? about switching arts/instructors, and kids raining in general

cjbalough

White Belt
Reaction score
My son (8-years old, Green belt in TKD, 2 years of training with the same instructor, does some tournaments and is competetive), is starting to resist going to class, but has a ball once he goes. His present class is in a small facility with only 3 to 12 students per session, ages ranging from 6 to 40 year old and ranks of white through brown. Started with the instructor at a community center/gym but that place closed down so now it is at his friends studio. Class sizes have shrunk and some of the people he looked up to have moved on. There is little consistancy of who he gets paired with for training exercises due to the inconsistancy of the group. His resistance started after taking 6 weeks off for a broken arm that was unrelated to his TKD. I keep encouraging him to go, but don't want to force the issue.

He is taking an unrelated exercise class at the local Y and he has jumped in on their karate class. It has 40+ kids ages 6-10 and white belts through green (at least that is what I observed the night I was there). They don't train as hard but he has had fun and still gets some exercise. They do competions, but it seems to be less of a focus and I don't think they do any weapons training with the kids (he does sias and bo in his TKD).

Any advice?

I'm torn on what to do becuase there are aspects of both classes that I like & I would prefer him to stay with TKD since he is adopted from Korea.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being adopted from Korea is a terrible reason to stay with TKD.
If hed rather be doing Karate, then let him.

Enjoying learning the Art is a Factor. And some people prefer different styles.
Just make sure hes positive first.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being adopted from Korea is a terrible reason to stay with TKD.
If hed rather be doing Karate, then let him.

Enjoying learning the Art is a Factor. And some people prefer different styles.
Just make sure hes positive first.

Couldn't agree more. Enjoyment will keep him involved more than a heritage he may or may not feel any afinity for. There is a time and place for that as well, but he will be best at choosing it.

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
There could be ways to encourage him to re-start his love affair with TKD... speak with his instructors and see what they think...

But if he does prefer another martial art, don't think of the time spent at TKD as a waste. He learned to love martial arts, and really, the difference between Karate and TKD is like the difference between how the language is spoken, not what the words say.

Your investment in his martial arts is never wasted if he continues to assimilate the values and hard work ethic he has learned in his first choice into his martial arts life. As long as he keeps training his body and mind and respecting himself, the belt color and rank don't really matter at all. He will thank you for your flexibility, when he's older... the first martial art we (or they) choose for our kids isn't necessarily the one that is right for them, deep down. We can only guide them based on our experience, and then let them adapt to whichever fits them best. Each martial artist is different, and fits a different style. Maybe trying Karate will show him how much he loved TKD and how much more comfortable he is in his original style.

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I applaud your concern and obvious interest in your son, but don't over-think this situation. Believe me, you are lucky that your child is interested in the martial arts at all and not constantly glued to video games.

He is 8 yrs. old. If it were my son, I would let him do what he enjoys. The important thing is that he is enjoying the martial arts and your being supportive of HIS interests will be invaluable to him. His ethnicity is irrelevant. He may want to pursue a korean art later, but it needs to his choice for his own reasons.

He may just enjoy the number of kids his age in the second class you mentioned. This is important to him now. Later, maybe not so much, but if this is the easiest way to keep him involved, then so be it. Believe me, his time spent in TKD is not wasted. He more than likely learned some things that will help him in his new endeavor and may return to TKD later to finish what he started. Hmmm... maybe he will become proficient in both styles and a very well rounded martial artist. Sounds like a great end result to me.

