rank and rank

S

Scott Bonner

Today, my "rank" at martial talk (green) surpassed my rank in real life (blue). There's a sad little lesson there somewhere, about me spending more time online than on mat.

Anyone else have that problem?

Peace,
Scott

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Scott Bonner
Today, my "rank" at martial talk (green) surpassed my rank in real life (blue). There's a sad little lesson there somewhere, about me spending more time online than on mat.

Peace,
Scott

nah..we don't have a mat...we got concrete...*L

Guiseppe Betri

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting what we find out about ourselves through something as simplistic as a rank structure on a message board. Mr. Bonner, what is important is what you decide to do right now.

OP
P

pineapple head

Just read the signature below,:rolleyes:
Lets all throw our pc's away:D

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by pineapple head
Lets all throw our pc's away:D

And this from the guy who has 4 or 5 of them.

He even has a laptop in his car to pass the time while he's stuck in traffic

Les

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Scott Bonner

Peace,
Scott

Are we comparing Apples to Apples or even Apples to Oranges?

Nope, the ranking system here has nothing to do with your real world rank. You can go train for 12 hours aday on the matt and then post three responses a day, and eventually your rank here will out rank your rank in the world. Why, this rank in this forum is based upon posts only, not the quality of those posts. Yet, I would bet that your techniques are judged upon the quality of them, not on hom many you can execute, whether they are right or wrong.

Yes, one must not get caught inthe online trap and still have a real life. :D Yet if you can train and post and share here then I say you get the best of both.
:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
information, sharing, and learning. Our fingers and minds (hopefully) work a lot faster than our bodies when learning to move.

Keep working, this has nothing to do with rank in the "real world." It is what it is, another medium for sharing or teaching. You can learn from anyone, be humbled, or choose to be embarassed.

"Just cuz belt color show, it don't mean you know" to paraphrase. I have students who "understand" movement and Kenpo far better than I did at their rank. Partially through how I chose to teach, but primarily through their efforts off the mat. I only have them for a few hours a week - for some of them, they choose to pursue learning through their own efforts. Books (Infinite Insights, The Encyclopedia of Kenpo, etc.) which were not available when I was coming up, DVD's or VCR tapes, and the Internet .... plus a MUCH larger number of seminars are available, are a few of the things that make the KenpoWorld more "available" to the student who wants to pursue the Art at their own pace.

GOOD FOR THEM & KUDOS

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Scott,

within your profile you can insert a new title, instead of using the rank. I do this and so do others. It is your choice. If you choose to do so and need help dro pme a line and I will wlk you through it :D.

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Scott,

within your profile you can insert a new title, instead of using the rank. I do this and so do others. It is your choice. If you choose to do so and need help dro pme a line and I will wlk you through it :D.

Yes, I changed my title and avatar to duck this issue as well.
I think I'm a 2nd Black on here now, but yes, the standards are Not the same.
I can assure you that the requirements for Black Belt here on MartialTalk are not comparable in any way to the requirements at my studio.

For one, I don't have to do 5 training camps and 15 tournaments to make 1st Black on MartialTalk. Not to mention the physical proficiency.

And I also posted on another thread somewhere. This is Martial "Talk."
:eek:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I figure if it gets to be a concern, I can start charging for the 'belt tests' and ask for videos of folks doing techniques.

:D

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Well, I figure if it gets to be a concern, I can start charging for the 'belt tests' and ask for videos of folks doing techniques.

:D

Surely you mean videos of folks typing on their keyboards!

By the way, I can type in with the first finger of either hand, is that the same as doing my techniques on both sides?

Les

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:rofl:

Well, whatever videos they send, they better be fully dressed. :D

OP
S

Scott Bonner

I figure rank here is a reflection of how much break time I get at work. :)

Thanks for advice on how to change the avatar. I already know how. I used to have a little purple belt under my name, then I got promoted to blue and decided I'd rather not bother trying to recolor and re-save the belt icon.

Guisseppi, I know you're long gone (bu-bye!), but I have to comment that I do train, every chance I get, 3 to 4 times a week with my brother and a few times a week by myself. It was just a comment on how I'm still doing more time online than onmat (a misnomer, since I work out on concrete at a local park, mostly), and how little one has to do with the other.

Peace,
Scott

Latest Discussions