Abs

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah i work out my abs alot, strying to get them as strong as possible, but im not totally sure, i've looked on the web alot about how to build strong abs, some say crunches are the best, some say twists are the best, i do 30 crunches, then rest alittle bit then 25, then 20, then i do lowerbody crunches, same sets.
what are some other ideas? and can you possibly send me a clip of a guy doing some ab workouts, like frog kicks, i dont know what they are, and i cant find a video clip.

thanks

laborn

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better yet, just do a search, you know on the blue bar above? It will bring up tons of info already in threads about abs.

I discovered today that doing 100 (each side) of knee strikes/side kick back combos does do something for the abs. But usually slow held crunches, and leg raises slow, held or bicycles with alternate elbows to knees are the best. TW

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Laborn said:
Yeah i work out my abs alot, strying to get them as strong as possible, but im not totally sure, i've looked on the web alot about how to build strong abs, some say crunches are the best, some say twists are the best, i do 30 crunches, then rest alittle bit then 25, then 20, then i do lowerbody crunches, same sets.
what are some other ideas? and can you possibly send me a clip of a guy doing some ab workouts, like frog kicks, i dont know what they are, and i cant find a video clip.

thanks

laborn

Developing good abs is going to start with a proper diet. You can do 1,000 a day, but if you're eating junk, its not going to help.

As for your question. There are many different ways to perform these exercises. You can do the crunches, as you mention, leg raises, hanging leg raises. As for the number you do...that pretty much can vary as well. You can pyramid as you mention above, or you can pick a number such as 30, and do a few sets with a short break in between.

Mike

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Developing good abs is going to start with a proper diet. You can do 1,000 a day, but if you're eating junk, its not going to help.
Mike
For visual purposes this is correct, but if what you are trying to accomplish is strong abs to support your core and to be able to take a shot in the gut bettter then a layer of fat over the muscle is not a big deal and diet doesn't matter. All depends on your motivation for working the abs in the first place.

J

Jaymeister

MJS said:

As for your question. There are many different ways to perform these exercises. You can do the crunches, as you mention, leg raises, hanging leg raises. As for the number you do...that pretty much can vary as well. You can pyramid as you mention above, or you can pick a number such as 30, and do a few sets with a short break in between.

Mike
I'm not sure he's talking about getting a six-pack, just strong abs.
Anyway, I posted a link in this thread to some good ab exercises.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jaymeister said:
I'm not sure he's talking about getting a six-pack, just strong abs.
Anyway, I posted a link in this thread to some good ab exercises.

For some reason the link is not working?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
For visual purposes this is correct, but if what you are trying to accomplish is strong abs to support your core and to be able to take a shot in the gut bettter then a layer of fat over the muscle is not a big deal and diet doesn't matter. All depends on your motivation for working the abs in the first place.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of, if you're going to take the time to exercise, wouldn't it be a good idea to make some changes in your diet as well? Seems kind of counter-productive to workout but no changes to diet. I'm certainly not the next Arnold. I eat fastfood, but if its a choice between getting a Bigmac, fries and a coke, I'd rather go to Subway and get a ham and cheese and a bottle of water.

Just my .02.

Mike

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of, if you're going to take the time to exercise, wouldn't it be a good idea to make some changes in your diet as well? Seems kind of counter-productive to workout but no changes to diet. I'm certainly not the next Arnold. I eat fastfood, but if its a choice between getting a Bigmac, fries and a coke, I'd rather go to Subway and get a ham and cheese and a bottle of water.

Just my .02.

Mike
I don't disagree, I definitely watch what I eat, but like I said, it all depends on the motivation. Ab work alone will absolutely help with core strength and the ability to take a hard shot to the stomach. For overall health and appearance, diet is very important. So the only thing I disagreed with was the part about 1,000 crunches a day not helping if you don't do the diet part.

Latest Discussions