I'm testing tonight

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow Rachel

Advanced Blue already.. where does the time fly? You haven't been training a year yet if I remember correctly.. November or thereabouts right?

What's your schools time frame til Black if you don't mind saying?

Now take those 1000 air punches and do the same on a bag.. :)

Congratulations~!

Tess

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tess, My instructor told us probably 3-4 years to black belt. We do seem to be moving right along. I go 3 nights a week for an hour or so and sometimes I go in on the weekend after work and practice for an hour or two. I've only missed one class since I started in November and that was for my Grandfathers wake. And I went to the Dojo afterwards to work out. A good stress reliever. I love to punch the bag. It's one of my favorite things to do. But punching the BOB is even better.:)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by rachel
Tess, My instructor told us probably 3-4 years to black belt. We do seem to be moving right along. I go 3 nights a week for an hour or so and sometimes I go in on the weekend after work and practice for an hour or two. I've only missed one class since I started in November and that was for my Grandfathers wake. And I went to the Dojo afterwards to work out. A good stress reliever. I love to punch the bag. It's one of my favorite things to do. But punching the BOB is even better.:)

Yes you are moving right along Rachel:)
BOB is fun.. though I prefer Alex.. or Chad.. or Seig.. ;)

Good Girl.. keep it up~!!

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tess, How long did it take you to reach black belt? And how many hours did you train a week just for you. For your techniques.... I know you're an instructor/owner but just working on your own forms.

K

Kirk

Tess, How long did it take you to reach black belt? And how many hours did you train a week just for you. For your techniques.... I know you're an instructor/owner but just working on your own forms.

I'm curious too, as to how many base techs y'all do. 154? 155?
Up to what form for black? Long 4? 5?

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Rachel,
6 and a half years it took me to reach black.

We have 154 techniques in our current IKKO curriculum, I started almost 7 yrs ago in the Tracy system in Florida. We are in the midst of transitioning this last year to EPAK, I train 5 nights a week Monday, Wed and Friday for 2 hours, Tues and Thurs spring and fall for 2.5 hours :) and when you say training just for me.. the teaching actually teaches me more than working by myself :)

Kirk, 2 man form is the IKKO black form
Long 4 is 1st Brown.

Tess

K

Kirk

Originally posted by KenpoTess
Rachel,
6 and a half years it took me to reach black.

We have 154 techniques in our current IKKO curriculum, I started almost 7 yrs ago in the Tracy system in Florida. We are in the midst of transitioning this last year to EPAK, I train 5 nights a week Monday, Wed and Friday for 2 hours, Tues and Thurs spring and fall for 2.5 hours :) and when you say training just for me.. the teaching actually teaches me more than working by myself :)

Kirk, 2 man form is the IKKO black form
Long 4 is 1st Brown.

Tess

So is your b.b. in the old Tracy stuff and new EPAK stuff combined?

K

Kirk

I was promoted to Black by Mr. Conatser and Mr. Seigel.. I'm 3rd Generation under Mr. Parker.. I think that tells all there Kirk..

Ooooooooooookay .. didn't mean to start anything, was just asking. :shrug:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's that transition from Tracy to EPAC. All the numbered forms are the same, a huge number of the techniques are the same ... but different names. I have a Tracy Black Belt visiting my school now to learn our applications. It is interesting to see where I came from. I remember moving like that!!! He is good, and rocks ... just a little different, and speaking of testing, he is doing this to get ready for his 2nd Black in his system. That says a lot that you check your ego at the door and are willing to explore options to what you have been taught.

Mr. C promote someone who does not deserve it, Hah-hah-hah-ha-ha. I know that is not what you were implying Kirk ... inquiring minds just wanted to know. Tess, knowing Kirk, he probably did just want to know, he does not have a frame of reference except, Steven LaBounty, Gary Swan (Mr. Conatser's old instructor), and a slew of NCKKA black belts at a seminar in the spring. He saw some of the Tracy Kenpo, but it is hard to tell the difference unless you have enough experience to see the difference.

Oss Yall

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was promoted to Black by Mr. Conatser and Mr. Seigel.. I'm 3rd Generation under Mr. Parker.. I think that tells all there Kirk..

IMHO, very respectable lineage :D

:asian:

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
It's that transition from Tracy to EPAC.

Well put sir.

So is EPAC Ed Parker's American Cenpo? ;)

Latest Discussions