James

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I made the mistake of forcing my son to continue with TKD after he lost interest. Maybe for some it works out, but after attaining his 2nd degree BB and turning 18, he left and never took another martial art again. It ruined his interest. If I had to do it all over again, I'd have let him take soccer instead.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that it sounds like the social aspect is more important to your kiddo right now. Let him jump to the other class if he wants. I am sure it can still be a fulfilling experience for him with you around to guide him.

tayl0124

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but can I ask you how muck Karate is at your Y, and how often and long are the classes. Trying to compare prices from different YMCA's.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but can I ask you how muck Karate is at your Y, and how often and long are the classes. Trying to compare prices from different YMCA's.
You have made a Thread about this already - People will Reply there if they choose to.
People who put Ads in the Newspaper dont go around asking People if they saw their Ads in the Newspaper :)

tayl0124

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You have made a Thread about this already - People will Reply there if they choose to.
People who put Ads in the Newspaper dont go around asking People if they saw their Ads in the Newspaper :)

Your right, they don't, especially if they haven't posted their ad yet!

Except that if you notice, I posted in this thread about 45 minutes before I decided to create that thread. My comment in here was directed at the op, whereas after the fact I thought about asking the general public(MT) about their experiences.

But enough banter about this. If the op wants to respond to my post than great, if not oh well. I will not continue this conversation here.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your right, they don't, especially if they haven't posted their ad yet!

Except that if you notice, I posted in this thread about 45 minutes before I decided to create that thread. My comment in here was directed at the op, whereas after the fact I thought about asking the general public(MT) about their experiences.

But enough banter about this. If the op wants to respond to my post than great, if not oh well. I will not continue this conversation here.

Oh.
:uhyeah:

My Mistake, Good Sir :)

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I enrolled both of my sons into TKD and they were enthusiastic enough initially, but tired of it after about 6 months. I really fought the urge to force them to go, but ultimately I want them to take up the martial arts cause they want to not because I forced them to. I enjoy and love the martial arts and would love my sons to feel that same love, but I know I can't force them to love anything. All I can do is be there for them and hope they gravitate back to it some day.

OP
C

cjbalough

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I think his desire to move on has less to do with the style (TKD va Karate) and more to do with the change in facilities and class dynamics. We went to TKD on Monday and the instructor called my son out on how he has gone from one of his preimeer students, always gung-ho, rarely missing a class....to being average at best, and backsliding with some of his skills. I realized that he was right and that this change in heart started as the class moved facilities. In the past year it went from an old historic comunity center (where the program was a fixture), to a flashy new replacment community center (where this program got in the way of other priorities), then to the present studio (where the program is existing but not thriving). With the transition of facilities, he has lost some friends and role models, the structure of the class has changed...

My son & I had a nice talk after Monday's class. I presented his instructor's words as a challange and told him that he needed to think about what he wanted to do. Since we are paid up through the end of the month, my son will be taking part in the TKD class and the Karate class (one day a week each) untill then and at the end of the month we will have another conversation to decide what he would like to do. I have a sence of commitment to his current instructor, but feel it is probably time to move on. We may look into other facilities/programs but want to avoid the places where $ runs the show. One thing I like about his TKD instructor is that he does it solely becuase he loves it, class fees mostly go to the studio to cover the bills.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I think his desire to move on has less to do with the style (TKD va Karate) and more to do with the change in facilities and class dynamics. We went to TKD on Monday and the instructor called my son out on how he has gone from one of his preimeer students, always gung-ho, rarely missing a class....to being average at best, and backsliding with some of his skills. I realized that he was right and that this change in heart started as the class moved facilities. In the past year it went from an old historic comunity center (where the program was a fixture), to a flashy new replacment community center (where this program got in the way of other priorities), then to the present studio (where the program is existing but not thriving). With the transition of facilities, he has lost some friends and role models, the structure of the class has changed...

My son & I had a nice talk after Monday's class. I presented his instructor's words as a challange and told him that he needed to think about what he wanted to do. Since we are paid up through the end of the month, my son will be taking part in the TKD class and the Karate class (one day a week each) untill then and at the end of the month we will have another conversation to decide what he would like to do. I have a sence of commitment to his current instructor, but feel it is probably time to move on. We may look into other facilities/programs but want to avoid the places where $ runs the show. One thing I like about his TKD instructor is that he does it solely becuase he loves it, class fees mostly go to the studio to cover the bills.
Well, heres hoping it all works out well. :)

tayl0124

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would also consider having a conversation with the instructor and tell him how things have changed from one location to the next. Maybe he is clueless to how much the surroundings have changed the class. If you say that the once thriving class is no longer thriving, maybe other people felt the same way and moved on sooner.

