Important safety tip

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Trust No One.

We were setting the mud separator onto the tank,
mp-85-2sc.jpg

(The red part top left corner.)

Big Jerry was running the backhoe lowering it down. I was guiding it onto the mounting bolts. We stopped for a moment to figure something out. He asked if I knew how to operate the backhoe. He smacked the wobble stick to demonstrate how to lower the bucket. When he did The separator dropped 6" ONTO MY HAND!

I yelped/swore
He raised it I glanced at the 2" Gash in my palm (where my index finger attaches) and smacked my hand to my chest, applying pressure with my right hand.
Mike wrapped some gauze and tape on it and drove me to urgent care. Betadyne BURNS... The syringe of lidocaine really hurt when the doc injected inside the wound. Every time she moved the needle while putting in the 10 stitches hurt like a sonofabitch.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust No One.

mp-85-2sc.jpg

Big Jerry was running the backhoe lowering it down. I was guiding it onto the mounting bolts. We stopped for a moment to figure something out. He asked if I knew how to operate the backhoe. He smacked the wobble stick to demonstrate how to lower the bucket. When he did The separator dropped 6" ONTO MY HAND!

I yelped/swore
He raised it I glanced at the 2" Gash in my palm (where my index finger attaches) and smacked my hand to my chest, applying pressure with my right hand.
Mike wrapped some gauze and tape on it and drove me to urgent care. Betadyne BURNS... The syringe of lidocaine really hurt when the doc injected inside the wound. Every time she moved the needle while putting in the 10 stitches hurt like a sonofabitch.

Sorry to hear you go hurt. Glad it wasn't worse...

Couple of comments on the urgent care...
1 - The only time I clean a wound before anesthesia is when it's so messy I can't see the wound edges. Then the cleaning is minimal, just enough to find the wound.
2 - Betadine? Who uses betadine any more? Chlorhexadine is much better. And it doesn't burn, even if you haven't had anesthesia yet.
3 - If you felt the stitches, the wound anesthesia was not done properly.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
oh yeah, no broken bones, bruised all to hell...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trust No One.

mp-85-2sc.jpg

I yelped/swore

Yeah... lidocaine burns like a SOB. Glad you weren't hurt worse. A crew lowering some equipment in our property yard onto blocks had a communications error, and dropped the thing square onto the foreman's hand. There was serious doubt as to whether they'd save his fingers -- but he got really lucky (and proved again why, if I'm hurt -- that's the hospital I'm going to!) and not only saved the fingers, but he's got pretty much normal use.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh mate! So sorry to hear that you got hurt like that. Hope that, despite the pain and the stitches, it proves to be relatively superficial when it comes to hampering your general life and training.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ouch!

Add me to the 'glad it wasn't worse' crowd!
Not helping any, bruises and stuff in the hand, you will feel for weeks and months!

Best healing vibes my friend, and ignore our idiocies for the time being and rest that hand!

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am right handed. I cannot believe how much I am crippled by not being able to use my left at all. The doc has me splinted and ace bandaged, doesn't want me moving it at all, from how she wrapped me, it isn't possible.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am right handed. I cannot believe how much I am crippled by not being able to use my left at all. The doc has me splinted and ace bandaged, doesn't want me moving it at all, from how she wrapped me, it isn't possible.

kind of like spraining your pinky! You never knew how much you use it until it hurts every time you touch it....
(oh, for computer, there is speech recognition!)

I am sure sleeping is going to be fun....

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sure sleeping is going to be fun....
The other night I woke up about 3 am, couldn't breathe. Somehow, the wrap on my hand came undone and wrapped around my neck.
PANIC!!!
Not the preferred way to wake up...
This happened on the 12th, urgent care had me return the 14th the 17th the 19th and the 21st, when they took the stitches out. Hopefully tomorrow's appointment will be the last. Haven't needed pain meds since the 18th. It's healed really well, IMO, although the numbness and tingling (pins and needles) in my index finger is driving me nuts, the DR said that should be back to normal in, get this, SIX MONTHS. Damn it >:
The scar is going to be about 1½ inches long right were my left index finger meets the palm of my hand. STOP LOOKING AT YOUR HAND!
My cousin's first question, before "Are you OK?" was: "That isn't your *** wiping hand, is it?" Who says my family doesn't have our priorities in order...

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On the plus side, I did find out, that when I hit that guy during sparring a few years ago, I really did break the first knuckle on my left ring finger on his face...
"Well, nothing is broken, now, but, this knuckle on your ring finger was broken and healed weird."
Yeah, that might be why, on my right hand you can see all my knuckles, on my left, you can see all but, one...