed to become a good boxer.

In short, if you are not hitting someone and getting hit you are not boxing.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
vincehardy3 said:
'Back to Basics',

Are you still training in TKD, Wing Chun, Muay Thai (sp)? I would suggest tightening up what you already know. There is a lot of information to mull-over in the stuff that you have already learned. I would say that you should concentrate on improving your skill in your main discipline--TKD, and supplement it with the Wing Chun and Muay Thai. You have put to much time into these areas to neglect them. That is just a suggestion. I say this because my instructor moved out of state, and instead of picking up a new system I just improved on what I already knew. When my instructor moved back to this area he was impressed by how much my knowledge base has increased. He then suggested three times that I open up a school. I am planning on doing that after I finish my master's degree. Like I said before, it is just a suggestion. I could be way off base.

Have a good one,

Vince

I fully agree with Vince here. Refine what you already know on your own. make class when you can and be realistic about your training. Starting a new endeavor is not necessarily the answer.

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Boxers are some of the best street fighters in the world, and there is a reason for that, as The Kai said, if you want to take up boxing then study it.

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
'Searcher' is correct. Boxing is a good endeavor to go after, but unless you are able to have an opposer you'll never understand the dynamics of getting hit and hitting someone. We all harbor a natural fear of getting hit, but your martial and boxing training should take that out of you. If you don't get ring time then it is just another exercise.

The downside of boxing is that the bodily arsenal is limited as opposed to the bodily arsenal that a martial artist has access to. A boxer has his fists and his footwork. A martial artist has his fists, fingers, head, elbows, knees, hips, forearms, shins, footwork, etc to work with. A martial artist that studies a system that utilizes forms has a lot to work with even when they don't have a partner or opponent. A form will teach distance, timing, rhythem, connection, etc. If you execute your techniques just like they are practiced within the form you'll do well when confronted with hostile situations. You can practice breakdowns with or without an opponent, and still get a lot out of your training. But, just like a boxer, it is always good to have a training partner to enhance your training experience.

Vince

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BaktoBasics said:

Thanks
If the instructor was a real boxer, how about asking him (or her?) if they would be willing to trade boxing lessons for kicking instruction?

As to tapes or books, I found the recent "Ultimate Boxing Lessons" DVD's by Christopher Getz to be a great, great series. On the other hand, I did not learn boxing from a video - but from real boxing classes. However, if you took it very, very slowly, kept your balance and followed Coach Getz through his first tape "Ultimate Boxing Fundamentals" multiple times squared, you could have a good base in the basic mechanics of boxing punches. I know I picked up a lot more finesse from his DVD's than I did in class.

Some instruction could be beneficial to you as in TKD sparring, at least when and where I did it, we threw great kicks but hand techniques that often resembled very sloppy boxing.

If you are not able to get instruction in the "sweet science" try getting some of Bill Wallaces old kickboxing tapes from Panther. His tapes will add to what you already know while improving your hand techniques.

As a previous poster mentioned, though, it is far better for you not to attend his aerobic boxing classes if they teach you bad habits. Does the instructor drop his guard frequently while teaching and allow his students to do so also, as so many Cardio Kickboxing instructors do? Does he keep a balanced stance, rear heal up, center of gravity lower than someone taking a faux MA stance? Are his elbows tucked in to protect his body? Does he turn his punches slightly to protect his head while he's punching? Do his students also?

Also, does your college offer wrestling classes? You have already attained some proficiency in kick/punch styles, why not fulfill your P.E. requirement learning some grappling? Learning "real" wrestling beats learning faux boxing any day of the week.

Off topic. Sorry Searcher, you made some great points about the differences between amateur and pro boxers but the system wouldn't let me add to your reputation because I need to add to ten more people before I can give it to you again. Still great point. Original poster: take note, he speaks the truth.

OP
B

BaktoBasics

GREAT - thankyou all very very much.

They offer martial arts at university but as said, I can't make class times. I try and train whenever I can.

I'll certainly try to refine my skills in what I already know - thats a good idea. Thanks for that Vince.

Thanks to all of you.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
searcher said:
I agree with arnisador in that if all you are doing is throwing punches that you only getting a small portion of what is available. You need to be hitting a moving target and taking some hits. Just because you can throw punches does not mean you are a boxer. I boxed for three years before I got to spar with a pro. It was like night and day, I had been fighting GG during that time and thought I could throw a hard punch. I found out very quickly what I needed to become a good boxer.

In short, if you are not hitting someone and getting hit you are not boxing.
I agree..You need all aspects to become proficient..Most of this can only be learned from a coach and sparring...

Latest Discussions