OP
C

cjbalough

White Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to thank those who gave feedback on this. My son is indeed moving on to the Karate class. I talked to his TKD instructor and he was the ultimate gentelman!! (even letting my son keep some equipment and a really cool competition uniform that were loaned to him) His heart is to see my son succeded and grow and he understands the situation and the need for a change. He left us with open arms and an open door - My son has an open invitation to visit and recieve special training if he ever wants to "work on anything" ...he is always welcome as he will always be part of the family.

I hope the Karate instructor is half the man that his TKD instructor is! Score 1 for the community center training school...and the do it becuase you love it and want to give back type of instructors.

Now, my next question: Once my son gets his feet planted here and decides to start tournaments again, what should he enter as? A beginner in his new style or should he enter as intermediate? wouldn't he have an unfair placment (particularly for sparring and weapons) if he were to enter as a beginner? Should I just hold him back from compeeting till he advances in rank in his Karate class?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wanted to thank those who gave feedback on this. My son is indeed moving on to the Karate class. I talked to his TKD instructor and he was the ultimate gentelman!! (even letting my son keep some equipment and a really cool competition uniform that were loaned to him) His heart is to see my son succeded and grow and he understands the situation and the need for a change. He left us with open arms and an open door - My son has an open invitation to visit and recieve special training if he ever wants to "work on anything" ...he is always welcome as he will always be part of the family.

I hope the Karate instructor is half the man that his TKD instructor is! Score 1 for the community center training school...and the do it becuase you love it and want to give back type of instructors.

Now, my next question: Once my son gets his feet planted here and decides to start tournaments again, what should he enter as? A beginner in his new style or should he enter as intermediate? wouldn't he have an unfair placment (particularly for sparring and weapons) if he were to enter as a beginner? Should I just hold him back from compeeting till he advances in rank in his Karate class?

Do Not Hold Him Back.

Youre forgetting that in Karate, he wont just get Thrusted into Tournaments. THEY wont let him Participate unless theyve seen him Spar Karate in the Dojo at least Once or Twice.

Hell, talk to the New Instructor. Ask if he can be Paired Up for some Free Sparring, just to see how he fares under the New System.
It cant Hurt. (Well, At Least Not In A Metaphorical Sense)
And if you Explain it in the sense that hes interested in Competitions, youll only be Accelerating the Inevitable.

Now as long as he doesnt have one of those Weird Guard-less Stances, he should be ok.
Karate and Taekwondo can be quite Similar in some ways.
He will need to Re-Learn some Tactics, but Sparring is Possibly the Best Way of doing that anyway.

In any Case, I say not to hold him back, because;
A: Its Unnecessary due to the Training itself seeing if he can do it. You dont let White Belts into the Olympics, eh?
B: Itd Irritate Him, whether he Admitted it or not.

Anyhow.
Thumbs up for the TKD Instructor!

OP
C

cjbalough

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks,

We will talk to the instructor prior to his first tournament and as he begins to take the new class full time.

I should have clarified that the tournaments he has done were "open style" formats with the vast majority of competitors (~95 %) being karate stylists so there will be no issues with him sparring under a new style. In his most recent events (as a TKD green) he has been competetive and placed in the middle of the pack (say betwene 5th and 12th out of 20 kids) which I think is good considering he was on the bottom end of his division for both age and rank. (7 years old in a 7-9 age grouping). If he does any tournaments this fall it will be one or two of these larger open style events, and/or a more casual fund raiser series at another local Karate studio.

Also, his prior instructor has advanced black belts in TKD and Karate and teaches with a slant towards both competition fighting and real word street self defense. So, I don't think there will be too much of an issue for him to switch styles (other than modifying his stances and learning new forms, and japanese terms.)

Last edited: