I'm too old to start learning Martial Arts! Nope...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This karateka started at age 65. Just for future reference when we get one of those perennial "I'm X age, and I am afraid I'm too old to start training" posts that seem to come around every so often.

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/templeton-994104-years-karate.html

You do not want to mess with R.L. Templeton. The 78-year-old man is becoming a karate sensation in Ringgold.

Templeton received his fourth-degree black belt from United Karate Studio in Ringgold Tuesday night. He's now the oldest person to ever earn the master karate level at his studio.

His friends and family watched Templeton show off his new skills, which he named "over the Hill," at the presentation.

Templeton started taking karate lessons when he met martial arts instructor Jessie Thornton. Templeton was 65 at the time.

He also reports that karate keeps him mentally sharp:
Templeton has now worked patiently for 13 years to get his newest black belt. To his surprise, he didn't just benefit physically from all his training.

"It keeps me mentally better than anything else."

Templeton also teaches classes at the studio. He is there almost every day.

And, he competes!

Templeton competes about twice a year. He's at least 16 years older than all of his competitors.

Rock on, Templeton Sensei!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My hats of to him.
It's nice to hear that some people in their senior years decide to benifit their body and mind with martial arts

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's so very awesome! I hope to be kickin' it right up unitl the moment I kick it. In my fantasy, they'll be carting me off the mat.

Rock on sir!

Peace,
Erik

mcgowana

White Belt
Reaction score
Great to hear that story. Issues with age are so prevelent in the western world. Most people give up on trying new things in life when they reach 30. This guy obviously lives for the day and not by his number (age).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll have to dig up some photos from my last hiking trip. If memory serves me correctly, the first folks to hike all of the 4000 footers in New England was a couple in their 60s. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no barrier to getting your butt kicked, so it makes sense that there are no barriers to keeping it safe. Good for him.
icon7.gif

Latest Discussions